Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Shakes At High Speed

Hi all,

My car begins to shake at speeds of 85+ (I was at a track the other day) I can feel it in the seats and floor, steering wheel fine, no shakes from that.

Now, it was doing this before I got new rear tyres last week, so is it possible the new tyres aren't balanced right, or perhaps something else?

I might move rears to front to see if there's any difference.

Just hoping someone can give me info on why it starts at such a high speed? Up to 70 seems ok, could it be something other than the tyres/wheels?

First step would be a 4 wheel alignment and balance check and go from there. Not sure what year you have but be careful moving them around as they are uni corner on later models. The rears were slightly wider than the fronts and due to the wheel design they need to face a certain way. As such each wheel only fits one corner.

Thanks guys, it's a 2011, I'm going to move rear to front and see if the shaking changes, if the steering starts to shake I know it's probably a balance issue hopefully.

I realise the wheels Are specific to each corner but if I get a front puncture the book says to move rear to front and put spare on the rear as the spare doesn't fit over the front brakes, so just to test my theory it should be ok to move the rears to front temporarily, hopefully 😄

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Just a wee update... Got rears balanced at premier tyres Hamilton with their road force balancer, old weights were removed and new weights added (in a totally different position to the weights that were removed) so looks like original garage done a poor balance job??

All seems good now, so I'm happy :-)

All the best for the new year everyone!

John

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links