Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warning lights electrical problems

Have a look in the front passenger footwell on the left-hand side, under the carpet and behind the panel.

There's a bundle of wires and connectors in that area but also a drain pipe that can somehow become dislodged. If it has been dislodged then there's a distinct possibility of corroded/dirty/wet connections causing all sorts of weird problems.

21 hours ago, Herbie said:

Have a look in the front passenger footwell on the left-hand side, under the carpet and behind the panel.

There's a bundle of wires and connectors in that area but also a drain pipe that can somehow become dislodged. If it has been dislodged then there's a distinct possibility of corroded/dirty/wet connections causing all sorts of weird problems.

Afternoon Herbie,

Thanks and I'd discounted this previously as the carpets didn't feel wet, however on peeling the carpet back it was sodden!  Somehow hadn't permeated its way in to the cabin...

So I've dried that out and will hair drier around those relays and connectors and see what develops.

The obvious follow on leads me into checking the sunroof drains - does that seem sensible please?

TIA

JJTJ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jollyjacktarjack said:

The obvious follow on leads me into checking the sunroof drains - does that seem sensible please?

Yes it's the most obvious source of water getting in. Windscreen not completely sealed is another possibility but water normally ends up in a different place.

3 hours ago, Jollyjacktarjack said:

As Colin says above, yes.

In fact, I'm sure it's a sunroof drain pipe that goes down in that corner. There's an entire topic that someone started a while ago that covers this particular problem with lots of photos as well but the search facility of these forums is terrible and I can't find it now.

EDIT - just to say that although the search facility really is abysmal, this time I never would have found it because what I was looking for is on one of the American forums:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/648923-sunroof-moonroof-leak-2.html

Evening Colin and Herbie,

Many thanks for your useful tips above.  So I have exactly that, a sunroof drain problem, the carpet is up and drying as we speak.  I did remove a grommet (slightly inboard from the recognised drain) and a lot of water came out from both sides but its only really the passenger side that was wet.  My question is whether you managed to insert a piece of wire into the recognised drain to clear it please?  I couldn't seem to be able to locate that drain grommet from under the car, is behind the black trunking/skirt below the sill?

Now the wait continues and hopefully the Check Hybrid/VSC lights rectify themselves!

Thanks again

JJTJ

17 minutes ago, Jollyjacktarjack said:

My question is whether you managed to insert a piece of wire into the recognised drain to clear it please?

I've never had to do it so I don't really know. I think the guy in the American forum used strimmer cord but that's all I can say.

Good luck with it all anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Folks,

Finally cleared the fault and everything is back to normal, the issue was a leaking sun/moonroof blocked drain....

Herbie et al, kindly guided me towards the US Lexus forums and its all there in a fair amount of detail and not overly difficult to diagnose and fix either.  To stop the water collecting in that piece of box section/cavity I removed the front bolt holding the black sill cover on and worked the little plastic drain loose. (It reminded me of one of those kayak type drain plugs) As I said above the internal grommets inboard of that area yielded a fair amount of water also.

So I've dried out the passenger foot well and the two of the dash lights went off automatically, I cleared the 3rd with my Veepak OBD reader and she running like a dream again.

Thanks to all (on both sides of the pond) to remove my pond from the footwell!

Regards,

JJTJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jollyjacktarjack said:

Evening Folks,

Finally cleared the fault and everything is back to normal, the issue was a leaking sun/moonroof blocked drain....

Herbie et al, kindly guided me towards the US Lexus forums and its all there in a fair amount of detail and not overly difficult to diagnose and fix either.  To stop the water collecting in that piece of box section/cavity I removed the front bolt holding the black sill cover on and worked the little plastic drain loose. (It reminded me of one of those kayak type drain plugs) As I said above the internal grommets inboard of that area yielded a fair amount of water also.

So I've dried out the passenger foot well and the two of the dash lights went off automatically, I cleared the 3rd with my Veepak OBD reader and she running like a dream again.

Thanks to all (on both sides of the pond) to remove my pond from the footwell!

Regards,

JJTJ

Well done my friend, good to hear a nice successful conclusion.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links