Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Cameras

I drive on a very busy M4 every day and with all three lanes packed with cars most motorcyclists cruise between lanes 2 and 3 down the dotted line. With cars changing lanes to overtake, exit at junctions etc I'm surprised there aren't more squashed motorcyclists. With a mass of headlights behind you how are you supposed to see a motorcyclist weaving around cars, perhaps on a bend and sometimes at a much higher speed than the cars? I know most car drivers don't help by not indicating, using their mirrors etc but knowing that fact makes the motorcyclists driving even more unbelievable.

Vigilance........awareness.......consideration to other road users !!!!!

Yea agree would be nice - there must be some considerate motorcyclists though.

99% of motorcyclists! :D

Filtering is a bit of a grey area, however you will often see police bikes also doing this and as long as the speed differential is less than 10 mph, then it is perfectly acceptable. However in the event of an accident then filtering will often be seen as a factor and 100% blame on the other party is unlikley.

Just out of interest what sort of speeds are you talking about?

Oh well perhaps i should have named this topic "bikers and car drivers argue"

I wasnt having a go at bikers i was having a go at the cameras but nevermind eh.

Ooops :blush:

But on the subject of discrimination -

Put on a set of leathers because most people over 50 will automatically think you're a yob.

Grit your teeth when you pass signs outside pubs saying "No bikers".

Sit patiently by the side of the road as police officers measure your number plate, listen to your exhaust and scrutinize your visor (for the third time this year).

Keep your cool as you encounter car drivers doing their utmost to stop you filtering thru traffic.

Steer round bricks left in the middle of your lane on blind corners.

Wave politely as drivers drive at you with lights on full beam because you have dipped headlights on.

And smile when the government decides that any bike over 500cc is a recreational "toy".

Take up biking, then the odd forward facing camera won't seem so bad :lol:

100% blame on the other party is unlikley.

The side of my car was clipped by a motorcycle courier who "filtered" between lanes and then tried to move around a car that was changing lanes in front of me. It went to court and the judge decided that it was unlikely that the motorcyclist would have been driving like this and I must have changed lanes into him. :angry:

The speed differential was probably 10 mph or less but it was still stupid, dangerous and resulted in an accident.

100% blame on the other party is unlikley.

The side of my car was clipped by a motorcycle courier who "filtered" between lanes and then tried to move around a car that was changing lanes in front of me. It went to court and the judge decided that it was unlikely that the motorcyclist would have been driving like this and I must have changed lanes into him. :angry:

The speed differential was probably 10 mph or less but it was still stupid, dangerous and resulted in an accident.

Couriers are a law unto themselves, however, the fact is that if the driver of the car had completed the level of observation you are taught to make, then he would have seen the bike and shouldn't have made the manouver. The fact he didn't look and pulled out as another vehicle overtook him shows he was not driving with due care and attention.

You may not agree with it, however it is legal to do this and if you go on a ROSPA ride out it will often be expected. It is even possible to fail a bike test for NOT making progress in such circumstances. The biggest problem is that car drivers are not aware that this is permissable and therefore their lack of knowledge only exasperates the problem.

It always amazes me the number of car drivers stuck in jams who try and stop bikes by pulling out. It's not like the bike is going to hold them up or make them any later is it.

On a slightly different note, if all cars had a 6" sharpe spike sticking out of the steering wheel do you think that peoples driving would improve? The bike mags often look at how our perseption of risk slows us down. I know that if I go out on the bike with no leathers but in jeans, I ride a lot slower than if I'm armoured up.

As they make cars more safer, people's driving seems to get worse - hence all the jokes about Volvo drivers - what's everyone views on this.

As they make cars more safer, people's driving seems to get worse - hence all the jokes about Volvo drivers - what's everyone views on this.

I don't think it has any thing to do with the fact cars are safer but society itself .I think that people have become more selfish and arrogant and this has filterd into the way we drive .Its that i am the only person that matters attitude .

... society itself .I think that people have become more selfish and arrogant and this has filterd into the way we drive .Its that i am the only person that matters attitude .

I think you've hit the nail on the head there!

I find the only thing to do is to drive defensively, and to not get wound up about other drivers bad roadcraft. Trust me, it works wonders for your blood pressure. You don't have to drive like an OAP in a Morris Minor, just put on some soothing music and repeat after me...

I will not get wound up,

Have a paddy or get stressed,

I'll let others have the aggro,

Cos I'm giving it a rest!!

:lol:

I will not get wound up,

Have a paddy or get stressed,

I'll let others have the aggro,

Cos I'm giving it a rest!!

:lol:

Been trying to do that for years but seem to get to the end of the road and it all go's out the window.New years resolution "I will not get wound up while driving" :lol:

I ride a bike. Not as often as would like but that is my choice. I believe in a previous post that stated, "go two wheels for a day" It definetly makes you so much more aware of what is going on around you.

Im not a mad Biker but on good days I love it more than four wheels. I always ride with my headlight on and Yes, I have a loud pipe. Not to sound big but with 18 years bike experience, I still believe in the theory that loud pipes saves lives.......

Ride on....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links