Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remanufactured Caliper

Pete Shawn

Hi guys,

Any thought or advised on using a

Remanufactured brake caliper?

was at the parts store a while ago looking for the hand brake pads but they don't come with the pins n springs set... was looking on fleabay and alot of

remanufactured caliper fronts and rear.....

so was having second thought seek advised here before start buying stuff or paying silly money as i'm no mechanics :geek:

thanks

When mine was sticking i got a refurb. I got it from bumpy rides on eBay, and cash back for old one too. Ive heard good things but not had it that long but its been perfect so far. It also looked bran new out of the box.

was riding back home one night and had a strong bang on a pod hole :tsktsk: think the rear drum start to play a little (making noise) might be the clip snap and the front caliper is sticking kinda bad. might as well fix it all together

saw this item 300351440392 on eBay and the clip included but when i visit one of the parts store the fella say those clips are not included and they don't sell it.

just got me wondering to changed the whole caliper (cheapest around £100 each recondition parts) or had it refurb item 310589138855

I asked my mechanic (a good friend) the same question. and he said just get a new caliper. We greased up the pins and pistons just to see and was good for about a week. The whole thing was just a old rotting mess and calipers on my 2000 were the original ones so was in need of a new one and paid around £100. i dont think its worth the hassle of trying to fix up the old ones, unless its not that old? im just waiting for other side to go as i didnt wanna folk out 200! as for rears not sure i understand what your issue is fully tbh, so the drum has play? and makes what kind of noise? best thing to get it checked before making assumptions

I asked my mechanic (a good friend) the same question. and he said just get a new caliper. We greased up the pins and pistons just to see and was good for about a week. The whole thing was just a old rotting mess and calipers on my 2000 were the original ones so was in need of a new one and paid around £100. i dont think its worth the hassle of trying to fix up the old ones, unless its not that old? im just waiting for other side to go as i didnt wanna folk out 200! as for rears not sure i understand what your issue is fully tbh, so the drum has play? and makes what kind of noise? best thing to get it checked before making assumptions

thanks m8

thats wat i was thinking about the caliper refurb issue wont last for a diy job unless i'm a proper mechanics :hocus-pokus:

might be thinking getting one from the eBay selling £90 and cashback £30 minus another £10 for postal ... if not sort out the rear drum first and fix the caliper later (on my next paycheck) not forgetting next month gas bill :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

thanks m8

thats wat i was thinking about the caliper refurb issue wont last for a diy job unless i'm a proper mechanics :hocus-pokus:

might be thinking getting one from the eBay selling £90 and cashback £30 minus another £10 for postal ... if not sort out the rear drum first and fix the caliper later (on my next paycheck) not forgetting next month gas bill :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

meh forget the gas bill, lexi comes first :driving:

Depends which is giving you more trouble i guess and what might lead to more problems in the long run. It sounds like you might be able to bodge job the drum with a new spring and wot not, why not take a closer look... this vid will help get yourself familiarised with drums

My caliper was giving me alot of problems, violent vibrations thru the steering wheel even at low speeds, let alone 70. I barely got away with driving my 3 mile commute. Im wondering if it was mildly sticking for awhile because the car felt alot better after a new one. Just keep an eye on it because if it gets bad enough it will be almost undrivable and will also lead to a flat tyre even worse you'll warp your discs. mine are slightly! I did the 100ish quid one with £30 pounds cashback like the one you saw, although it cost me a tenner to send the hunk of junk back, but not bad considering the going rate for new calipers which would be no different in my opinion. It will also be alot less time to slap a new caliper on, took my mate 45 mins.

Brakes i buy genuine calipers for the is at a very good price from the dealer.

The caliper i did not mind the price it was the shoe fitting kit and caliper pin kit that really made me think "HOW MUCH"

that took a few days to get over as its a lot for a few pieces but as they say its got to be done

hi you could remove and strip the caliper as when the caliper seizes its normally the area between the seal and dust seal rusts and grips the cylinder but if your not sure of doing the job just get a refurb cylinder

Just had the OSF caliper, pads and front discs changed. Saw a caliper on eBay but was not too sure about it, so bought from carparts4less instead. Item is remanufactured by Pagid, cost £118, including surcharge of £24. Also, they have a £15 off voucher if you spend over £100, so once I get my surcharge refunded the cost will be £79, plus it cost me £5 to return the old caliper. So a total of £84.

Bit annoyed that the same caliper was changed by Lexus 60k miles ago but the other three are the originals. Next to do is rear discs, pads and shoes, all PAGID again.

I too saw the caliper from carparts4less but wasn't sure if it would fit. Hence I started looking at Bigg Red to get mine refurbished. They charge £193 for the both driver and offset pair. However it will have a polymer - oven cured finish. Major problem is I have to send mine in to get it refurbished, and I don't really want my car to be on jacks for 2 weeks on the street. Thanks ravi I think I will go down the carparts4less route too.

Hi, just out of curiosity, how long are brake calipers supposed to last, realise this could be affected by how the car is driven and the weather conditions etc. Just that apart from the OSF which has been replaced twice now, the other three are original and I've had the car from when it was six months old. It is now 12.5 years old and has 174k on it. Have I been lucky with the other calipers?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links