Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headers problem

Hello there new to this forum and was just looking for some advise, just wondering if anyone has fitted headers to there car and had any codes come up, I keep getting check VSC. Plugged the code reader in and I get 2 codes p0171 bank 1 sensor 1 to lean (I have changed it twice now) and also p1170 manufacturers specific code but on research  it says injector wiring faulty but no wires are damaged, I have looked online at first code and gone through all the things it may be aka 

maf dirty 

split pvc

intake 

sensors 

and checked for leaks with no luck. Any help will be appreciated 

many thanks luke 

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

Sorry big rat it wasn't p0171 it was p1170 but that second code is right system to lean bank on sensor one tho it says? , and also jgtcracer they are ppe headers who are useless at info emailed them and didn't want to know, and it was my mates garage who fitted them he is spot on done all my cars and mates cars with no problems 

Luke

I think it's unlikely it's P1170 is that not fuel injector, I believe it is.

You fitting headers has nothing to do with unless you've disturbed something, which again is unlikely.

Logic dictates if it was running ok before it has to be in my opinion an unmetered air leak of some kind,when I did this work on a 996 Turbo I had exactly the same kind of probs (different codes obviously) and mine was a slightly distorted Airbox letting in unmetered air, upon refitting I would check all the clamps and so on for the box, maf and so on and see.

Big Rat

Edited by Big Rat
Spelling

I'm getting it into my other mates garage tomorrow so hopefully be able to shed some light on it, but it is either that being an air leak or it is a brittle wire that has snapped on the lambda sensor extensions but hopefully find out tomorrow, thanks for all the help and I will keep you updated 

• Like 1

Firstly, I must say, it's good to see another F getting the full exhaust treatment. Good on you Luke.

I would check the Lambda sensors/cables first as they frequently fail in the process.

If the headers are not ceramic coated or heat wrapped, the sensor cables may need extra protection. I recall reading about the issues for the SC430, it was quite common to have to change the sensor extension cable or even replace one of the sensors after installation. After mine were fitted, I had to replace one of the front sensors and in the end did 2, problem solved.

I found PPE quite helpful but they seem to prefer email, below were some of their responses to US owners.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPEHeaders View Post
It is possible that the O2 sensor extensions we get are not sealing as well as the factory connectors. They do have the red silicone wire seals. Putting a small amount of dielectric grease on the terminals can help make a better connection and keep them from corroding. If you need another wiring extension, let me know.
Quote:
The two causes for that code are a bad sensor or a short in the wiring. I can send you a new wiring extension to try out. Email me your address and I will send you one.

sales@ppeengineering.com
Quote:
Anyone else with a light on, please email me the code and I will help you figure out the issue. I am not able to be on the forum all the time, so email would be the fastest way to get your problem fixed.

sales@ppeengineering.com

Good luck, hope it's an easy fix and do let us know what 'really world' difference it makes. 
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thank you Neil E now it's sorted dyno day will soon follow haha. So let's get to it thought I would give an update after all this time of elimination of the possibilitys it could of been, when ppe supply the headers they have an o2 sensors extension cables and theses being plugged it was causing the fault as that and the sensor cable was probably to long to be getting a proper signal. So they were taken off and just sensor plugged in ( don't know why that wasn't done to start with ) but all back to normal and time to have a bit of fun. Also thanks for all the help was much appreciated 

• Like 1

quick question, did you install that electric module that came with the PPE Headers? I believe it tricks the ECU into not throwing codes? it should have been in the package with the PPE Headers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Defratos said:

quick question, did you install that electric module that came with the PPE Headers? I believe it tricks the ECU into not throwing codes? it should have been in the package with the PPE Headers.

That's a very good point but it's a new addition to the kit so it depends when it was ordered. 

@Defratos yes it has an o2 sensor conditioner that is installed in the car that is the second 2 sensors that are in the exhaust but mine was the first set of sensors throwing the code, the headers come with sensor extension cables as they come out the cat on the original header and get relocated at the bottom of the ppe header before exhaust. First photo is extention cables that I had problems with and second Is o2 sensor conditioner that plugs in and earths up under the centre console where the gear knob is carpet just pulls back and it's plug and play, o and this is there latest kit @Neil E just straight bolt in no mods needed got them ordered just before crimbo 

IMG_2443.PNG

IMG_2444.PNG

@Loolee1992 Glad you got it fixed, good luck with the numbers but I suspect you can feel the difference immediately. 

Looks like the O2 conditioner comes with an RR Racing label. I need to do some more research. I'm wondering from my own dyno experience if it calls for more air at the top end to lean the mixture slightly. 

Lovely thank @Neil E yes that is the same as ppe but that was just of google haha, yes throttle response is second to none and a lot more free reving, and not to mention the v8 noise. When it's on the dyno I'll try and get some vids up 😁

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links