Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Is200 Won't Start

vinny_cent

Hello everyone new to the forum and new to lexus. So nice to meet you lol.

I bought a 2002 IS200 Sport on Saturday and drove it back 180miles and it ran fine (was into the minus temperatures at some point) stop a few times it started up no bother. Parked it up outside when i got home and tried starting it up the next day it just would not have it.

Basically it cranks over and 4-5 seconds into it, it will fire and sometimes almost border line start up (that noise from the starter even kicks in) but just won't have it then will go back to turning over. Have tried resetting ecu also.

If done a few times or using throttle it will give a smell of petrol. So seems to be getting fuel ok.

I plugged in a code reader and came up with 02 heat sensor faults. Would this be to do with the "wire yourself" lambda sensors that were fitted to the front cats under the bonnet?

I also have read maybe the coolant temp sensor could be to do with it as it is starting from cold.

I'm getting 2 lambda sensors, coolant temp sensor and maf from the scrapyard going to try all of them. If no success ill take the plugs out and see what make they are as i also read they have to be denso as the rest cause problems.

Any suggestions. Need it started really next couple of days and dont have fortunes to spend on it as it needs taxing and have work to travel to. Bit of a bad start to the Lexus brand haha :glare:

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I doubt faulty O2 sensors would prevent the engine starting,they generally cause running problems.

Also guessing with the CTS and MAF is not the best way to proceed.

You need to confirm whether the problem is fuel/spark or immobiliser related.

Fuel check is the easiest grab a can of Easystart and while someone cranks the engine spray some down the air intake, if the car fires or attempts to fire it would indicate a fuel problem.

If you got a spare key with the car try it as it may be immobilser related.

Welcome to the club Vinny. Check easiest first. are you sure there's petrol in it? Gauge could be faulty. my old blue is200 always stayed above 1/4 tank even when empty.

It say's its at quarter at the minute on the gauge, i put a gallon in on sunday to see if it was a fuel issue and is facing downhill might try putting another gallon in if that is the case.

As said before it is firing and almost starting then doesn't and goes back to turning over. The security light stays on for a second then goes out when key is put in. I'm just changing sensors to get rid of this fault code i have anyway, also a few people have suggested the coolant temp sensor as it is to do with the engine management and its fuel mixture when cold starting.

Don't really understand why it has decided to do it though as it was fine on the way up

Pulled the plugs out and they have NGK iridium plugs, look they have been put in recently but aren't very carbonized or coloured considering they have been running in the car. I googled the numbers they didn't come up with anything except they were for a v8 land cruiser. IFR6T-11 was the number on them.

Going to try some other ones and see how it goes. Oddly enough it was trying to start even more when one plug was out when i was testing the sparks on them ,which were white.

I had a similar problem with mine when I bought. running fine the first day and starting up without a hitch. Left it over night and it wouldn't start the next day turning over, but not catching, the dial saying Battery life was 9 volts, but it wasn't catching. The Battery was dead. I rang the garage who said that they had to jump start it as it had been sitting for nearly two months before it was sold. They had hoped that it would recharge after being driven around, but it didn't. They replaced the Battery a year ago and everything has been fine ever since.

Only thing i can think now is that it has possibly jumped a tooth on the way back up but would still run, until it came to knocking it off and trying to start it back up. Would explain why it's catching and almost starting up but just won't take over

P1346

P1346 P

These were two of the codes that came up before i erased them all, apparently its usually just to do with the faulty lambda sensors but might actually mean something here. Hasn't listed any fault codes but i can imagine it won't until its running again

http://my.is/forums/f115/p1346-p1349-p0300-need-help-troubleshooting-solved-418259/

This thread might help.......

That code is pointing to vvti oil control valve. The guy in the thread I linked replaced that and his fired straight up. Hope you sort it.

Haha i know mate, would explain the whole problem. Will get a timing belt kit on the thing, think it will be cured after that.

I seen it happened to someone else's but i think i have beaten them by a couple of cm's B)

Lucky i made the 180 mile drive home without it going to be honest.

Wish it was the first thing i checked as i have wasted a couple of days and brand new plugs etc on the thing! Nice intro into the Lexus world anyway

Will let you know how it goes thank you and the rest for helping out.

Fitted a timing belt kit on it starts great now.

It had jumped 2 teeth, the tensioner had collapsed and was wearing/burning the belt as well as trying to push it off the pulley because of the angle at which it collapsed at. Have been lucky.

Glad it turned out alright and hopefully ill be keeping it for a long time :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Did you find the remains of the rest of the belt in the timing belt covers?

How that belt held on I don't know but you were so lucky!

Yeah mate was everywhere, in the cut outs in the pulleys and all sorts, you'd have thought someone chucked a shredded up jumper in there. I never thought much of timing belts and their service intervals but after this im checking the belt on every car i get.

For once i have actually been lucky with cars in a stupid kind of way and thankfully it was an easy change with it being rwd. Wish i checked that before the expensive iridium spark plugs!

• 4 weeks later...

WTF wheres the belt it should like chris said be covering the whole pulley. Thats nuts never have i seen a belt look like that usually they give out with just small wear to the edges but thats insane. DONT keep trying to turn her over anymore get a new belt asap. Changing a timing bbelt on these are pretty stright forward and theres a how to guide on here.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links