Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm going to get my radiator replaced soon, - however it's just had a service with the coolant changed.  If any is lost and it needs to be topped up, is it okay to top up with any old coolant, or should the red be used?

Also - is this the correct coolant?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-pre-mixed-red-coolant-/162012113033?hash=item25b8aca889:g:3TAAAOSwwpdW7ag8

Many thanks

I wouldn't use anything other than the recommended Toyota red.  The one on eBay looks OK, certainly cheaper than the £25 I paid.  The container is different but I'm guessing it's because its older.  I would just make sure the cap hasn't been opened. 

BTW, where in Surrey are you?

Red is the old spec replaced by Pink  long life. 

Any good quality OAT long life will be fine. Folk get very cut up about these kinds of specs but a core reason of Lexus recommend stuff is directed by service length. Shorter life products are fine but don't match the service schedules.

Same with oil and semi and fully synthetic engine oil.

PJD,  as you probably already know,Toyota Red will need diluting 50/50 with de-ionised water before using in the vehicle. It will mix with Pink long life perfectly well, but reduce the time between coolant changes that's all.  In other words It will lose its 'long-lifeliness'.

Don't use Bluecol or such though, as it could produce a gel if mixed with Red/Pink and that will gum up your cooling system because it's a different formula.  Alright on its own at a pinch, but you would need a good flush first.

Red is still easily obtained at Toyota dealers at £25 for 5 litres, all I was saying is that's what originally was used in the LS so that's what I'd be using still, in fact when I replace my rad in the next few weeks I'll be draining the system and refilling with red straight from the container as it states "pre mixed" that way I've kept things as they were designed to be...hopefully.

• Like 1

With you there. Seeking to reassure that correct spec replacement or later replacement is ok. I think it's like non Lexus parts argument a lot is personal choice.

Rest assured when our cars are classics we'll be only fitting Toyota/Lexus parts.

i don't buy pre mixed as its a rip off. 

Toyota Red is concentrated, ---that word is actually printed on the 5L and 1L bottles you can buy on eBay.  'Pre mix' means just that; Concentrated,  i.e.  before being mixed with water.  Toyota Red is described as pre mix, not pre mixED. You have to add water.  That's why its £25 for 5L.  With Toyota Pink, it is already pre mixed so you don't add water. With that you pay for the convenience and also it's designed for longer life.

13 hours ago, Titch LS said:

Toyota Red is concentrated, ---that word is actually printed on the 5L and 1L bottles you can buy on ebay.  'Pre mix' means just that; Concentrated,  i.e.  before being mixed with water.  Toyota Red is described as pre mix, not pre mixED. You have to add water.  That's why its £25 for 5L.  With Toyota Pink, it is already pre mixed so you don't add water. With that you pay for the convenience and also it's designed for longer life.

Well here's my little fly for the ointment.  This is the coolant I bought from my local Toyota dealer.

018.jpg

Toyota Red is concentrated, ---that word is actually printed on the 5L and 1L bottles you can buy on eBay.  'Pre mix' means just that; Concentrated,  i.e.  before being mixed with water.  Toyota Red is described as pre mix, not pre mixED. You have to add water.  That's why its £25 for 5L.  With Toyota Pink, it is already pre mixed so you don't add water. With that you pay for the convenience and also it's designed for longer life.

Phil, that fly needs a good swatting. Seems like some bottles of Red have pre mix printed on them and some have pre mixed on them like in your photo. Some bottles of Red also have CONCENTRATED written on them. You can see them on eBay.  All I can say is this; Red has to be mixed with distilled water and Pink doesn't.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Titch LS said:

Toyota Red is concentrated, ---that word is actually printed on the 5L and 1L bottles you can buy on ebay.  'Pre mix' means just that; Concentrated,  i.e.  before being mixed with water.  Toyota Red is described as pre mix, not pre mixED. You have to add water.  That's why its £25 for 5L.  With Toyota Pink, it is already pre mixed so you don't add water. With that you pay for the convenience and also it's designed for longer life.

Phil, that fly needs a good swatting. Seems like some bottles of Red have pre mix printed on them and some have pre mixed on them like in your photo. Some bottles of Red also have CONCENTRATED written on them. You can see them on ebay.  All I can say is this; Red has to be mixed with distilled water and Pink doesn't.

No wonder we're all confused, Toyota told me it goes in as it is.  Is it possible they produce concentrated and non concentrated?  I'll stick with red wine, I know where I am with that, it goes in as it is, and slips down a treat! 

Actually I feel sorry for the Phil who originally asked the question, he must be wishing he hadn't bothered!!

48 minutes ago, bigjap said:

you get a lot more for your money with concentrate,and mix it yourself i don't know about distilled water,why would you need that

I suppose tap water (especially where we live) has all sorts of minerals that could damage aluminium.  The amount of limescale we get in Sussex is bad, you should see how our espresso machine blocks up with it!

As I understand it red is available as mixed or concentrate ,pink is newer super long life i.e. 10 year life .red life is 3 years so choice is yours if your going to keep car .red and change every 3 or pink and forget it

This confusion regarding coolant seems typical of Toyota; great brand but their use of multi-labelling and ever changing part numbers for identical items/parts does become a bit frustrating at times. I've needed a certain part and found a different part number for it depending on the VIN of the vehicle, yet the part was common to all LS400's. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links