Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Average MPG average for CT 200h

KCRL

Hi

I bought a CT 200h in January and I'm not even getting up to 40 mpg. I've got the car in Eco mode and it's all short journeys around town. The average speed is 13 miles an hour which is indicative of the types of journeys. 

Is is there something else I should be doing to increase the mpg? 

Thanks

Hi KCRL, from my experience during winter the mpgs are always lower than in other seasons, especially if you use the aircon and other accessories. I also do very short trips, and I have become aware that it seems impossible to get anywhere near the advertised figures. Right now it sits at ~39 mpg, with trips mostly around town and I barely do more than 6k miles a year. I doubt you can increase mpg unless you find routes that don't make you stop as often. The only trips I ever get close to 60 mpg are the ones to Heathrow.

Hi...   Only had my car a month but the computer read out shows 49 mpg overall. I'm doing about 900 miles a month with a round-trip 38 mile daily commute - almost all on A roads.  If true, then I'm happy with that as my last car (a diesel Qashqai) averaged 48 5 MPG over the year.  So my question is, how accurate is the inbuilt computer for this? 

Rob 

Hi Rob,

If your car is new, I'm of the opinion that your mpg should improve slightly after the break in period. You've also had the car only for a month, so I'll assume that your driving habits may improve with time, especially as driving a petrol-hybrid is different than driving a diesel. Eco mode does help a lot with mpg, as you have to step on the accelerator a bit harder in order to accelerate, which in turn may keep you  in EV mode most of the time. Sport mode is fun, but it's really bad on mpg, and it doesn't realistically let you get home any faster.

I've had mine just over 3 months. My journey to work takes about 15 minutes and I'm usually bumper to bumper on the way home, so my average mileage sits at around 14 Mph. I've read some of the tips on here, turn AC off, drive in Eco mode etc. but I was only getting around 37Mpg.

I was off work a couple of weeks ago and gave the car a few good runs. I learned a lot about how to get the most out of Eco mode and how to "pulse and glide". At the end of the week, the MPG had increased to 62, but the average speed was much higher.

When I got back into my usual routine, it dropped again and it now sits at around 42.

From what I gather from this forum and personal experience, the car achieves better MPG when driving at 40Mph or higher, rather than stop/start bumper to bumper journeys. Even so, I can't complain as I can go 4 weeks without having to fill the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Im sure I posted on this thread before but anyway - sounds about right. You're not going to get great MPG with very short trips regardless of the car.

The "breaking in" period is out of date, these cars dont need a break in period as the engine has been used for atleast 1-2k miles during the Lexus factory testing on each car and the odometer resetted before setting out on its journey to the customer.

The problem with short journeys is the engine doesnt warm up so keeps running until it has done

I can totally agree with all of the above.  When I first got my CT last April I managed somewhere between 52-58MPG.  For the whole of the winter I only managed 48.  In some cases I got 42.  However, I also noticed that once I got comfortable with the car my driving habits drifted back to the old days where I kept the power on all the time.  The 'Pulse and Glide' method really does push up the MPG.  Maybe someone could comment on the next bit but ... I found that being in ECO mode all the time sometimes gave me poorer MPG that if I stayed in normal mode.  I have a lot of hills in my journey and I started to switch back to normal mode when going up them so that I could get more instant power and spend less time going UP the hill ... just an observation

4 hours ago, Beau Nidle said:

Has anybody done a check of the accuracy of the car's MPG readout?

Rob

Just a thought... I'll need fuel in the next couple of days so I'll brim the tank, note the mileage and do so again next time and then work out a true MPG figure.  I'll report back in a couple of weeks with the true figure against the car's computer figure.

Rob

2 hours ago, TwitchyArmadillo said:

I can totally agree with all of the above.  When I first got my CT last April I managed somewhere between 52-58MPG.  For the whole of the winter I only managed 48.  In some cases I got 42.  However, I also noticed that once I got comfortable with the car my driving habits drifted back to the old days where I kept the power on all the time.  The 'Pulse and Glide' method really does push up the MPG.  Maybe someone could comment on the next bit but ... I found that being in ECO mode all the time sometimes gave me poorer MPG that if I stayed in normal mode.  I have a lot of hills in my journey and I started to switch back to normal mode when going up them so that I could get more instant power and spend less time going UP the hill ... just an observation

ECO mode tones down the throttle response. Essentially you spend more time accelerating to get up to speed which consequently reduces your MPG.

Hi Guys

There's been loads of info on this and I've tried to get the best mpg without getting too anal about it, so I've now continued to drive as I would drive a "normal" (not hybrid) motor and I don't believe the hybrid saves any more juice than any other car driven with consideration.

Check out fuelly.com and look at the ct200h results (some are American so take that into account)

2 hours ago, TheOldGit said:

Hi Guys

There's been loads of info on this and I've tried to get the best mpg without getting too anal about it, so I've now continued to drive as I would drive a "normal" (not hybrid) motor and I don't believe the hybrid saves any more juice than any other car driven with consideration.

Check out fully.com and look at the ct200h results (some are American so take that into account)

Except you fail to realise that the CT200h is a naturally aspirated 1.8l engine. The other non hybrid cars you mention are using 1.4l turbocharged with cylinder deactivation and all sorts. They arent as smooth as an NA.

The UK ones are showing circa 50mpg which is better than a NA 1.8l engine on its own without any hybrid tech would get.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links