Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox, AI-SHIFT

3 months of ISF ownership, and still find myself experimenting with the gearbox modes. Until yesterday, I settled for manual shifting and Sport mode (mainly for throttle response).

So yesterday, I had the desire for good throttle response and smooth up-changes. With my limited understanding, I went for Auto (drive mode) and Sport. I was surprised that I didn't get an auto upshift. I'm guessing this happened as I'd manually made a down-shift using the paddles a few mins previously.  So, am I right in thinking that no matter what mode I am in, once I've made a change using the paddles I am in effect telling the car I want responsibility for making the up-shift? Is this what the following text (lifted from the manual) is saying?

The AI-SHIFT automatically operates when the shift lever is in the D position. However, operating the “-” paddle shift switch will restrict the function’s operation. (Shifting the shift lever to the M position cancels the function.)

Yes. Once you change gear manually by pressing the downshift (-) paddle then the box remains in manual mode. It will only switch back to auto if you come to a stop OR you hold on to the upshift (+) paddle. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GibletPH said:

Yes. Once you change gear manually by pressing the downshift (-) paddle then the box remains in manual mode. It will only switch back to auto if you come to a stop OR you hold on to the upshift (+) paddle. 

1 minute ago, GibletPH said:

I didn't know about 'holding the up shift paddle'.  I'll try that.

It might sound like I am being picky, but I've been caught out in the following scenario -

1. Car in Drive mode

2. I change gear using paddles - habit

3. A few minutes later, go for an overtake, and expect an automatic up-change, but it doesn't happen

Anyone else get caught out by this, or am I driving the ISF in a weird and unique way :)

I suspect I'm going to have to stick to driving it in manual mode.

Many thanks.

Dav

I have to admit, I spend so much time travelling around the country on motorways that auto is my normal mode. Manual gets occasional use only as auto + sport button is good enough usually. I'm not into trying to get that keen on public roads..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonP said:

I have to admit, I spend so much time travelling around the country on motorways that auto is my normal mode. Manual gets occasional use only as auto + sport button is good enough usually. I'm not into trying to get that keen on public roads..

Hi Jon.

I get what you are saying re getting spirited on public roads. In my case, the issue only arrives when I am overtaking, so I'm not necessarily lighting up the roads :)

• Like 1

Understood. Maybe I'm getting old but kick down in sport is good enough for me most of the time.

Maybe I need to drive it less to make it more of an occasion so I'm keener to push it a bit more.

Trouble is, I like the grin factor....... Even when driving like an old git

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links