Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls460 Rear Bumper Removal

Removed my rear bumper today, another example of very accurate build quality by those Lexus men. A total of 14 fixings easily removed and some very clever long side clip devices made it an easy job. I'm having it repainted but what a nightmare trying to get the exhaust finishers un bolted. Each one is held in place by four 10mm bolts but after eight and a half years they are not only seized solid but so badly corroded the bolt heads have been eaten away by rust and will no longer take a spanner or socket. I have new exhaust finishers at only £72 plus vat but until I can get the old ones out I can't even get the bumper off to the paint shop.

The exhaust trims are not connected to the exhaust tail pipes and the trims merely bolt to the bumper cover, the bolts pass through holes in the bumper and screw into the exhaust trim. Heat is out of the question of course so its over to the Dremel to see if I can cut through the bolt heads without causing too much heat. I've had some challenges during my career in the motor trade but I've never seen such heavy corrosion to 10 mm bolt heads. If only they had used stainless steel It would have been a doddle.

The amount of dirt and grit that had to be removed in addition to what fell out from behind the bumper cover was greater than what was hiding behind the plastic sills when I took them off a couple of weeks back and this despite all the attention given to wheel arch liners which are supposed to keep the dirt out of unseen cavities.

Anyway crack on tomorrow.

hats off to you steve - you are a perfectionist - i too had the same dilemma about my bumpers but never got round to getting them done and now 3 years down the line some nice person has decided to key it on the passenger side so i have left things as they are.

chrome tips is another item on my list as mine dont polish up very well

Hi Cruisermark, Managed to get the old exhaust trims off but had to cut through the metal work in order to get the trim out of the way before I then tackled the actual bolt heads left behind. It was a real struggle but after about 2 hours got the remains of the bolt heads removed, some minor damage to the plastic bumper around some of the holes the bolts originally passed through when assembled in 2007.

Bumper off to paint shop tomorrow. The muppet who painted it on the car was an expert in creating classic orange peel effect similar to how cellulose was applied 35 years ago. He painted over the rubbers of the 4 parking sensors because of course they couldn't be masked even if he wanted to.

I'm hoping the front bumper will be a lot easier and much quicker to deal with.

Sorry to hear about the vandalism to your car. This is the country we live isn't it?, so much jealousy and hate towards others.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links