Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

RX400h: towing a trailer with a light-ish car on it

Hello there,

I have been searching on the forum for a while, but haven't seen anyone towing a trailer with a car on it with the RX400h.

I saw people on the site with caravans around 1800kg's on their hybrid without problems for years. My race car weighs 990kg on paper, in real life after lightening, etc. around 950kg. The trailer weighs around 550kg, so that is around 1500kg all in all.

The thing that worries me, is that 80kg nose weight limit. Saw a thread here where someone was told by Lexus, that exceeding this nose weight overloads the electric motor in the rear and may cause damage. (7% of the 1600kg's is 105kg and that should be a safe nose weight, but it would be a lot more, than the 80kg stated by Lexus).

I really like the Lexus, but also want to go to track days on my own, preferably towing with the Lexus.

What do you guys think? Am I overcomplicating it, or worry too much?

Thank you for all the help in advance!

With best regards from Hungary
István

Why not.

RX is rated for 2000kg trailer and at least 75kg nose weight. I've just installed polish tow bar kit with 13-pole socket and it's good for 100kg nose weight.

I don't see why rear motor or diff or suspension would have any trouble handling these nose weights if trailer is otherwise balanced properly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I talked today to a German gentleman, who has been towing for yeary with his (1300kg with the trailer) and everything was okay with the car.

So I'm not worried anymore.

mhelander: thank you for the input! I will try to load the trailer to have around 75kg noseweight, just to be on the safe side. That is still around 5% with a 1500kg trailer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links