Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vibration And Noise, More Than Just Balance?

Put Hankooks on mine last year. Been fantastic highly recommended

Thanks for that, putting hankooks on would certainly be cheaper, my concern is that we dont do many miles so whatever I put on is likely to be there for some time so I want something which reduces road noise as much as possible. How do you find Hankooks for noise? they seem to have a good rating on Black Circle and at £110. per corner are not unreasonable price. On paper they actually look to be a better tyre as far as the ratings are concerned. I am more familiar with the Michelin as a brand, is it worth spending another £150 - £200 for the Michelins? if so what would be the benefits over the Hankooks.

The cracking they describe may not be on the sidewalls as it can also occur between the treads which can be missed if not specifically looked for.

Also have a look on Mytyres, at the moment the Pirelli Verde all season (which are extremely well rated) come out at about £107 each £430 all in for four.......pretty good.

I knew I would need 2 tyres for my m.o.t. for quite some time (due last week) & spent a lot of time going through the forum posts & also the different tyre specs ... one tyre stood out for me for wet grip, economy & value for money & that was the Nexen nfera Sui,

.... anyway I put my rx in for a service at Lexus last month & asked what tyres they fitted to cars on the forecourt & was told ... nexens ! (I did check a few just to be sure)

They pricematched 2 at £180 so had them fitted while it was there & I have to say they grip & perform far better than the factory bridgestone potenzas & are sooo much quieter.

I do remember the one thing I noticed when I first got my rx which was how disturbingly loud the road noise was compared to my shogun ... which I had previously fitted 3 sets of bridgestone duelers to & I was very happy with ... so as long as these dont fall apart too quickly I think i'll be sticking with nexen's.

I knew I would need 2 tyres for my m.o.t. for quite some time (due last week) & spent a lot of time going through the forum posts & also the different tyre specs ... one tyre stood out for me for wet grip, economy & value for money & that was the Nexen nfera Sui,

.... anyway I put my rx in for a service at Lexus last month & asked what tyres they fitted to cars on the forecourt & was told ... nexens ! (I did check a few just to be sure)

They pricematched 2 at £180 so had them fitted while it was there & I have to say they grip & perform far better than the factory bridgestone potenzas & are sooo much quieter.

I do remember the one thing I noticed when I first got my rx which was how disturbingly loud the road noise was compared to my shogun ... which I had previously fitted 3 sets of bridgestone duelers to & I was very happy with ... so as long as these dont fall apart too quickly I think i'll be sticking with nexen's.

Thats thrown the cat among the pigeons again, a quick look on tyre leader shows the Nexen N'fera RU1 as being B for wet grip 71db for noise and only E for economy, the Hankook Dynapro HP2 RA33 shows same grade B for wet grip however a C rating for economy and a 70db noise rating, however the Nexens ar showing as only £69.49 with free delivery which costs 4 out at under £280 plus fitting. I dont know what the going rate is for fitting and balance if you supply your own tyres, will want alignment checking and adjusting as well.

The Hankook are listed as Premium Tyres whereas the Nexen are listed in the third "Other Brands" category what's the difference? are you just paying for the name?

Thats thrown the cat among the pigeons again, a quick look on tyre leader shows the Nexen N'fera RU1 as being B for wet grip 71db for noise and only E for economy, the Hankook Dynapro HP2 RA33 shows same grade B for wet grip however a C rating for economy and a 70db noise rating, however the Nexens ar showing as only £69.49 with free delivery which costs 4 out at under £280 plus fitting. I dont know what the going rate is for fitting and balance if you supply your own tyres, will want alignment checking and adjusting as well.

The Hankook are listed as Premium Tyres whereas the Nexen are listed in the third "Other Brands" category what's the difference? are you just paying for the name?

Nexen SUI not RUI buddy .B for wet grip and B for economy.. ;-) ... unsure why they call them budget.? maybe because they have a better grip or economy rating ... lol ... or maybe they dont earn as much money off the sale ...> http://www.tyresonthedrive.com/search/choose/?collapsed=true

Nexen SUI not RUI buddy .B for wet grip and B for economy.. ;-) ... unsure why they call them budget.? maybe because they have a better grip or economy rating ... lol ... or maybe they dont earn as much money off the sale ...> http://www.tyresonthedrive.com/search/choose/?collapsed=true

Really is a bit of a no brainer then, at tyre leader I can order 4 of them for 277.96 have them delivered to a local garage where I can get them fitted for £15 a corner all for half the cost I thought it was going to be. :)

• Like 1

I just wasted 10 minutes reading some bollox revue of budget vs premium tyres on Tyre reviews.co.uk .. the "budget" tyre that Continental put up against isn't even for sale ? ... I cant find it anywhere ... mmm ... took this from Auto express ...

Overall results

Position Make Overall rating 1 Goodyear 100% 2 Vredestein 99.5% 3 Nexen 99.4% 4= Dunlop 99.3% 4= Nokian 99.3% 6 Continental 99.0% 7 Bridgestone 98.3% 8 Michelin 98.2%

i have noticed more tyre noise on my 350 than i had on my old model rx300,this is to be expected as they are bigger lower profile tyres.they are all matching bridgestone potenza,always had pirellis which i think do run quieter.

• Like 1

i have noticed more tyre noise on my 350 than i had on my old model rx300,this is to be expected as they are bigger lower profile tyres.they are all matching bridgestone potenza,always had pirellis which i think do run quieter.

My shogun had 265/70/15 bridgestone Duelers (factory) & it was extremely quiet so I found the tyre noise on the Rx 400 really disturbing... I thought it was because the shogun was higher off the ground but after changing tyres to the same size Nexen's I have now found its the potenza's rather than vehicle height or tyre size etc ...

• Like 1

HI all,

I have now ordered 4 Nexens which should arrive by the end of the week and having them fitted and balanced with front and rear wheel alignment. Hopefully that will sort out the vibration and drumming noise from the rear. :unsure:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The promised update on the Hankook Dynapro Tyres after 600 miles. Very impressed. Grip is excellent in both dry and wet conditions, (very wet on occasions,) including motorway speeds. The car feels much more "planted" than on the previous Bridgestones, albeit the front two were pretty well worn. They are certainly quieter than the Bridgestones and to my ear, not intrusive at all. Whether as quiet as the Michelins I cannot comment, never having driven the car on anything else. No signs of wear yet and no opportunity to test snow/ice performance ! To date I am very pleased and consider them to have been excellent value.

I was the OP with the rear wheel noise, turned out to be the nearside rear wheel bearing. I also replaced all the tyres with the Nexens, I cannot give much of a noise review on them as it is one of the things that particularly annoys me and I think my expectations and desires are a bit unreasonable when it comes to a quiet car. Around where I live most of our roads are covered in the "lets dump a load of chippings and get the car drivers to bed them in for us" type of surfaces which I find extremely noisy whatever car I am in. However on the odd occasion that I find a stretch of properly tarmac'd road the Nexens are very quiet. As a sedate driver I cannot comment on road handling and grip as I havent had occassion to need to put them to the test.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update!

So the tyre people that said the bearing was fine were a bit off then? ;)

Can sympathise with the loose chipping roads, I have a 4 mile stretch each way on my daily commute like this and one bit is on a severe gradient hill - what a joke, it's been down several months and when going uphill and meeting a crazy local coming down, they just cannot stop and spray you with stones... Grrrrrr!

Local roads around where I live, are like the surface of the moon - lumps bumps and the odd crater!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links