Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Stalls Now On Idle After I Install New Battery

jtanoyo1

Hey guys,

I tried the search button but could not find what I was looking for. I drive a Toyota Aristo V300VE. It comes with some minor mods: piggyback ecu (fuel computer, Australian made), HKS SSBOV, Apex'i AVC-R, HKS super megaflow intake and TRD exhaust and Clifford Matrix 3 alarm.

Anyway, I was installing a turbo timer the other day and it was at night so I left the dome light on for quite a few hours and sure enough, the next day the Battery was drained and went dead. I had to go out of town the same day so I figured, screw it, I will fix that when I came back in 2 days.

So, I was back and tried to jump-start the car in the morning and the car starts up just fine. I thought i'd let it idle for a few minutes while the Battery recharges itself. However, after maybe about 3-5 minutes, the Battery dead error light turns on on my dash and the car chugs and dies. So I thought, oh this Battery is bust. I called up a service where a guy would come over and take your old Battery away and installed a new one for you. I had to go to work immediately so I had someone wait and watch over while the guy came over to do the Battery swap.

Anyway, I was at work and my friend called me and told me the Battery was swapped and the car was running fine for a while before it mysteriously stalled by itself. I rushed over home as quick as possible and sure enough, he was right.

The car would start, idled at 600 rpm for 5 seconds, then stalls immediately. Sometimes, it would start, then idled at 600, 500, 400, chug chug chug, 200, stalls. The worst time would be when I started it up and it died just as quickly (turns on, 600 rpm, dies). Also, if it managed to idle for that 5 seconds, I would press on the gas pedal hoping to get the rpm up but the car won't respond at all and dies almost immediately.

I eliminated the alarm ignition kill system because the Clifford tech came over and checked it out and bypassed the alarm system completely and the car still won't idle. It just keeps stalling. I also resetted the ECU several times (even leaving the Battery off overnight). I checked the EFI fuse and it was fine. Radio, a/c, lights, all work fine in the "on" position.

Car has 17,000km (13,000 miles or thereabout), recently switched to full-synthetic Mobil 1 15w-50 right before turbo timer install.

Any help would be very very appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Never mind guys, it was a faulty fuel level meter that happened at the same moment when my Battery died. I opened the whole fuel tank and my tank was completely bone dry of fuel!!!

The meter registered 1/4 tank left. Must be something to do with dying Battery and having the needle stuck at 1/4 when it was in fact empty!

Oh well, a full tank of gas later, problem solved!

• 1 month later...
Guest mark_tsang

i had this problem on my Altezza when i took out the Battery. it dont stall anymore, it was found out that it just needs a new crank case, it cracked pretty much same time as when i took the Battery out. the garage had to use a electronic diagnose computer to find out the fault & for the time being (while i wait for new part to arrive) the idle was slightly adjusted by computer, cant do it manually like lot of cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links