Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Key Wont Turn!

Hi

My Lex is have a well deserved rest for a couple of weeks awaiting a new radiator. But i went to it last night to get some stuff and try out some keys.

I have several lexus keys and was trying to work out which ones fitted the ignition, which transponders were programmed etc. So there was plenty of locking and unlocking and trying keys that didn't fit.

Then i try both of my keys i know for sure are fully functional, and the ignition wont turn, at all!

Have i confused it? The security light is flashing most of the time!

Anyone experienced or read about this before?

I have not yet re-set ecu or disconnected Battery or anything (was raining!) and the car is at a mate's, off the road.

So the key is in the barrel and it you can't take it out?

I've read that the barrel can jam on the IS200, I think this is what has happened to you. If that's the case, then a new ignition barrel is needed.

Taken from the Knowledgebase 'What to look for when buying an IS200'

"Ignition lock – Insert the key into the ignition, turn on, turn off and remove the key. Repeat this a few times. Any sticking may indicate a problem with the ignition barrel (Note that the key needs to be pushed in when turning from ACC to OFF). Cost is around £80 for a new barrel."

The keys will go in and out. But WILL NOT TURN at all.

It was fine, then 5 mins later will not turn with any key. I was messing with different kets and stuff. At one point, the car locked itself for no apparent reason and flashed the security light. Then it would not turn anymore! All three programmed remotes still lock/unlock ok.

I really hope it's not the barrell knackered as i'm saving for a radiator and cannot leave the car where it is too long!

the barrel is screwed mate - but there is a bit of light... take an aluminium/brass drift and give the barrel METAL HOUSING a sharp tap with a hammer - that norm frees it up. you can get a replacement barrel from your dealer 4 about £80 and takes about 2 weeks to arrive.

replacement takes about 30 mins total - very very easy to do.

i have written 2 guides in the workshop on how to do everything

the barrel is screwed mate

You sure its screwed mate! Oh feck! Can't afford this, just taxed and insured the other car. Looks like it'll be getting more use than i had planned!

I'll check your guides though, thanks man.

EDIT: Read the guides. Very informative, thanks.

My ignition is stuck in off position, and will not turn at all, if i pull the key, the key comes out! Is there another way of pulling the barrel out than with the key? If i get it out and give it all good clean, lube and whack (works wit the misses! LOL) might that help?

the barrel is screwed mate - but there is a bit of light... take an aluminium/brass drift and give the barrel METAL HOUSING a sharp tap with a hammer

ROB - I love you!

Put a bit screwdriver, with no bit in, onto the barrell and smacked it witha socket wrench (what i had in the car!) Worked a treat. Still can't drive it until i replace the radiator, but its one less problem to worry about.

Do you think that it is likely to jam up again, and should be replaced before it does? I will spary some silicone lube in it. Hopefully that will help along.

yes, mine started the same way - it siezed totally after a while, even after stripping it down and giving it a good clean and lube didnt help. it lasted about 3 months before it siezed

a new one is £80 thats less than a tank of petrol!

But £80 is a lot of money to me at the mo. I have 4 cars, 2 bikes, a TV, home cinema system and a massive apartment that I cannot afford.

I'm living way beyond my means and making my contribution to the credit crunch!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links