Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tow Bar For Is250 (Not For Caravan)

Wouldn't you be better putting them on the roof if you're carrying four? make the steering very light with that much sprung weight outside the wheelbase. but if you do go that route then don't forget you will need door mirror extensions as well.

Steve

My initial concern regarding roof racks was the fact it would be hard to get all four bikes up and down. I didn't really consider rear weight being an issue, saying that you are right in that it will be sprung outside the wheel base. Let me research some bike forums etc.

Thanks.

You can't get a (legal) towbar for the IS250. That's 'cos they (the EU) brought in some regulations in '98 which said that a towbar must be type approved for the particular vehicle. One of the factors in issuing type approval is the recommended towing weight specified by the manufacturer and for the IS250 it's zero (ie Lexus say you can't tow with the IS)

Therefore - no type approved bars. And that applies even if you're not going to tow with it.

Lots of cars cannot have type approved (or therefore any) towbars these days.

Ah...I'd remembered reading sect 2.5 of the Owner's manual - it syas 'Lexus does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. It is not designed for trailer towing'.

But that is only for vehicles for Singapore! (What can be different?)

Further down the page (P171 in my manual) it says to use the Lexus hitch/bracket. Maybe that's type approved? If they are available! And 'Other products of a suitable nature and comparable quality may also be used.'

And in the EU - if they are type approved.

I never seen a Lexus towing anything, looks weird for some reason, its not a car you associate with towing is it?

I always look away if I see a hitch also on a used car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links