Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Bags

10 years, then every 2 years thereafter.

i know it says that its 10 years but how do you test them u cant blow them up and repack can you

The inflation system is not unlike a solid rocket booster (see How Rocket Engines Work for details). The air bag system ignites a solid propellant, which burns extremely rapidly to create a large volume of gas to inflate the bag. The bag then literally bursts from its storage site at up to 200 mph (322 kph) -- faster than the blink of an eye! A second later, the gas quickly dissipates through tiny holes in the bag, thus deflating the bag so you can move.

like to know how you check that its like we don't check ejection seats work by sitting in them and banging out must just be a continuity check

Probably just a visual inspection and interrogation of the airbags' ECU (was digging around in my old GS, found a panel under the back seat. Took it off, found an airbag diagnostics port and a warning on the panel saying "DO NOT REMOVE" - yikes! Needless to say I put the cover straight back!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links