Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Roof Bars Or Towbar?

As a keen cyclist I need to be able to get myself and my bikes about so wondering how others do such things and what the pro's cons are......

Towbar

pros -

• Probably the safest/strongest.
  • Has other uses that I'll use such as trailer/caravan ect.
  • Wont affect the already low MPG figures.
  • Quieter.
  • The mucky bike wont drip all over the roof of my car :)

cons -

• Cost is higher and lost when selling the car.
  • Looks terrible, even the detachable ones can still be seen.
  • Might have to have the rear bumper cut to fit.

Roof bars

pros -

• Easy for loading the bikes on at the end of a ride.
  • Can be sold after car has gone or adjusted to fit new car(with different fittings)
  • In comparison to the tow bar approach, they are CHEAP as chips.

cons -

• Need to be removed when not in use :(
  • MPG figures will plummet.
  • Very noisy.
  • Mucky bike drippage.

So, what are others doing? If anybody has a detachable tow bar fitted a pic of how it looks would be great :)

Cheers

Mark

I have used both and I know which I would always choose! I am not very tall, so putting them on the roof of a car is problematic. Trying to reach over to secure the bike on the roof rack (proper bike holder) it fell and dented the roof! Fortunately the car was getting on a bit so I did not mind too much.

I would always go for a Tow Bar mounted rack.

Advantages: Less lifting - quicker to secure - some can carry 4 bikes.

Disadvantages - Tow bar is expensive to fit, but I also have a trailer. Bike carrier is also expensive depending on ehich one you get.

My brother is a keen cyclist and he uses one like this:- https://roofracks.co.uk/thule-rideon-9503/?gclid=CIepzKKCmsgCFdXGGwodnZgDig. This type will fit a swan neck tow bar / detachable tow bar.

I would recommend this one having seen it being used.

I have used a Pendle Bike carrier but they are more fiddly and you need a seperate trailer board.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/2384/pendle-discovery-4-rack-behind-the-ball-mount-type?variantId=9634&gclid=CJHX84CDmsgCFQ5sGwodlq0E6Q

Hope this helps.

Cheers pal. Yeah would have to be detachable, couldn't cope with it sticking out the back all the time but even when it's detached you can still see it can't you.

I've always had roof carriers with Thule 591, very secure. At 6ft lifting them up isn't a problem.

Still swaying toward the towbar but i just don't want to fork out for one lol

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on your budget.

I looked into this a little while ago for my IS, the full detachable towbar, electrics and and a reasonable 3 bike ball mounted carrier was north of £800.

My guess from having a chat with a witter fitting guy was that when the swan neck was detached you would see a small part of the fitting underneath the bumper.

He did confirm that their solution did not require any cutting in any shape or form.

The ball mounted carriers seem to be so much easier to load up, & reduce the worry factor of whistling roof bars and wobbly rear mounted carriers.

Saying that though.....I do like the saris bones rear mounted carriers though as they look a bit more stylish!..... Even if you had to use a board on the back.

I do know a couple of people that have been pulled for lack of lights showing by the old bill.

So as I said at the top...... Probably down to budget.

If you have got the dollar...... Ball mounted is easiest.

V66

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links