Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I think headlight adjusters should be covered, and I would argue the case if it was refused.

What is good about the warranty is that it does clearly state what is not covered.  Most parts on the car aren't subject to wear and tear.  Wear and tear items are things like brakes, suspension components, exhausts, lights, fuses, etc..  It should be common sense really, but sadly that is not always the case.

That line you quoted, is it from Section 4.2?  In which case, it is talking about the fitting of the part, not the part itself.  So what they are saying is that you can't claim on the insurance for an item that might fail soon but is still working.

The bit regarding parts is section 4.1.  As you can see, that section doesn't mention anything about wear and tear.

1 hour ago, Saul.Lex said:

Guys,  I have this sorted now. 

Spoke to warranty company in the moring - they still refused saying its wear & tear, mileage and age of vehicle. Also refused to except the point that -  battery should last as long as the life of the vehicle .

I then spoke to the dealer who put the claim in again to say it was not wear and tear but electrical failure  and luckily they approved.

I am shocked how Lexus warranty could do this. I am now concerned if they will use this wear & tear excuse every time as my car is 10 years old and 113k in mileage? 

Is there any point me having the warranty? 

Last time they refused to cover headlight adjuster saying it was wear & tear and cost me £700 to replace.

I brought warranty from Lexus expecting better service rather than any other 3rd party warranty. 

Guys, thank you for your support during the past 24 hours, I am grateful for your kindness.

Well done Aaron.I`m pleased that it all turned out well in the end for you.

I think that your adjusters should have been covered too.

I am  not  encouraged to use Lexus Woodford..

Regards

John 

50 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I think headlight adjusters should be covered, and I would argue the case if it was refused.

What is good about the warranty is that it does clearly state what is not covered.  Most parts on the car aren't subject to wear and tear.  Wear and tear items are things like brakes, suspension components, exhausts, lights, fuses, etc..  It should be common sense really, but sadly that is not always the case.

That line you quoted, is it from Section 4.2?  In which case, it is talking about the fitting of the part, not the part itself.  So what they are saying is that you can't claim on the insurance for an item that might fail soon but is still working.

The bit regarding parts is section 4.1.  As you can see, that section doesn't mention anything about wear and tear.

Yes, 4.2. Thank you for the clarification. 

The headlight adjuster incident happened in November 2014. Do you think I can still raise that?   They sent an independent engineer who said it wear & tear and based on that they refused it.

I agree Shahpor that wear & tear items should mean everyday items, i.e  brakes, etc.  But I am shocked how they have treated me with the hybrid Battery (now resolved) and having to pay for the headlight adjuster.   The excuse they use its the age and mileage. Thinking in the future would I need to find out the lifespan of a certain part to get my claim covered.

26 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Well done Aaron.I`m pleased that it all turned out well in the end for you.

I think that your adjusters should have been covered too.

I am  not  encouraged to use Lexus Woodford..

Regards

John 

HI Jon, any bad experience with them with the warranty?  I am grateful to Lee who helped solve the problem today, by putting the claim in again.

This post generated a lot of interest.

I think because a) members thought you had been unfairly refused cover and b) because the general experience of members regarding the Lexus extended warranty has been very positive with claims usually going through without any of the hassle that might commonly have been expected on the schemes available to the general public. I had assumed that the warranty was through Lexus/Toyota GB or a subsiduary, so I am surprised that a 3rd party is providing cover.

I am glad that you have got a satisfactory result in the end.  Given the potential cost if you hadn't taken the warranty, I think you've had a major result - it will help the resale value considerably should you decide to sell the car in the future.

8 minutes ago, bobmc said:

This post generated a lot of interest.

I think because a) members thought you had been unfairly refused cover and b) because the general experience of members regarding the Lexus extended warranty has been very positive with claims usually going through without any of the hassle that might commonly have been expected on the schemes available to the general public. I had assumed that the warranty was through Lexus/Toyota GB or a subsiduary, so I am surprised that a 3rd party is providing cover.

I am glad that you have got a satisfactory result in the end.  Given the potential cost if you hadn't taken the warranty, I think you've had a major result - it will help the resale value considerably should you decide to sell the car in the future.

Bobmc, I am ever grateful for your kind words and the other people who have supported me. I was so worried yesterday. I wish I could buy you all a coffee - so if you're in Essex, please do get in touch! :)

I brought the warranty through Lexus dealership, I believe you can only buy it through a dealer and not direct.  I am just concerned that they will use the age of the vehicle against me on future claims as they have done so in the past with the headlight adjuster.  If the headlight adjuster is wear & tear, they could use that same excuse for any other part, don't you think?  I really do feel like challenging this as I think and so do other members that I should have been paid.  Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, bobmc said:

• Like 1

Personally, I would chalk the Headlight adjuster up to experience. I appreciate it may rankle but think it would be a battle to get your money back after more than a year.

I would also consider if you are going to return to the same Lexus dealer in future.

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Personally, I would chalk the Headlight adjuster up to experience. I appreciate it may rankle but think it would be a battle to get your money back after more than a year.

I would also consider if you are going to return to the same Lexus dealer in future.

Do you think the dealer had a part to play in this? Is it because you think they could have done more for me yesterday? 

£700 is a very expensive experience. :)  I was thinking of getting rid off the Lexus because of this warranty. Is there any industry guidelines as to what is wear & tear for certain parts?

Well, a good dealer should make life a little easier.

Personally, I would query the headlight adjusters with the warranty people and see what they say.  Nothing to lose after all.

I don't think you are going to find a definitive guide to what is considered wear and tear.  According to one of the technicians I spoke to, it can even depend on who deals with your claim as to whether it is accepted or not.

Sometimes you do get some strange results.  For example, I had a dual mass flywheel replaced under warranty.  I was told by the dealer that it should be covered, but still, with my car having travelled over 110k miles at that point, I could see it being classed as wear and tear.  After all, some manufacturers are claiming that it should be replaced along side a clutch change as regular maintenance.

On the other hand, I had a claim for engine mounts that was rejected.  Now, again, I can see how this can be class as wear and tear, but it was the dealer that told me that it should be covered, and in fact, in all the years the car has been out, they have never sold a set for replacement.  I was prepared to argue the case based on what I was told, but in the end, the dealer came to the rescue and did a deal for me to get them changed cheap.

5 hours ago, Saul.Lex said:

HI Jon, any bad experience with them with the warranty?  I am grateful to Lee who helped solve the problem today, by putting the claim in again.

no experience of lexus woodford as i am in cheshire,but i would try to avoid them if i am ever in your area

regards

john 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links