Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replaced my leaking rad and now the water not circulating, everything hot except bottom rad hose and rad and the heater, i filled it slowly while engine running to try and avoid air locks.

The water pump has no play and not leaking so not sure why that would not be working!

But its getting hot within minutes of driving and steam from rad cap when released

Any help would be great....

I'm no mechanic but try putting the internal heater to it's hottest setting. There might be an airlock around there. I had a problem when flushing out the system on my old Cavalier and putting the heater to full must have allowed the coolant to recirculate round the whole system and thus get rid of the air lock.

definitely sounds like air lock to me.

Have you got any ramps or other method to raise the front of car?

Then undo rad cap, and start engine- topping up as required.

Are you filling it through the radiator or the expansion bottle? You seem to suggest you're using the radiator itself - the expansion bottle is usually the highest point in the system, so try putting more in that?

expanision bottle full, so top it up through rad.

Checked for airlock in matrix with a hose in both pipes and it flows perfectly through it both way, so looks like water pump gone, pressure does build in top hose though so maybe thermostate jamming partly open as it does allow some water through it. hoping h/gasket not gone too !

In theory, if you take the rad cap off, run the engine and rev it, water should shoot up out of the rad if the head gasket is gone and cylinder pressure is getting into cooling system. If head gasket has gone through water/oil path instead, then water in oil would show up.

If the rad hose is staying cold all the time, I would suspect that the thermostat is stuck shut and would be the easiest bit to check next.

Good luck.

So even if thermostate jammed shut, you should not get water shooting out rad ? !

Would i be able to see water on a plug if i took one out ?

Nope, if thermostat is jammed shut (and no head gasket issues) then the water is just routing around the engine. The thermostat is just blocking the route through the radiator, not the route around the whole engine. It is basically ensuring that the water warms up as quickly as possible from engine heat before allowing it to be cooled at all by the radiator.

You may see water on the plug, not really sure. If water is getting into the engine, it should be fairly obvious. The pressure under compression is much higher in the piston than it is in the cooling system so gasses will pass into the cooling system while the engine is running. I suppose in theory if you run the engine until hot, turn the engine off and then remove a plug, you should see the water in the cylinder through the plug hole (assuming it doesn't pass the piston rings and down into the sump before you get the plug out. Water mixed in the oil (producing a milky/frothy residue) will be the easiest way to see the problem, or gas/water shouting out the rad when it is running.

That doesn't sound too good :( I assume the car is used regularly and it isn't caused by condensation in the crank case. Still means you need to find the route cause of the overheating. Good luck.

That doesn't sound too good :( I assume the car is used regularly and it isn't caused by condensation in the crank case. Still means you need to find the route cause of the overheating. Good luck.

Well i will change the water pump and the thermostate anyway, so should cure it after ££££££££'s

s

Well i will change the water pump and the thermostate anyway, so should cure it after ££££££££'s

s

Any recomendation as to where to buy a head gasket set ?

s

Hi, just reading your thread,and it just don't add up.Is it mixing,is it missing.....hot on top and a cold bottom ,to me is only one thing ,,,,water pump,even if the bearing have no play,the impeler which is pressed onto the end of the shaft,would be the problem.Don't go for the head until U have pressure tested it.First check the pump.Good luck m8

s

Hi, just reading your thread,and it just don't add up.Is it mixing,is it missing.....hot on top and a cold bottom ,to me is only one thing ,,,,water pump,even if the bearing have no play,the impeler which is pressed onto the end of the shaft,would be the problem.Don't go for the head until U have pressure tested it.First check the pump.Good luck m8

but the dipstick and oil cap have now got some cream on them !

so just as well do it, will only get worse and it does do a few miles

s

but the dipstick and oil cap have now got some cream on them !

so just as well do it, will only get worse and it does do a few miles

Hi,it has mixed,u have to remove the head ,get it checked and skimmed,but i also recomend u check your water pump.If u need any help just give me a call 07900226170, and i will take u step by step.U are going to need a full head set,also wise to do your cam belt,oil and oil filter.cheers TERRY

Cheers Terry, i have a decent mechanic doing it, yep got a head gaket kit from Lexus and another water.pump to go in, doing it tomo n sat, any probs, ill give you a call ;)

Right.. had the head skimmed, and tested for pressure and all the exhaust valves are fine, a couple of inlet leak a little but taped one and pressure went up so maybe a bit of dirt.

Over £300 to have the valves redone and re shimmed so i think as it was still running fine, it will be fine ! ?

All done :driving:

Running sweet as a nut now....

Gearbox was hanging onto gears on the text drive, checked oil in box and was well low, put some in when got home but not tested it yet, hopefully thats all it is !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links