Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

European Road Trip - Need Headlamp Adaptors?

Connoisseur

Hi,

can't find an answer to this via search so:

2004 SC430. Do I need to fit headlamp adaptors for a 3000 mile trip to Murcia, Spain and back I'm doing in September, orare they not required?

We are going via the Millau Bridge, not to be missed apparently.

Thanks for guidance

M

If you have HID headlamps with a flat beam pattern then I'd say not.

I have HID's with a flat beam...was told I did not need them deflectors. Had a note in my glovebox for the duration of the hols.

Nobody said a word about the headlioghts in two weeks moving around. And I got stopped by the Gendarmes near Clermont Ferrand on a random check.

He wanted to see my licence and insurance. Also wanted registration document...explained we never carry them as the car could be nicked and transferred in the blink of an eye. He was OK with that. Did not ask about Deflectors, Spare bulbs, Breathalysers, Yellow jackets, Red Triangle or owt else. And I had the whole lot ready for him if wanted it too!!

Seemed more taken with my car than owt else. Not many Lexi in France.

I gave my letter to a CT200h driver at the ferry port on the way back then printed off for my travels pack.

Take a look here

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/90147-headlight-deflector-on-rx300/

Make a copy of the letter at note 3. Thats what I did and kept it in the glovebox. I also had an entirely meaningless set of old deflectors from a Nissan that i figured i may use as get out of jail card!!

BUT, .....if you have good old Halogens (with the flick up at the edge of the beam) then you will need deflectors

Millau Bridge....definite must see. Stop at the view point prior to the bridge on the way South for a good viewpoint. Look for it on Google maps and you'll see where the turning is. You can do street view on it too!!

Thanks Normski, very helpful. Definitely HID's on the SC430, will now check the beam pattern, and print out the letter!

Thanks also for the Millau Bridge tip; we will be approaching from Clermont Ferrand so will stop at that viewpoint :)

M

Just as an aside

I'd recommend you carry in the car at all times (lock them safely away or hide them somewhere)

Car Insurance Certificate

Driving Licence(s)

Passport(s)

You'll probably never be asked for them, but on the occasion you do, you'll be mightily relieved if you can produce them.

Incidentally, if you get nabbed by a speed trap you will have to show all three and have the cash with you for the fine. Otherwise, if what I was told is correct...they can escalate it up to points and a fine. At least that was what the owner (French) of our gite told us...his wife has been nabbed twice and he once in the last 12 months. They were not happy bunnies at all.

I guess its a similar case in Spain. You could always check with the AA or RAC.

Take a gander here if you want a tad more on the bridge

http://www.leviaducdemillau.com/#/accueil/

viaduc-de-millau-aveyron5.jpg

and here

http://www.tourisme-aveyron.com/en/discover/unmissables/millau-viaduct.php

Have a good trip

Thank you much appreciated. Lots of hiding places in the SC thankfully. Am considering doing a trip blog (nothing too boring but lots of pictures) so will try to post a few pics here.

we're starting off from Dunkerque (not Calais ;) ), then heading to Charleroi before going south, all to avoid the Paris ring road and get more countryside driving, then Reims, Dijon, Lyon, C-F, Millau then down to Montpelier over the border to Valencia before getting to Murcia.

I love driving in Europe but have not done anything like this length of trip. If I'm lucky will get 28 to 30 mpg from the V8 on the long runs so aiming to map fuel stops as carefully as rest stops he heh.

Speed cameras? Will use cruise to avoid getting caught if I can, but it is oh so easy to stretch the legs!

Thanks again

M

Speed cameras on the motorways are always obvious as they give plenty of visual warning.

You just need to get your eye adjusted to what they look like .....smallish oblong pillar at roadside and its facing you head on.

Its the hand held radar traps out on the ordinary roads that catch people as there is no warning at all.

Likewise, I always use cruise on the autoroute....its better for mpg anyway.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links