Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boot Release, Fuel Cap Release And Steering Wheel Memory

ianc66

Hi guys.

I wonder if you can help.

On Friday the steering wheel memory stopped working. You can still adjust it using the left hand side electronic toggle on the column.

Today the boot won't open, neither the fuel filler cap.

The roof will still come down without any issues.

I've located the three sets of fuses, but can't see anything relating to boot release or fuel cap.

It's a 04 reg March 2004 model.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi guys.

I wonder if you can help.

On Friday the steering wheel memory stopped working. You can still adjust it using the left hand side electronic toggle on the column.

Today the boot won't open, neither the fuel filler cap.

The roof will still come down without any issues.

I've located the three sets of fuses, but can't see anything relating to boot release or fuel cap.

It's a 04 reg March 2004 model.

Thanks in anticipation.

Just thinking about this.. Has the car been locked with the valet key instead of the master key? Trying Locking and unlocking the car with different keys...

Hi.

Yeah I've tried that.

Also made sure the valet button in the glovebox is in the correct position.

All of the fuses are fine. Five different fuse boxes!!!!!!

The car is booked into Lexus Chester next week, so hopefully they'll be able to solve it.

My credit card is hoping it's an easy fix.

Will let you know what happens.

Ian

Sorry to hear about your woes I am fairly new to this car myself and cannot offer any suggestions. I hope you find the solution. However I must ask yourself and anyone else reading this did you buy your car based on reports of how wonderfully reliable the sc is supposed to be. So far I have had minor problems like a headlight on the blink, door mirror intermittent operation etc but some of the problems I am reading about on the forum I find a bit scary and these cars are not cheap to fix. What tipped the balance for me to buy an sc is that the RX I also own has been brilliant so far (ooh err dare I say that) and the visible quality of the sc , interior Paint etc is just superb. It wasn't my first choice dare I say that was a Jag XK but I really do love the refinement and solidity of the sc. So I hope you find its a simple fix and not a woeful problem as confidence in our cars is the prime importance that is why I ditched the Jag idea, I felt that the SC would be ultimately reliable. I hope like you my confidence will not be knocked.

Neilj

Ian

Just a thought you haven't had any Battery issues have you. I Had my Battery go flat because the car was standing for over two weeks whilst I got the front bumper resprayed. After recharging the Battery off the car I had to reset the seats so that the memory function would work again which includes steering wheel memory, a simple job see your handbook. The boot and fuel filler release however were fine thankfully.

There is a post on the American owners club website that lists the fuses and locations if that helps.

neilj

Hi neilj

Thanks for your response.

The Battery is fine. I've located all of the five fuse boxes around the car.

I dropped the car off at Lexus Chester this afternoon.

I know what you mean about the electrics.

I was after a mark one Audi TT convertible or a Porsche Boxster. After siting in the Lexus I was seduced by the interior.

I'm hoping that the visit to the garage isn't going to be a regular occurrence though.

I do tend to get bored with cars, so an advert could be appearing!

I'll let you know what the fix is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I thought I'd give you an update.

The guys from Lexus Chester have managed to finally found out the culprit.

It's an ecu buried deep in the dash that covers the boot release, fuel release cap, the steering wheel and also the lights that flash to signify the car is locked and unlocked.

The quote is coming out at £860.00 incl VAT for the part and all the labour.

They did say they've never come across this fault before.

Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next few days and then it's going up for sale.

Thanks

Ian

Sorry to hear that, ouch that is one expensive fix and I am not surprised you are going to get rid afterwards. As for their comment they have never come across that one before hmmm I'll bet they all say that like landrover say they don't have many problems with their cars did his nose grow. Well like you if I get many further problems my membership to this forum and ownership will be short lived too. You buy a Lexus with the expectation that they are pretty trouble free but this forum seems to indicate otherwise. Really sorry that your car has been a disappointment what do you think you will get next.

Neilj

Ian

Sorry to hear that, ouch that is one expensive fix and I am not surprised you are going to get rid afterwards. As for their comment they have never come across that one before hmmm I'll bet they all say that like landrover say they don't have many problems with their cars did his nose grow. Well like you if I get many further problems my membership to this forum and ownership will be short lived too. You buy a Lexus with the expectation that they are pretty trouble free but this forum seems to indicate otherwise. Really sorry that your car has been a disappointment what do you think you will get next.

Neilj

One thing anyone should know about a Lexus or any quality car is when it does go wrong its likely to cost.. mainly because there are so few around and of course dealers have bit of monopoly who keep other garages at arms length.

However I would take issue that these cars are unreliable. For a start a number of the issues are not with the cars but with add on's like trackers and residual wiring etc a problem that could hit any car but more expensive cars are likely to have these (or have had them.

also I don't think there is that many problems really as with age all cars get them and many on this board have cars over 10 years old.. In fact most seem to be Mk1s. I have had three problems in two years with mine.. Tyre pressure warnings, sorted by disconnection as I didn't want to travel to a dealer and have the transmitters replaced at a cost of £70 each plus fitting and another £85 for coding them. Battery drain (over 12 days without use) not really a problem if you are aware of it...I do give the Battery an extra top up before going on holiday and leaving it at the airport etc. On top of that I have 2 O2 sensors go at a cost of about £120 each to fit (not Lexus) but I have had two of them go on my Jag too and any car over 10 years old or so is likely to need one changed at some time. I don't think its that bad.. In fact compared to my jaguar x type which I have had nearly 10 years and is now 15 years old the Lexus is brilliant. The Jag has had a new reconditioned transfer box, 2 O2 sensors, a new propshaft three sets of brake discs (as well as the pads) and the sills have been welded !!! It still looks good though !! and my wife wants to keep it !! I know when I read the forums on the Jaguar I was horrified like you but it was even worse for my Mazda RX8 now that was bad so many issues on a car that realy shouldn't have been made at all. Nearly all down to design issues not build quality.

Hi guys,

A quick update.

I collected the car yesterday.

Fortunately the garage I bought it from managed to get a second hand part and paid £100 towards the bill.

It still cost £400 though instead of £800 +.

They did say it was the first time they'd ever seen this fault.

So I'm going to sell.

I think I'm going to look at a classic mini. If it does need repairs there are plenty of garages available to fix it.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I thought I'd give you an update.

The guys from Lexus Chester have managed to finally found out the culprit.

It's an ecu buried deep in the dash that covers the boot release, fuel release cap, the steering wheel and also the lights that flash to signify the car is locked and unlocked.

The quote is coming out at £860.00 incl VAT for the part and all the labour.

They did say they've never come across this fault before.

Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next few days and then it's going up for sale.

Thanks

That's right fix it and sell it someone wont have to pay out like you did. Very philanthropic.

Ianc66

I understand your thinking as problems like that make you nervous about future ownership. Alphacat mentioned that quality cars are costly to fix but to my mind quality means robust, reliable and longevity otherwise you may as well go and buy something cheaper. I hope I have bought what I think is a quality car at a bargain price given what they cost in the first place and after fixing quite a few minor problems I hope I can settle down with it now but if costly issues like you have had arise then I will be thinking the same way. I do like so many things about the SC the refinement is like no other car I have ever owned, the stereo is one of the best, the wood finishes, quality of the leather, pearlescent paint finish etc etc so I really hope it remains reliable from now on. So good luck with your sale and I hope you find your classic car but I think an old classic will be like chalk and cheese.

Neilj

Ianc66

I understand your thinking as problems like that make you nervous about future ownership. Alphacat mentioned that quality cars are costly to fix but to my mind quality means robust, reliable and longevity otherwise you may as well go and buy something cheaper. I hope I have bought what I think is a quality car at a bargain price given what they cost in the first place and after fixing quite a few minor problems I hope I can settle down with it now but if costly issues like you have had arise then I will be thinking the same way. I do like so many things about the SC the refinement is like no other car I have ever owned, the stereo is one of the best, the wood finishes, quality of the leather, pearlescent paint finish etc etc so I really hope it remains reliable from now on. So good luck with your sale and I hope you find your classic car but I think an old classic will be like chalk and cheese.

Neilj

I agree...If you buy a second hand car its still second hand and may be good and may be bad but usually the more you pay and the better the car the less problems you will have... will say one day I do believe the 430SC will be a real old classic car its has all the signs..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links