Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Information

Paul-Rizzo

Hi, I'm new here. Just need some info.

I recently changed the rear discs on my is200 due to high pitch squeaking. I got the hand brake shoes changed as well just in case. Now every time I turn left/ right or go over a speed bump a little bit aggressively, I hear the discs rubbing against something. Metal on metal sound. Which I don't understand as the front discs were changed a few months ago (they were changed a few months before the rear discs were changed) And me turning the wheel never caused this rubbing sound.

I have grooved discs on all four wheels

New pads

New shoes

The sound comes from all four when going over a bump. But only on one half of the car when turning round a corner.

metal shields on the rear of the dics catching?

They can be more wobbly than the rest of the braking system components, and can suffer with small stones stuck behind them.

If you changed the spec of the discs then you may be running too close to the shield.

Solutions can be to bend the shield gently

Did you thouroughly clean the disc to hub mating surfaces, any surface imperfections can cause quite a bit of disc run out at the pad contact points.

Did you also remove,clean and regrease the caliper sliders as these tend to rattle if not serviced correctly.

@Guy

I will try that shield bending. Didn't think of that.

@Steve

I cleaned the discs, the shields, regreased the sliders etc. But that's the thing I don't understand... Wouldn't the rubbing sound be constant, not just when I turn a corner or go over a bump.

Thankyou for all your replies.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links