Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member - NX300h Luxury

paulrnx

Hi everyone

New member just joined. Have recently bought an approved used NX300h Luxury. Lovely car, very happy with it and hope to keep it for 3 years although I have a habit of changing more often than this...!!

Not my first Lexus and not my first Lexus hybrid. I've had a 2nd gen IS250 SE-L, an IS300h Executive, an IS250 F-Sport and an IS200t Sport, all 3rd gen cars. Although the 3rd gen IS is a lovely car, I've longed for a bit more comfort for a while now. I looked at a GS450h but settled for an NX once I'd driven a few. Running mine as a company car and all great so far. For me the 3rd gen IS has one really bad fault, the steering is just too heavy, inert and lacking in feel and it's almost impossible to know when the front tyres are losing grip. Glad to say that an NX has much better steering feel. Still a great car the IS but I think the steering and the rather brittle ride go against it.

In between the Lexus cars have been 3 Jaguar XF saloons. The first a 5.0V8 and the 2nd and 3rd were V6 twin turbo diesel S models. I love Jaguars but they just don't carry the miles as well as a Lexus and the whole Lexus ownership experience I think is still second to none. Of course, none of the Lexus cars I've had have had anything like the effortless performance of all 3 Jaguars but I'm ok with this because every journey is no longer an exercise in self restraint.

Averaged 37 from my first tankfull, 39 on my second and now 40 so far on my 3rd. All premium fuels and my NX was noticeably better when I put the first lot of BP Ultimate. More willing and responsive and better economy.

I occasionally drive into the centre of Birmingham, a distance of 35 miles via 20 miles of dual track, 10 miles of free flowing urban roads and about 5 miles of queues and stop start. Have seen 43mpg regularly on these journeys which is quite outstanding for this type of journey in a heavy SUV. My previous IS200t would struggle to do 32mpg and the last XF about 36 on the same journeys. I also think I've insulated myself from the inevitable backlash and future penalties coming against diesel powered cars. Not to mention the heavy depreciation when no-one will want to buy a used diesel.

I'm not looking for amazing economy but I do enjoy driving a hybrid and seeing what I can get mileage wise. I use the squirt and coast method to maximise electric power use - I've always found that it takes more out of the batteries to get up to speed via electric power only and I find it better to quickly get up to speed and then to maintain momentum using the batteries and motor(s) where I can. I also always brake down to 50 on fast roads when needing to slow down and then let the batteries take over for as long as possible.

Mine is dark metallic blue with ivory leather interior, convenience pack, protection pack and standard nav. I don't hate the nav or the media unit because it's way better than what Jaguar turn out.

Love the car and for the first time in a long while I'm not thinking about what car I'll have next. Ok, if I had to state a preference now I really could see myself in a Tesla next time.

I'm running standard tyre pressures all round and I find the NX to be an amazingly quiet, comfortable and refined car. Off to Scotland in April so it will be interesting to see how it goes up there. I've driven enough hybrid miles to learn not to equate engine revs/noise to the car struggling up hills. It's just what they do and I find the performance to be more than adequate although I'm never going to say this is a fast car.

Looking forward to contributing to the forum too.

Welcome. About better energy recovery when braking , remember that low currents waste less energy in heat, and, this is most important, to recover all energy (and spare brake pads) you have to keep the charge indicator in charge area without coming to bottom extreme point, where traditional brakes start to work.

my approach has always been to get on to electric power as quickly as possible by safely braking and gently too down to the point where electric power kicks in. I never do it when I have someone being me mind

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links