Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220 new owner with issues

Hi

I've always wanted a Lexus, ever since sitting in an is200 demo car at a motor show years back, just styled so nice inside, so I recently took the plunge. i just wish I had found this site before buying my is220.

anyway, I've done about 200 miles in it and all was well, I got up the other morning to take the Mrs to work and the fuel gauge was reading it had 30 miles range left to go and it started to feel like it was misfiring / fuel starvation after about 2 miles. So I got to a fuel station about 10 miles away hoping this would sort the issue. Unfortunately it didn't and it sounded like is was missing all the way home. Later I've looked under the bonnet to see that it's overflow had lost some fluid and the header was like a pink bubble bath but still at its correct level. The temp gauge hadn't gone above halfway.

thinking back the previous day I had checked all the fluids, when I tried to take the expansion tank cap off , it was difficult and tight, when I  finally was able to remove it it seemed to have a sealant around it just above the black o-ring seal.

i've not used the car for a few days and so had disconnected the Battery as I'd had the drivers seat repaired, so I thought I'd try it again this morning just in case it was something electrical and it reset it self. After about 2 miles I thought all was going well and it was running lovely, showing 42 mpg but unfortunately I spoke to soon, about 2 minutes later down the road again it starts to feel like it's missing with economy dropping to 30, again it's showing no temperature issues but I noticed that there is no hot air coming from the heaters.

now having read through the forum it appears that it very well could be the head gasket, but I was wondering if it could possibly be something else. I've had headgaskets go on cars before but never so rapidly. I was wondering if perhaps the thermostat, water pump or a sensor isn't working correctly? Or am I in denial 🤔 

Theres no milky residue on the cap or in the oil, and it's not smoking at all and with no lights on the dash.

Anyhelp would be greatfully received, if it is the headgasket is it a job that can be done myself, I'm fairly handy with a set of spanners.

kind regards

adrian

If your not loseing coolant that rules out head gasket. Has the header tank cap gone? Could well be thermastat , I would replace this sensor first.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Lexus-IS-MK2-220-D-Genuine-Delphi-Coolant-Temperature-Sender-Unit-/361562908481?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus|Model%3AIS|Cars+Year%3A2007&hash=item542ed42741:g:8doAAOSwV0RXtWLY

Welcome Adrian. :smile:

Despite the issues, I hope you enjoy Lexus ownership.

It does sound like classic head gasket failure, bar the lack of fluid loss.

The problem with the theory of thermostat, water pump or expansion cap failure is that it doesn't account for the misfire.  I don't suppose you have any warning lights on the dash?

The easiest way to confirm - before you start buying replacement parts - is to either buy a block tester or go to a garage that has one.

As for replacement, the engine is no different from any other diesel engine, so if you are handy enough with the spanner, I don't see why you couldn't do it yourself.  Although you would have to check the head carefully for damage when you get it off.

Thanks for the replies and the links.

the thing with the misfire is I'm wondering if perhaps a sensor isn't picking up the correct temperature and therefor messing up the fueling or the thermostat isn't opening and the same is happening. I had a car previously ( although it escapes me ) where it wasn't getting the correct reading and ran like a bag of bolts, I'm wondering if this may also be the case as until it warms up it runs perfectly. 

Well, I could be wrong, but if the thermostat was stuck, the temp display would be a bit off (mine sits a bit left of centre when hot).

Oh, and one other thing; have you tried priming the fuel system?  I know it wouldn't explain the coolant issue, but perhaps you are unlucky and have two separate issues.  It might be worth a try.

I've just text a mate to ask if he has a head gasket test kit try before i spend any more on it, (new Battery, new rear shocks, headlight bulbs in the past 3 weeks)  

Has to be the most comfortable and quiet place to be though when it's working.

Luckily it's not my only mode of transport.

How do you prime these, I can't see the usual primer bulb?

Cheers

Adrian

On the dash, to the right of the steering wheel, you have a toggle switch.

Turn the ignition on, go to the option that says priming, then press the centre switch.  You should hear the fuel pump running for a while.

It seems you have been really unlucky.  Hopefully it is an easy fix this time.

Yep, I do a few motorway miles in mine and it is a great place to do it in.  It has certainly made my journeys easier.

A quick update, my block tester arrived today.so I've started the car up and got it warm , I've carried out the test for a couple of minutes with no change in the colour of the fluid. There was foam in the header tank and so I've cleared that in case it's effecting the test (wasn't there at the start) Again carry out the test and nothing , no change. I ve then put a weight on the throttle pedal to bring the revs up to 2000 and carry out the test again, still no change in the blue fluid. The engine note did change in the middle of the last test as if it was struggling again but then it cleared and picked up again.

im hoping this means that the headgasket hasn't gone and I can start looking at other issues? 

Water was clearlypumping into the header, so rules out water pump I think , when I disconnected the bottom hose from the reservoir this seemed to be empty or nothing coming up it when the engine was running.

Anybody got any more ideas or suggestions please?

kind regards

adrian roper

Well, the test only shows that exhaust gases aren't present in the coolant.  Unfortunately, this doesn't rule out the head gasket altogether.

Foam in the header tank suggests one of two things; Either an air leak in the coolant system, or gases from the head gasket leaking into the waterways.

Although one suggestion that I have not heard of before is Radweld.  Apparently, it can cause foaming in the tank.

Of course, two of these don't explain your other symptoms, but this could be a tricky diagnosis. 

Are you sure you aren't losing any coolant?

What harm can it do at least you will know, you are starting with fresh anti freeze. Maybe somebody has put a chemicle into the system, before you owned

the car. Anti freeze bubbles and should not froth in the expansion bottle. You have no leaks thats what i would do, should be flushed anyway after so many 

years same as brake fluid.

If there is no drain plug on rad drop bottom hose. Get hose pipe in the top and flush till water comes out clear. Modern cars dont have lots of blockages, 

and i know its a long shot, but somebody may have put radweld in before. If you can catch the fluid should be pink. Dont let it go down a drain its leathal.

Ok, so I've drained the system down and flushed it through and presently it's sat on the drive ticking over sweetly again.

Fingers crossed that's all it needed.

The heaters however are still not working, at the bulkhead the in feed is hot however the out feed isn't. I've tried searching on the forum and net for answer but haven't been able to find any specific to this car.

I've bled the air from the radiator so know it's not that and the coolant level is good.

Any ideas please people?

4 minutes ago, Aroper2003 said:

Hi ,yes I've had it running for about 60 minutes now and took it for a drive up the dual carriageway , so far so good, just the heaters to sort hopefully now.

Could also be the temp sensor as i stated earlier, is the heater not even warm? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-LEXUS-IS220D-IS-220-D-MK2-4DR-SALOON-THREE-HEATER-FLAP-MOTOR-063800-0171-/401103331373?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&hash=item5d639f202d:g:IAIAAOSwJQdXCN1D

What exactly do these do anybody know.

Well looked on audi forum, all they do is blow air or not when knackered. Obviously 6 as dual air con. 3 per side. Does the car blow cold air?

as ice cold. If so i would say temp sensor and or thermastat, you have flushed the system out so rules out a blockage.

If it were me personally i would change them both.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links