Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Admiral - Little Box installation

37 minutes ago, Sathax said:

Hi Guys, I need your opinion asap as to whether installing the Little Box is an advantage or not?

Any one has got anything to share regarding this?

Not really, they end up ripping the whole dashboard out to wire it in. Also it gives a rating based on driving and what time you drive. My son's VW polo has had one fitted but thats because the other insurance companies were quoted £1k more and he's a young driver. He's got bronze every week as his placement requires him to be driving at 7am and coming back at peak times. Also, any motorway journey is automatically a bronze if its over 20 miles unless you religiously stick to 68mph.

The bell one is better - its just a plug and drive unit which you stick into the 12v socket and send back after 3 months.

No it is not good. It will stay in your car for whole length of policy and it is there to monitor how you drive, so it might actually negatively affect your premium in the end of the year ... obviously depends how you drive. Though even driving after 10PM is considered risky... so it is simply breach of privacy.

However, I would recommend Bell little box (part of same Admiral). The difference is that they only ask you to keep it for 3 month and it is simple plug-n-play device which nicely fits in armrest and you can plug it in the 12v outlet there + it gives 2 usb port for charging. After 3 month you will get instant refund based on how you drive and you can return the device. So you can be "a nice driver" for 3 months, get discount based on that and then drive as you wish after you return it.

I think Rayann - is confusing little box with old trackers which needed to be wired. I don't think little box is the case.

22 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

No it is not good. It will stay in your car for whole length of policy and it is there to monitor how you drive, so it might actually negatively affect your premium in the end of the year ... obviously depends how you drive. Though even driving after 10PM is considered risky... so it is simply breach of privacy.

However, I would recommend Bell little box (part of same Admiral). The difference is that they only ask you to keep it for 3 month and it is simple plug-n-play device which nicely fits in armrest and you can plug it in the 12v outlet there + it gives 2 usb port for charging. After 3 month you will get instant refund based on how you drive and you can return the device. So you can be "a nice driver" for 3 months, get discount based on that and then drive as you wish after you return it.

I think Rayann - is confusing little box with old trackers which needed to be wired. I don't think little box is the case.

Nah the admiral little box is definitely wired into the dash. The Bell one is just plug and play.

You might be right as I have not seen how it looks, I just assume that as Bell is part of Admiral, they would use same tracker, as well when last time I was quoted Admiral, they said it is plug-n-play and no installation needed. I just decided not to use them because they wanted me to drive with the tracker all the time.

I have had a box fitted into my car few years ago with an ex insurance company and it really didn't do anything in terms of checking how I drive etc. 

It would record how fast you drive on what roads, hard braking, time of day of driving etc.. 

i am quite a spirited driver and it wouldn't give me a negative recording as monthly the company would give 'bonus miles' for being a good and safe driver

box i think is used for accidents to determine how fast you was driving or braking if involved in a RTC. 

After 2 weeks of installation I kind of forgot it was even there!

Hi Guys,just wanted to update you that I have reverted back to a normal policy with paying back an amount of £70 due to the discount being removed.I increased my voluntary excess by another £50 to give a further reduction of £20. So, net amount paid back to Admiral is £50

12 hours ago, lex28 said:

it really didn't do anything in terms of checking how I drive etc. 

vs.

It would record how fast you drive on what roads, hard braking, time of day of driving etc.. 

Ok.... all that doesn't count as checking how you drive.

Eh?? Of course it does...whole point of it is to 'check' your driving habits.. i.e if you are doing 60 in a 30 zone...

also my point being 'it didn't do anything' meant I could drive 100mph in a 30 area and still get a healthy report at the end of each month stating I'm there is nothing wrong with my driving. 

The box is merely used in accidents to see truely the events of your driving at the point of an RTC and to determine your driving speed/hard braking.

13 hours ago, Sathax said:

Hi Guys,just wanted to update you that I have reverted back to a normal policy with paying back an amount of £70 due to the discount being removed.I increased my voluntary excess by another £50 to give a further reduction of £20. So, net amount paid back to Admiral is £50

I wouldn't have worried too much about the box as i actually had one so I'm not speculating. No one is sat at the other end of your insurance monitoring your driving on a daily basis and that's the part you need to forget about. 

Some insurance companies give out some healthy discounts with these boxes installed so really depends on much the difference is. 

Also my box was hard wired in behind the dash quite simply. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links