Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

24 hour drive n new Rx450h

image.jpeg

I seem to get bombarded with emails to test drive the new Lexus cars so I thought why not give the new RX450H a test drive.

i currently drive the older model GS450h so I thought it would be an interesting comparison.

obviously the first thing is the size, it's huge and imposing but in a very satisfying way. Let's be honest, anyone driving one of these beasts is not shy.

it says look at me all over it. I had the F-sport models which I think is the best looking externally and of course has the biggest front grille in the land.

i should think as I pull up behind lesser mortals they must feel they are about to be swallowed.

to drive it felt a completely natural transition from my own car. It has ample power when required and although not quite as nippy as the GS equivilant was certainly no slouch. I did however find my self driving mostly in sport + , mode as this transforms the response and just makes the whole vehicle feel much more nimble. Eco was fine for pottering around but I preferred to have the extra go on tap.

one of the first things I noticed was that the exhaust note was much louder than my car. At first I felt this was intrusive but by the end of my test drive I actually started to enjoy the sportier note. This might be a love hate thing as to most absolute quite is the most important Lexus trait . The Rx, despite its huge wheels had very little road noise. On the worst road surfaces it was slightly better dampened than my own GS450h on 18" wheels. I travelled on some particularly bad concrete surfaces near Swindon which are dreadful no matter what you drive. The RX done a very good job over this surface travelling at motorway speeds.

handling again was compatible to a saloon. Models of old were a bit sloppy around the corners and under brakng but not so anymore with these new Rx. 

The smaller details within the cabin also impressed me. The new media system controls can be a bit fiddly to navigate but that just takes a bit of practice and I found it quite intuitive after a bit of playing.

i love the electric Windows, they are extremely quiet and the way they slow just before reaching the top just feels so well engineered. It sounds silly but these details just add to the refinement. The seats are very supportive although I'd like slightly more padding in the bases if I'm honest but this is a minor gripe.

to be honest after my 24 hour drive I really could not fault much with the Rx other than its has a larger turning circle than most saloons and washing that roof is going to require a step ladder.

oh, economy, I was driving this at a decent pace, in he same manner that I would my own GS, and I was achieving around 29mpg compared to nearer 27mpg in my GS. given the size of this vehicle I thought that was pretty acceptable. I'm sure if I had driven more carefully in Eco mode I could easily achieve over 30's around town.

unfortunately for me at over £50,000 this car is a little out of my price range but who knows, give it 2-3 years and let depreciation do its thing and maybe I will be considering one of these myself.

carl

• Like 5

'Breaking'! Not a word to use about Lexuses! I think maybe 'braking'?

Comfort on lousy road surfaces becoming an essential characteristic of a car in UK! certainly one I'm considering about a RX 350.

24 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

'Breaking'! Not a word to use about Lexuses! I think maybe 'braking'?

Comfort on lousy road surfaces becoming an essential characteristic of a car in UK! certainly one I'm considering about a RX 350.

Lol, predictive texting....

I prefer the light colour interior; the one I'm after is black leather, but you have to take what's there!

Did you use Cheltenham, or Bristol Lexus?

NOT sent on a Mobile....mines about 12 years old! Only used on trips in case of need!

5 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

I prefer the light colour interior; the one I'm after is black leather, but you have to take what's there!

NOT sent on a Mobile....mines about 12 years old! Only used on trips in case of need!

He mentioned Swindon but not sure.....

Did you get to test the heads up display? 

8 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

I used Lexus Swindon.

3 minutes ago, rayaans said:

He mentioned Swindon but not sure.....

Did you get to test the heads up display? 

Yes, the HUD button was on. It's quite a nice touch. Thinking back I can't remember everything it displayed but apart from speed I did notice the speed warnings that told you the current speed limit and then if you exceeded it it popped up a red circled warning of that speed. There were other things indicated but I wasn't taking too much notice which I guess highlights that it's functional without being too distracting. Talking of gadgets I also liked the radar assisted cruise control. I know this is not a new thing but I'd not driven a car with it in before. I thought it was absolutely brilliant the way you set your speed at say 70mph then if anything pulls in front of you or the car you are approaching is driving slower the brakes apply untill you match the car in front and at a safe distance. If you indicate around the vehicle in front then the cruise automatically takes you back up to your original speed setting. It also keeps you in the lane and actually steers the vehicle for you. The weirdest thing ever but clever none the less. I actually took my hand off the steering wheel for a little while and the RX just carried on following the lane around bends etc. Or at Least for about a minute when a warning comes up telling you to put your hands back on the steering wheel. Lol.

carl

• Like 2

I neve 

9 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Ooh I didn't know it steered slightly! NICE! 

Does the cruise turn off if you accelerate using the pedal? 

I never tried but I'd imagine it would like the normal cruise and then come back on once you slow to the original setting.

carl

Nice write up, thanks for that. Particularly liked the comment about approaching cars from behind and swallowing them up :laugh: Imagine being in something like a Smart and having that grille in your rear view mirror up close and personal!

Sounds like they've sorted the handling out compared to the previous Gen. I felt seasick having driven one of those. It will be interesting to see how the used market prices fall, a typical 50% drop in 3 years would see a loaded F Sport at about £25k ish I guess. That's  a lot of car for the money.

3 hours ago, DJP said:

Nice write up, thanks for that. Particularly liked the comment about approaching cars from behind and swallowing them up :laugh: Imagine being in something like a Smart and having that grille in your rear view mirror up close and personal!

Sounds like they've sorted the handling out compared to the previous Gen. I felt seasick having driven one of those. It will be interesting to see how the used market prices fall, a typical 50% drop in 3 years would see a loaded F Sport at about £25k ish I guess. That's  a lot of car for the money.

My thoughts exactly on the price depreciation in a few years.

i love my gs450h but it would be nice to have something I can easily put a cycle in etc. I'm not ruling out the nx that you have although my only concern is if I'd miss the power of my current engine.

shame they didn't put the 3.5 lt in the nx as well.

anyway, I'm 24 hour test driving the nx in 2 weeks so I'll know then.

Carl

8 minutes ago, Carl911 said:

My thoughts exactly on the price depreciation in a few years.

i love my gs450h but it would be nice to have something I can easily put a cycle in etc. I'm not ruling out the nx that you have although my only concern is if I'd miss the power of my current engine.

shame they didn't put the 3.5 lt in the nx as well.

anyway, I'm 24 hour test driving the nx in 2 weeks so I'll know then.

Carl

I don't think the NX is underpowered but compared to what you have now, and the RX, I suspect it will be lacking for you. I imagine putting a bigger engine into the NX could hurt sales of the RX, and that's not something Lexus are going to want to do in a hurry!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links