Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Little Help Needed With New Lights

Guy's - Pictures Below

Got my new LED rear lights from the US. Guess what, even though they are supposed to be 'plug and play' they are not.

In standard Euro form, the wiring loom for the rear lights has

(i) one connector for the Brake light / Rear light

(ii) one connector for the indicator

(iii) one connector for the reverse light

Now, the new LED, super duper, awesome, lights from the States has the following:

(i) one connector for one bank of LED's - inner

(ii) one connector for the other bank of LEDS - outer

(iii) space for the indicator connector

(iv) space for the reverse light

SO, I plugged in the standard wiring to one of the LED banks (outer) and plugged in the indicator and reverse connectors. Reverse light, indicator worked OK, but there was NO rear light or brake light AND obviously, I cannot connect both banks as there is only one standard brake/rear light connector.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated - before I get onto this guy in the states who has supplied goods unfit for UK use (even though they are advertised on UK eBay!)

Pictures

STANDARD WIRING

PICT0004-1.jpg

REAR OF NEW LIGHTS

PICT0003-1.jpg

Picture of lights purchased

CLICK HERE

I would suggest theres two circuits, one is the rear lights on is the brake lights.

So they're single circuit rather than the standard dual.

The standard rear/brake light will have three wires.

prob one earth, one live for the brakes and one for the rear light.

you'll have to either buy single circuit connectors and rewire it or solder the connections yourself?

but the negative will have to be split to each LED row. then one live to one set of leds and one to the other.

Edit scrub all that they look like they have three wires and are dual circuit.

May seem silly but did you try the connectors both ways? as leds only work one way.

I think anyway.

Thanks Stav.

Yea, it's a funny one!

In the first picture - the brown connector is the light/brake light and the two grey are - one for indicator and - one for reverse

In the second picture

There are two male ends (in grey), somehow, I need to plug these both into the brown female (no giggling please :-))??????????

It is............impossible!

Is there anyone that might be able to help me out with hooking these up on my car?

The guy from the US (whom I purchased from) has said he would offer a full refund, good on him, but, I would really like to see them on the car, and obviously if they were played around with, I could not send them back for a refund.

Anyone? :huh:

I don't have the time tonight Stav, going for a gym induction in 20 minutes (how boring). Will do tomorrow though.

My main concern is hooking up both banks of LED clusters to the one connector for the lights/brakes. I would not want a single cluster only lit up.

Well you need to check they work at all first, which you dont know yet.

if they do then you can just cut one of the plugs off and join it to the same wire on the other plug and it will work then. and you'll only have one plug.

Stav

if they do then you can just cut one of the plugs off and join it to the same wire on the other plug and it will work then. and you'll only have one plug.

I'm probably missing something, but surely that's no good because then the lights are just either on or off ? He needs one cluster to light up with the tail lights, and the second cluster to light up with the brake lights, presumably. Which you should be able to do but you'd have to dismantle the wiring at the car end too, to wire in the tail lights and brake lights separately.

I wonder if US cars had different rear lights, accounting for this different wiring ? What year is the car ?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on the GS, but this is for a Mark 2, right ?

All the parts diagrams that I can see show four connectors for the rear lamp, as per below, which is what your new LED seems to be expecting too.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you sure there are only three wires on yours, one can't have fallen back through that hole inside the car or something ? :unsure:

diag_1CcfPeO.png

I'm probably missing something, but surely that's no good because then the lights are just either on or off ? He needs one cluster to light up with the tail lights, and the second cluster to light up with the brake lights, presumably. Which you should be able to do but you'd have to dismantle the wiring at the car end too, to wire in the tail lights and brake lights separately.

I wonder if US cars had different rear lights, accounting for this different wiring ? What year is the car ?

I will take a look tomorrow for the missing light connection BUT on the old light, there is only THREE connection points??? Strange! Maybe with the later models there were four?

Oh! the car is a 2000 model Steve

Hey Steve - Thanks for that Toyo Diagram.

Looking at it, all I need do is purchase the socket and wire assembly (4 part as shown) and plug it all in!! I will speak to Lexus tomorrow - Once I have checked to see they work Stav!

Cheers

Phil

Well, after a hectic week and weekend so far, families, you gotta love em! I finally got around to looking at these lights again. Stav, you're a star, just needed to turn the connector around. The missing connector ended up being not a problem! Just taped the one not use up on the lights.

Anyway - as promised, pictures below!!

Standard Car

PICT0002-1.jpg

New lights fitted

PICT0005-1.jpg

Lights on

PICT0006-1.jpg

Brakes on

PICT0007.jpg

Brakes and reverse lights on

PICT0009-1.jpg

I love them ;-)

Just need to source some chrome look indicator bulbs now to take away the yellow tinge in the bottom of the lights

Thanks for the help guy's

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links