Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New buyer: Lexus GS450h 3rd generation, pre-facelift vs post facelift

45 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Good news!  Nice to see a dealer doing the right thing for a change.

Which dealer offered you the discount on the warranty?

Kent. I contacted about 10 places and this was the only one that would budge!

16 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

That's a great service plan you have. What is the name of said service plan please?

I am planning to go with the dealer who offered £995 and see if I can get them to move on the service plan price too

Its the standard Lexus service reduced to match the essential service :) 

50k service £275.00 plan £179

60k service £675.00 inc spark plugs plan £369

70k service £275.00 plan £179

£1225 minus £727 plan

Saving £498.00

4 minutes ago, HenryHippo said:

Kent. I contacted about 10 places and this was the only one that would budge!

Lexus tunbridge wells offered to myself for £895, but that offer has now expired. It was about 50/50 when I enquired with different dealers regarding success :) 

10 minutes ago, hprice1099 said:

Its the standard Lexus service reduced to match the essential service :) 

50k service £275.00 plan £179

60k service £675.00 inc spark plugs plan £369

70k service £275.00 plan £179

£1225 minus £727 plan

Saving £498.00

My dealer has recommended I go for the 100k service (£599).

So I could the same dealer that offered a discounted warranty, to sell me the 100k service for a lower price than £599, and then still get the work done at my local?

Seems to good to be true!

1 hour ago, HenryHippo said:

My dealer has recommended I go for the 100k service (£599).

So I could the same dealer that offered a discounted warranty, to sell me the 100k service for a lower price than £599, and then still get the work done at my local?

Seems to good to be true!

Whats the milage on your car? I'm assuming he's recommending that for a reason, are they discounting it for you? Yes certainly, with a service plan you should be able to use any Lexus centre. 

9 minutes ago, hprice1099 said:

Whats the milage on your car? I'm assuming he's recommending that for a reason, are they discounting it for you? Yes certainly, with a service plan you should be able to use any Lexus centre. 

135k on mine

No, just to clarify the 100k mileage was recommended for me by my local dealer (£599). I will ask the Kent dealer how much he would sell the 100k service for and if he negotiates, then I will buy and get it done at my local.

10 minutes ago, HenryHippo said:

135k on mine

No, just to clarify the 100k mileage was recommended for me by my local dealer (£599). I will ask the Kent dealer how much he would sell the 100k service for and if he negotiates, then I will buy and get it done at my local.

I get ya, with that milage and age of car I personally wouldn't bother with the full Lexus service. You can get a major essential care service for around £300. 

3 hours ago, hprice1099 said:

I get ya, with that milage and age of car I personally wouldn't bother with the full Lexus service. You can get a major essential care service for around £300. 

It hasn't been serviced in 2 years (but only 5k miles though), so I feel I should get a big service done, and then moving forwards, the essential ones

Or do you think it's a waste of money?

Been 2 days now since the dealer made a verbal promise to get it sorted at a garage local to me

No further contact since and my calls with the receptionist haven’t been returned

Dropped them an email last night to say if they don’t contact me today then I will be returning the vehicle as I am quite within my rights to do so within the first 30 days

Much prefer they fix it, but if not I will take it back on Sat

17 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

It hasn't been serviced in 2 years (but only 5k miles though), so I feel I should get a big service done, and then moving forwards, the essential ones

Or do you think it's a waste of money?

Personally I would get the major essential service, at 5k miles I wouldn't of thought it would be necessary for a 100k service :) 

4 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

Been 2 days now since the dealer made a verbal promise to get it sorted at a garage local to me

No further contact since and my calls with the receptionist haven’t been returned

Dropped them an email last night to say if they don’t contact me today then I will be returning the vehicle as I am quite within my rights to do so within the first 30 days

Much prefer they fix it, but if not I will take it back on Sat

Thats not good, has this company got a Facebook/twitter etc accounts? If so you could use that and put up the pictures with a brief description of the faults, might boot them into action :)

35 minutes ago, hprice1099 said:

Thats not good, has this company got a Facebook/twitter etc accounts? If so you could use that and put up the pictures with a brief description of the faults, might boot them into action :)

They do. My threat to return it did manage to provoke a response today, going to drop it with them after work to fix

If this doesn't happen then yes I would continue along your course of action 

Took my Lexus to a garage in this dealer's network of "approved garages"

Unfortuntaly as I was driving there, the boot actually closed itself, meaning that when I arrived, there was no evidence of the problem.

I explained that the problem was intermittent rather than consistent, and was actually not evident at that point in time.

Was asked to collect it today, asked the guy (different to who i spoke to before) what they did and they said "nothing because it was working"

Frustrating. Explained the problem to this guy. He said it might be something wrong with the computer and he will need to order some parts from Lexus on Monday and will let me know when I can bring it back.

Annoying that it is an intermittent problem. If it doesn't get fixed within the 30 days since purchase then I will be forced to return it, rather than risk it becoming a consistent problem outside of 30 days that I have to repair at my own cost.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Well that is no good.

What parts is he getting from Lexus?

Not a great start to my Lexus ownership, dealing with clueless garages!

I don't think he is actually getting any parts (despite him saying he would), more along the lines of I surprised him with what I said, and he's going to have to have a think/ do some research about next steps

At least he was honest about not doing anything. I was expecting to come back and be told they did something but actually didn't

On 1/29/2017 at 5:12 PM, Shahpor said:

This is getting a little confusing.

Are we talking about the boot lock not working properly, or what looks like damage on the passenger side?

Sorry, I miss this. There's a little damage/ misalignment on the passenger side, but to me it sounds like the latch isn't going in properly.

Been back and forth on the phone with the dealer and their useless approved garage. Another week and I will be outside of the 30 day period, so I think it wise to return this (nice enough car that it is)

I believe my rights are that I can return a car within 30 days if faulty and I have given the dealer at least once chance to fix it (which I have)

On 03/02/2017 at 10:49 PM, HenryHippo said:

Sorry, I miss this. There's a little damage/ misalignment on the passenger side, but to me it sounds like the latch isn't going in properly.

Been back and forth on the phone with the dealer and their useless approved garage. Another week and I will be outside of the 30 day period, so I think it wise to return this (nice enough car that it is)

I believe my rights are that I can return a car within 30 days if faulty and I have given the dealer at least once chance to fix it (which I have)

I had the same issue with mine.  No parts may be needed, as if it's the latch not closing the boot properly and intermittent, then it's possible that it's an issue with the ECU controls for the boot.  There's a connection to a relay or switch which should be triggered when the boot is most of the way closed, to operate the electric servo in the boot lid which then draws the latch in and locks the boot.  On mine, the switch/relay wasn't having the signal sent to it so the boot wouldn't close.  They simply re-flashed the ECU or something and it cured the problem.  Took them all of 10 or 15 minutes when they realised what the fault was.  Could be worth them looking at this.  I wouldn't accept the need for parts to be changed unless they can show proof of the fault is related to a faulty part.  There seems a trend for many garages just to replace parts as a way of easy (for them) fault diagnosis at the customer's expense these days and I wouldn't have that on any of my vehicles. 

3 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

I had the same issue with mine.  No parts may be needed, as if it's the latch not closing the boot properly and intermittent, then it's possible that it's an issue with the ECU controls for the boot.  There's a connection to a relay or switch which should be triggered when the boot is most of the way closed, to operate the electric servo in the boot lid which then draws the latch in and locks the boot.  On mine, the switch/relay wasn't having the signal sent to it so the boot wouldn't close.  They simply re-flashed the ECU or something and it cured the problem.  Took them all of 10 or 15 minutes when they realised what the fault was.  Could be worth them looking at this.  I wouldn't accept the need for parts to be changed unless they can show proof of the fault is related to a faulty part.  There seems a trend for many garages just to replace parts as a way of easy (for them) fault diagnosis at the customer's expense these days and I wouldn't have that on any of my vehicles. 

Fair enough. Problem is that mine has the boot a bit out of line (see photos on prev page), so the car's history is a little uncertain

"Check System" and an explanation mark in orange came on whilst on the motorway too. Another reason to return it

Cheers. Its such a lovely car but so far its had a few teething issues so I can't justify keeping it

Looking at my rights am I correct in saying that one can return a second  hand car within the 30 days if it develops a fault and the dealer fails to fix it? Or you can return regardless?

7 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

Cheers. Its such a lovely car but so far its had a few teething issues so I can't justify keeping it

Looking at my rights am I correct in saying that one can return a second  hand car within the 30 days if it develops a fault and the dealer fails to fix it? Or you can return regardless?

First question how did you pay for the car? If you put more than £100 on your crdit card (deposit ect) you can claim under section 75 for a full refund. The below is if you bought the car within the last 30 days, ignor the date 14th feb.

You’re legally entitled to your money back or a repair if the car is faulty

‘Faulty’ means the car is not:

• ‘of satisfactory quality’ - it should do what you’d expect for its age, price and type
  • ‘fit for purpose’ - eg if you asked for a car that would pull a caravan, it has to be able to do that
  • ‘as described’ - it has to match the advert or the description the trader gave you

If the problem fits into at least one of these categories, take it back to the trader before 14 February 2017 to get a full refund. You have longer if you only want a repair - and if the trader takes too long (or it causes you too much inconvenience), you’ll still be entitled to a refund.

Think about whether the problem is likely to lead to bigger issues when you’re deciding whether you’d rather get a repair or a refund.

If the problem doesn’t need fixing (for example there’s a dent), you might want to ask the trader for a discount instead.

If the fault means you can’t drive the car, you should ask the trader to come and collect it at their own cost. You shouldn’t have to pay, so long as the car is actually faulty.

Your statutory rights are not affected irrespective of how you paid. You are fully protected under the Consumer Rights Act, but as you already note, must return the car within 30 days of purchase (which starts from the day offer and acceptance are made, ie leaving a deposit).  The Act states that you are entitled to a replacement or repair, or that you can reject the car;   The dealer can though make a deduction (which must be fair and reasonable) for the first 30 days use of the car.

You need to write to the dealer and state that you are rejecting the car, not that you wish to have it repaired, and he must, by law, refund you minus any deduction.  Failure to do so and he can be taken to court.   It is not necessary for you to prove the fault if wishing for a repair instead.  In that case, it is for the dealer to prove that the fault wasn't there at time of purchase.  Such proof would have to be incontrovertible. 

Unlike the Sale of Goods Act pertaining to commercial dealers, the above Consumer Rights Act also applies to cars sold privately.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links