Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX-300 LPG conversion - Battersea Autogas

I'm about to take ownership of an RX-300, a japanese import (Harrier) with the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine.  In theory it should be more economical than the V6 but if it proves too thirsty I'm considering going the LPG route.

Has anyone on here used Battersea Autogas?  They quoted significantly less than another quote I got and I can't find any negative words about them online but given the wide variance in quality of LPG installations I want to be careful to go with a reputable supplier.  Their quote was for the BRC system which they recommended over Prins because apparently it has a much better ECU.

I have found this link to them https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=102518 and the first 10 reviews are all posted on Mon 7 Oct 2013 apart from one which was dated 8th Oct 2013 all the other reviews are around the same date and on that alone I would be very careful about going there.

Thanks.  One thing I find odd about them is that the guy told me on the phone that they are "not VAT registered yet" but he didn't explain why and I didn't ask.  This means they work out much cheaper than the competition, but seems very unusual as if they'd been going for as long as they seem to be they must have reached the turnover threshold where VAT registration is mandatory.  The company (Battersea Autogas ltd) has been incorporated for several years but has been marked as doormant at companies house for most of that time, up until the present day.  All seems a bit strange to me but I guess there could be an innocent explanation like they've decided to be a sole trader rather than a ltd.  I can't think of any good reasons to do that though, especially when you've got a ltd set up.

3 hours ago, m4rkw said:

They come up on the list of UKLPG Approved autogas installers.. no idea if that means anything substantial.

UKLPG are not any sort of government-appointed watchdog over the LPG industry. Pay them enough money and you too could become a UKLPG member. There have been some horrendous stories on the forum of using UKLPG registered garages. The only way you can be as sure as possible is by word of mouth and not by reviews most of which have been put on the internet by themselves.

Bearing in mind what you have already found out about them not being VAT registered and Companies House shows them as a dormant company, give them a wide berth.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links