Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sweet Spot Rx300 Or Rx350

Hello members,

I am planning on adding a rx300 to our family as the wife needs reliable wheels. I can get hold of a nice rx300 80k with FSH sub £5k, however, I wonder should I really be considering a rx350? I have ruled out the rx400h as I don't think it's worth the extra and I don't like the aux Battery issue. Plus I plan to move up myself to a rx450h is another year or so. I can't quite pin it down if the rx350 is really worth going after. Our requirements are for safe reliable driving on mostly rural roads and occasional motorway. The odd pot hole to negotiate now and then plus we like the idea of a higher ride position. Can anybody who has experience of both comment. Is the 350 extra umph and the stiffer suspension really worth having. Logic would suggest that Lexus would have brought the RX 350 into the world to be better then the rx300, but did they really succeed in a big improvement or marginal upgrade? Any insights, guidance much appreciated as the wife says it's a mans job to figure out which car to buy :-)

Just get the 300. It has lower tax rate on it and mpg difference isn't much worse. Also you won't really need the extra power, the RX300 is plenty quick enough and has good gearing

• Like 1

I have a 300, my wife has a 350.

Both great cars.

I drive them both.

Yes, I can tell the difference, but there is little in it really.

Find a nice 300, buy with due diligence, and check for the usual things mentioned here many times.

:)

When working out the "extra" miles I'd have to do per annum before the cost of fuel savings added up to cancel out the higher tax of owning an RX350 vs an RX300, it wasn't worth it for me, but if the cost wouldn't have been an issue, the 350 would have been my car of choice.

Also, I feel the cost of tax would hinder reselling the vehicle, if I ever do - hence this discussion now!

That's Very useful advise guys, thank you.

I am now focusing on the rx300. I had been wondering about the AIr suspension and been avoiding the L models since it's something else that can potentially go wrong, on circa 80k 04/05 examples that I am looking at. I notice most SE models at this vintage don't have the Navigation/camera and the L does. Can anybody say if the air suspension really improves the ride or just safer just avoid it. I have seen some nice L examples out there, however, I have looking at the SE models thus far.

Brilliant resource here

Many thanks.

I have an '06 RX350SE, it is almost the perfect vehicle for me and I am completely happy with the non air ride.

When I was buying I could not see much difference in price between the two engine sizes and I am happy to have the extra power of the 350.

My wife has an 04 LS430 with air suspension; the costs of replacement are horrendous and there is no knowing when they might fail. In addition they can on occasion be the devil to diagnose [to isolate from other suspension components] when they have failed.

Confident I am not alone in advising avoid the air suspension.

I like my air suspension but haven't driven a non-air RX so have no comparison.

Just go into it with your eyes open, the air struts WILL eventually wear out and need replacing, 80-100k miles seems to be the limit on the original struts, from my experience, the rear strut metal will rust/rot away and up front, the air bags are likely to leak air before the struts corrode to nothing!

• Like 1

I like my air suspension very much.

But ...

I did buy the car from Lexus, with a Lexus warranty.

I needed that peace of mind.

:geek:

What does the air suspension bring to the party on the rx300? I mean do you really get a better ride experience. Would I

be able to tell the difference with air or not. I accept that a vehicle with 80k on the clock would be entering the danger zone with

Air suspension, however give the Lexus reliability factor and the fact the the rx300 is capable of 300k, would one not be safe buying

a rx300 L with FSH and expect the air suspension to do its job for at least 200k?

Can anybody tell me if Lexus dealers keep a service history data base, so you can check any Lexus history. I know I could do this in the past with BMW as they were always happy to give me any history on their system. I am wondering what support Lexus give folks coming into the fold. I understand they have a warranty system for used open market Lexus, however, it's limited to fairly new cars.

Thanks and Best to everybody

What does the air suspension bring to the party on the rx300? I mean do you really get a better ride experience. Would I

be able to tell the difference with air or not. I accept that a vehicle with 80k on the clock would be entering the danger zone with

Air suspension, however give the Lexus reliability factor and the fact the the rx300 is capable of 300k, would one not be safe buying

a rx300 L with FSH and expect the air suspension to do its job for at least 200k?

Can anybody tell me if Lexus dealers keep a service history data base, so you can check any Lexus history. I know I could do this in the past with BMW as they were always happy to give me any history on their system. I am wondering what support Lexus give folks coming into the fold. I understand they have a warranty system for used open market Lexus, however, it's limited to fairly new cars.

Yes they can pull the service history of a Lexus with FLSH from their database. You can expect it to last 200k but point blank it won't. Therefore best to avoid.

When I asked this question of Lexus Guildford was told there is no national Lexus UK database of servicing history.

If a car has been serviced by a dealer within a group that history may be available but the various Lexus groups do not share to a common database.

When I asked this question of Lexus Guildford was told there is no national Lexus UK database of servicing history.

If a car has been serviced by a dealer within a group that history may be available but the various Lexus groups do not share to a common database.

Hmm come to think of it the two dealerships I use are in the same group. However I'm sure they can just ring up and get it if they want to

My car isn't that new ...

Still came with a Lexus Warranty.

:geek:

My experience with Lexus dealers is that they couldn't give a stuff if your car is 7-8yrs or older unless maybe you bought the car originally from them or took it to them for regular servicing/repairs BUT in this regard they are like any other dealer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links