Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've put a deposit with a dealer on a 2005 (05) GS300SE (Sunroof). The vehicle has a warnng light showing, which I am told is "an oxygen sensor" problem. The dealer has booked the car in with the local Lexus main dealer (Poole, Dorset) for rectification (I've checked with Lexus Poole that this is the case). My arrangement with the dealer is that I will purchase the vehicle subject to the satisfacory completion of the work by Lexus, Poole (at the dealer's expense). This is due to take place on 14th Feb (that is, in about ten days time).

However, in the meantime I'm reading about how this might well be a faulty ECU issue, and that Lexus Poole may well clear the warning light problem only for it to reappear (after I've bought the vehicle). Obviously, I'm dead worried I might be letting myself in for a £3K repair at some time shortly (on a car costing £10,500) and this is out of the question for me financially.

Can you guys give me the benefit of your advice as to what to do next? I suspect if I try to pull out of the deal I stand to lose my deposit. And anyway, I'm dead keen on this motor. What would you do in my position?

Thanks. :crying:

Might be an idea to check with Lexus Poole what they are expecting to do to the car and what your dealer has instructed. Also, before taking delivery of the car ask to see the vehicle safety report that Lexus Poole will issue when they do whatever work on it that they have been authorised to do.

Also don't forget that if any faults occur in first 6 months they must be repaired by the dealer under the Sale of Goods Act. If you can pull out without penalty it might be an idea to do so but I would certainly check with Lexus Poole before doing anything. There are a fair few of these cars for sale, including from Lexus dealers with 12 month warranty.

The other thing is to check with the previous owner (get details from V5) whether this has happened previously or indeed whether there were/are any other faults.

Might be an idea to check with Lexus Poole what they are expecting to do to the car and what your dealer has instructed. Also, before taking delivery of the car ask to see the vehicle safety report that Lexus Poole will issue when they do whatever work on it that they have been authorised to do.

Also don't forget that if any faults occur in first 6 months they must be repaired by the dealer under the Sale of Goods Act. If you can pull out without penalty it might be an idea to do so but I would certainly check with Lexus Poole before doing anything. There are a fair few of these cars for sale, including from Lexus dealers with 12 month warranty.

The other thing is to check with the previous owner (get details from V5) whether this has happened previously or indeed whether there were/are any other faults.

Thanks for this, Dave1. Tomorrow, I'll do exactly that - speak to Lexus Poole, and contact previous owner. I don't know whether these are legitimate concerns of mine about potential ECU problems, or whether I'm being a bit over cautious. Thanks again, Dave1.

You are right to be cautious.

I have a 06 plate 300 bought second hand and have just had the ECU and 2x sensors done under Lexu warranty. Lucky for me i bought via Lexus dealer otherwise i would have no warranty and a £3k bill.

Also worth checking if your car is affected by a recall letter.

Brake master cylinder. Possible leak meaning replacement seal required

Wiring loom to fuel pump. I assume new connection required.

PG

I've had my 55reg GS300 for almost 2 years and had two sensors replaced (same one - there are about four in total). The fault has now come back again but it's intermittent so I'm trying to get back to Lexus as and when it happens but sod's law I'm always in a rush somewhere whenever it appears. Lexus have told me "not to worry about it" and to pop in for a diagnostic when it occurs. I had a real battle with them last time getting them to pay for the replacement sensor so if it's the same one it looks like the same argument will take place. The woman at Lexus HQ Customer Services was the snottiest, most ill-informed person I've ever dealt with.

So the question is: if the same sensor has gone three times in two years does it not indicate a deeper problem? Lexus say they tested the ECU last time but surely I can't be sent on my way with yet another new sensor which will just go again?

You are right to be cautious.

I have a 06 plate 300 bought second hand and have just had the ECU and 2x sensors done under Lexu warranty. Lucky for me i bought via Lexus dealer otherwise i would have no warranty and a £3k bill.

Also worth checking if your car is affected by a recall letter.

Brake master cylinder. Possible leak meaning replacement seal required

Wiring loom to fuel pump. I assume new connection required.

PG

I've had my 55reg GS300 for almost 2 years and had two sensors replaced (same one - there are about four in total). The fault has now come back again but it's intermittent so I'm trying to get back to Lexus as and when it happens but sod's law I'm always in a rush somewhere whenever it appears. Lexus have told me "not to worry about it" and to pop in for a diagnostic when it occurs. I had a real battle with them last time getting them to pay for the replacement sensor so if it's the same one it looks like the same argument will take place. The woman at Lexus HQ Customer Services was the snottiest, most ill-informed person I've ever dealt with.

So the question is: if the same sensor has gone three times in two years does it not indicate a deeper problem? Lexus say they tested the ECU last time but surely I can't be sent on my way with yet another new sensor which will just go again?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links