Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I thought I'd show you what I was charged by a local indie in Manchester (Charlesworth Motors, near Glossop). I hope they don't mind, it isn't confidential :) They're a nice bunch, the owner is very friendly. No marble floors or glass walls, but then again those things aren't worth the premium you'd pay at a dealer. Also, they live in a very hilly part of the country which for me, as a regular cyclist, is good fun :)

post-37955-0-55769800-1435573813_thumb.j

The caliper was required as the old one had completely seized. I actually felt that something was wrong a week or two before, when the car pulled sharply to one side as I emergency braked. But I assumed it was just sticky after being sat in a car park for a week. Because of this, the service took a day longer than anticipated. But that's fine as I didn't need the car. Labour is, IIRC, five hours. An hour for the caliper, the rest for the cambelt and spark plugs (the latter are apparently quite a big job).

The only minor issue I had is that as the Battery was disconnected, the car lost all its settings (windows, sunroof, seat position etc), but those are easily fixed with a bit of Googling. All in all I think they're a good outfit and I'll definitely be going back for the bigger stuff (routine servicing I can do myself).

I have my RX in for service too at the moment.

I purchased all the parts and fluids I wanted done and supplied them for the work.

As my RX was new to me in Feb, I had no idea if the timing belt was done (although I had Indy stamps in the book!) so got a tensioner, water pump and timing belt from Mr Toyota for £120, I've also got him to change the plugs while he was at it, as I didn't fancy it myself!

£250 for labour - I'll post a review of workmanship/recommendation after I get car back and see quality of work.

Speaking to the mechanic earlier today, he said the belt looked really new and suspects it was done on schedule as per book stamps, however he said water pump did look worn (not broken) but said good call to have it replaced.

While he was getting greasy with all that, I gave him all the various fluids (ATF, Gear Oil, Coolant) and just asked him to do them as well (been planning to do them but have spent last 2 months of weekends working on the other cars and fed up of being covered in grime!!)

Ironically, the rear nearside air shock has decided it doesn't want to keep air pressure since last week so will be my next job!

I'll be damned if I am giving Lexus £700 for one air shock so am looking at two rear aftermarket struts or refurbing the existing rears.

I don't blame the car, design or air suspension at all tho - 108k miles and this is to be expected! Nothing lasts forever!

I knew this was likely to happen when I decided I wanted the SE-L....

Thanks for your post, it is good to have reference points!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the pollen filter price quite high.

But the labour looked really low!

I got mine back last Friday, £405 inc VAT for timing belt, tensioner, water pump, coolant change and dreaded spark plug change - I supplied all the bits, tho.

Not happy with the garage tho, as they didn't change all of the coolant in the engine block, nor attach plastic under-tray correctly (a bolt snapped, so they cable-tied it badly). Bolts on under trays go for a pastime (on my older MR2) so can sympathise, the lazy fix was not what I expected or worthy of my poor Lex!

On a plus point, the car had had a timing belt change at approx 100k mark but this was undocumented in the history! The belt they put on was incredibly cheap but looked new when removed for my pukka Lexus/Toyota belt I bought.

The previous owner was fleeced tho, as it was almost the same story with the spark plugs, the top 3 easy to get to ones had been changed, but the rear 3 buggers hadn't!

Tensioner was the original one and looked in good condition, as did the water pump - after 12yrs and 108k miles the pump looked "new" inside and had no play or visible wear.

Engine internals are good for another 100k/10years!

Hope this info is of use to someone!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links