Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So today my beloved IS250 SE-L was towed to the garage with a suspected blown head gasket at just 109k :sad: 

Spoke to Lexus and it's not covered under any sort of warranty (thought there was an extended 110k warranty for head gaskets?)

So the garage will give it a head test tomorrow and confirm it or not. Anyone had to foot the bill for this and if so, what am I in for?

Sorry to hear that and I am kind of suspicious... you see head gasket is never a cause, but always a consequence of something else going wrong... and that can be many things. What was you engine temps, was coolant replaced at 100k (though hit should survive longer)? How about oil, water pump (water pumps usually goes around 80-120k).

Can you spell more details of what happened.

I woudl expect any part except of consumables to be covered by extended warranty ... up to 140k, the only reason it is not covered might be that extended warranty is only for cars up to 10 years old.

Water pump was replaced this time last year. Last service was 6 months ago and I had a major one done with plugs, all fluids, filters etc changed. Only done 4-5k since. 

Engine temp wasn't high, although all the coolant had been dumped and the oil was a bit on the low side.

4 minutes ago, RNUK said:

Spoke to Lexus who said that the warranty was 3 years / 60k for petrol variants 

Yes .. standard one.. Extended one was 10 year, 140k.

Ok so you see... that is why I am saying it is suspicious. 

If what you are saying was done and done properly.. you car should b e good to go for another 100k miles. So there is only one option - when doing plugs, fluids, filters, water pump etc.. somebody made major co**-up which resulted in head gasket blowing. Otherwise there are no way you have blown head gasket after only 109k and only 5k since major service.

Even if oil was low... it is unlikely that it woudl blow head (more likely rings... ) but even this options is not possible, because oil was replaced only 5k miles ago.. so can't be that low..

Sorry.. I know what you referring to... IS220d had standard warranty extended to 110k for head gaskets, not IS250. That is because they were blowing them every 1k miles... You must be one of first people to report blown head gasket on IS250 (obviously if they confirm that is the case).

My first generation IS had over 200k on the clock when I sold it and outside of a radiator, it never needed to go to the garage unless it was for service or MOT. So it is a huge surprise to be having issues with my car this early on.

its actually gone back to the same garage that it went to for the service, so it'll be interesting to see what they say

Was that Lexus dealer who did the "major service"? One way or another I would let them understand that my finger is pointing at them... as I said head gaskets doesn't blow by themselves for no reason, certainly not on IS250s.

3 hours ago, RNUK said:

Water pump was replaced this time last year. Last service was 6 months ago and I had a major one done with plugs, all fluids, filters etc changed. Only done 4-5k since. 

Engine temp wasn't high, although all the coolant had been dumped and the oil was a bit on the low side.

If it dumped all its coolant quickly, the temperature gauge won't move since there is no coolant to measure.

I had this happen to me years ago on an old BMW.  A fan blade broke off on the motorway and split a water pipe.  I found out a little while later when the engine overheated and seized.  Luckily I was stationary at the time.  After it cooled down, it did actually start again, but the head gasket was leaking badly.

So, I assume your car isn't running on all 6 cylinders then?

If it has fried, then I suppose it would depend on why it has lost all its liquid as to what/who is to blame.

I was on my way to pick my son up from school and as I pulled into the car park, the cabin began to fill with a very hot smelling smoke and there was also smoke coming from under the bonnet, mainly on the left hand side (looking out from the car). 

Luckily, the boys school is next to an Asda so I went in and grabbed some coolant just to get something in there. I filled the coolant reservoir back up and let it sit for 10 mins before starting it again. Started no problem and ran for a few minutes before beginning to smoke again, both from the engine and through the vents.

Greenflag came out and he looked over it. Took the pressure cap off to see the coolant bubbling away. He also put his hand over it and smelled his hand, saying there was definitely an exhaust smell. No visible signs of mayo under the oil cap and no sign of oil in the coolant reservoir.

Pressurised coolant tank does suggest head gasket failure.

If the waterway of the gasket was breached, the oil channel could still be intact, which would mean no water and oil mixing, so no mayo under the cap or in the reservoir.

There should have been white smoke coming out of the exhaust as well?

Did the coolant level drop after you ran it for a bit?

Didn't notice anything abnormal from the exhaust, but then again I was more concerned with what was happening at the front. I only ran it for a few minutes and there was no noticeable drop in coolant level. But, it's not the easiest place to check 

7 hours ago, RNUK said:

It was an indi that done the major service. They have looked after all of our cars for years. 

Pehaps my mistake for not going to a dealer 

It is not necessary bad thing.. it would be very hard to prove to Lexus dealer they did something wrong on the car. And If you often use same indie.. you might be able to persuade them to cover at least some costs, because there was definitely something wrong with last service. Did they put pink coolant at least?

• Like 1

It looks as though it was due to coolant loss - I think it's unlikely that the gasket (or one of them - there are, of course, 2) went first, but we'll have to see what the verdict is.

I'd ask them how much it will be to get the head off and check it and the cylinder bores, before committing to the whole job. They won't be able to give a precise quote for parts until they know what damage has been done - eg is the head warped or even cracked? - can it be salvaged?, will it need skimming?, if so, do you need the other head skimmed or replaced as well to keep engine balance?, have the rings picked up in the bores?, are the valves damaged? - lots of unknowns yet and expensive things might come out of the woodwork, so to speak!

It could easily be - but I suspect a new engine would be way more than the car is worth. There should be one in a scrap yard somewhere - various web sites help you send circular messages to lots of yards to seek parts.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links