Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Installed Chinese CarPlay - and it works really well!

All,

I thought I would share something that some of you might be interested in. I have been following the American Lexus owners forums for a while and noticed the discourse around a CarPlay kit made by a company called “roadtop” and sells on AliExpress as well as amazon.

I decided to take a risk and order one. The kit works with multiple Lexus models but I installed it in my late 2013 is300h with nav and without ML. 

The joystick operation is a bit finicky so if you have a knob (non nav), it will work even better. It is still fine to use with joystick too though- just takes a bit of getting used to. 

Here is a pic. Happy to provide further detail if anyone is interested. Took about 3 hours to install using a YouTube video as reference. For the ~300 USD paid, I think it’s worth it. 

A6B22966-2AD7-4032-AF21-E9AF77D1C57B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well it looks nice on the screen; I suppose the installation instructions were written in English; did you have to take your dashboard apart to install the kit? 

The instructions are in a Chinese form of English and it takes a bit of time to interpret them correctly; however not much can go wrong as the connectors only fit one particular slot on the back of the radio. If anyone has the exact same car as I do (2013 is300h w/ nav & joystick w/o mark levinson) I can provide detailed instructions.

The difference with the knob controller (non nav) is that you need to install an extra cable (included in kit)

Other screen sizes from later model years also require extra cables that are included in the kit and / or some adjustment to settings. From what I can find on the US forums a lot of people got it to work well though (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/946189-new-wireless-carplay-androidauto-for-oem-10-25-screen-14.html)

Yes you do need to take apart center console and remove glove box to access everything. This takes about 30 min and the video to do it is here. It’s only a couple of screws and with the right precautions (panel removal kit + blankets against scratches) you will be fine. 

The roadtop kit comes with one box (not two like beat sonic) so the install is actually easier. This is good because the space behind the glove box is a little more cramped with our hybrids (there is some brake modulator there)

Link to the roadtop kit:

US $288.60  22% Off | Wireless CarPlay for Lexus IS 2014-2019, with Android Auto Mirror Link AirPlay Car Play Functions
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt8igNM

get this while you’re at it:

US $2.24  40% Off | Car Audio Disassembly Tools Door Clip Panel Trim Removal Tools Kits Car Interior Plastic Disassembly Seesaw Conversion Tool
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNis5MQ

The responsiveness of the unit may depend a bit on your phone, I have the 13 pro and CarPlay is high res, smooth and fast like you would expect it to be. The only gripe is the joystick operation, but that too gets better after getting used to it. Also, that’s more of a Lexus problem rather than a roadtop problem. That joystick is the only thing I don’t like about this car.  

After starting the car the unit will boot automatically within 30 sec and show the CarPlay screen. You can also force start it by long pressing the menu or home button, then it takes like 5-10 sec. There is wireless and wired CarPlay though I prefer the latter as it charges my phone. 

Lastly I haven’t had the chance to test calling with CarPlay yet. There might be some issues with that and I will report back in a while once I have tested. 
What I did do was an 8-hour road-trip using Waze and Spotify, which worked flawlessly. Such an improvement, it really changes the whole car feel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, j051 said:

You’re welcome! You might try Amazon or just write the seller directly, maybe they will have a solution. What car do you have? 2013 as well?

I have 2012 GS and found the GS version of this gadget but they don't offer shipping and I couldn't find the Lexus GS version on amazon

I will message them to see what they can do about shipping. 

I think it might be the same box, just need to connect/configure cables differently. Have a read through the US threads i sent. Lots of info on there…

It looks nice indeed, but I wonder if you're not jeopardizing the 10-year warranty by installing these after-market gadgets. If there is ever an electrical problem with the car, a dealer may quickly pinpoint your DIY as the cause. Or is that fear unjustified?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Nooij said:

It looks nice indeed, but I wonder if you're not jeopardizing the 10-year warranty by installing these after-market gadgets. If there is ever an electrical problem with the car, a dealer may be quick to point to your DIY action. Or is that fear unjustified?

I don`t think that the 10 year Reflex Warranty covers multimedia systems anyway, John

9 minutes ago, John Nooij said:

It looks nice indeed, but I wonder if you're not jeopardizing the 10-year warranty by installing these after-market gadgets. If there is ever an electrical problem with the car, a dealer may quickly pinpoint your DIY as the cause. Or is that fear unjustified?

As Royoftherovers says, Relax doesn't cover multimedia anyway.

However, even if it did, the usual rule of thumb is that you may invalidate the warranty on whichever thing it is you're working on, but not for the whole car. For instance, modifying the lights may invalidate any lighting claims but it wouldn't invalidate a claim on the brakes or the cooling system etc.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Update on this: still going strong. There is a slight echo during phone calls that I need to fix. It is definitely a settings issue. Also the joystick controller is not optimal but definitely ok, I got used to it. 
For the rest, no issues. 

4 minutes ago, montecarlos said:

I'm always like oh yes I want this.

Then I watch the youtube video and see the whole interior dismantled in pieces and I think, bluetooth will do just fine 

Yes, same with me - I found that a phone holder that slots into the CD opening works well and now use Google Maps on my mobile phone - it's perhaps a touch low but I can live with it - I have a Pixel 6 and can also use Google Assistant and tell it via voice where to navigate and also make phone calls, which of course then routes through the car Bluetooth system. If you also want to listen to music over Bluetooth from the phone then you can also have the Google Maps nav over the Bluetooth too and through the car speakers. It delivers a reasonable solution without taking the car apart...

3 minutes ago, ikeja said:

Phil, i'm interested in the phone holder that slots into the cd opening. Any more information on it?

I purchased mine from amazon about 3 years ago and it's worked well - the ball joint is starting to come a little loose now but given it was under £10 can't really complain. If you put a search into amazon (or other places that sell such things) of something like 'phone holder cd slot' you will see there are plenty of them with various ways of achieving the same thing and a range of prices. The phone does sit covering some of the dash buttons but haven't found that to be a big issue and it's pretty much unavoidable unless you mount it up on the windscreen which I personally am not so keen on.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:05 PM, montecarlos said:

I'm always like oh yes I want this.

Then I watch the youtube video and see the whole interior dismantled in pieces and I think, bluetooth will do just fine 

It’s true. I was also afraid of this at first. Having done it though, it wasn’t all that scary. It was actually a good opportunity to clean below the center console.
I also didn’t disconnect the Battery

Anyway, to each their own, just wanted to report back on this option to upgrade. I am really pleased with it and would do it again if I ever get another Lexus without CarPlay. 

• Like 2

Been following your topic for a while, decided to bite the bullet the other day, although the installation was pretty straightforward, it was not without issues. After setting the switch to the correct settings, soldering audio grnd cables together, i am now realizing that i dont have any radio anymore.

@j051, when you plugged back your radio unit, did it go trough a boot sequence with a loading bar ? (im assuming it that because it spent too long unplugged). Did you have all your radios stations like before ? any channel i pick is now static sound, i wonder if i have to do anything special to get the radio again.. it almost feels like the antenna isnt plugged it but that would mean dissembling the car again...

Well nevermind, it actually took me longer to write last post than to fix the problem. Antenna cable wasnt securely connected. Everything works great, unit is responsive whether in wired or wireless, everything is as it should be 10/10 recommended.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kurowi said:

Well nevermind, it actually took me longer to write last post than to fix the problem. Antenna cable wasnt securely connected. Everything works great, unit is responsive whether in wired or wireless, everything is as it should be 10/10 recommended.

Out of interest why did you solder audio ground cables? For me it was all plug and play.

And what car (year, model, type of controller (joystick, rotary dial)?

And yes the radio does need to go through a boot sequence (the beat sonic YT video mentions it too). I never listened to radio much so I don’t know whether it erased any stations. Could well be as it was unplugged like you said. 

Because i couldn't get any audio from the unit without the two ground cables being connected.
I have a 2017 french is300h, business trim; so i have the nav, with the rotary knob.

Btw where did you end up mounting your unit ? I tried to find some space behind the glove box but couldn't find anything satisfactory

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links