Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing Brake Pads

I will be taking my car to a mechanic I trust to fit new rear pads and fit the borla I've had in my garage 2 months next week.

I noticed on the lexus parts website in addition to pads there is also a fitting kit and an anti squeal shim kit. Anyone know if either would be needed?

1 hour ago, C.B said:

I will be taking my car to a mechanic I trust to fit new rear pads and fit the borla I've had in my garage 2 months next week.

I noticed on the lexus parts website in addition to pads there is also a fitting kit and an anti squeal shim kit. Anyone know if either would be needed?

Never had an anti squeal or fitting kit for mine.

I have run EBC Yellow stuff, brembo and now Ferodo DS2500 pads and no fitting kit or anti squeal kit has come with or been ordered with any of them.

The anti squeal, and rattle shims should already be fitted. You only need to replace them if they are missing or rusted through. A smear of copper slip is recommended on re assembly.

If you are doing the rears check the slide pins are free "they very common to seize", and are worth checking even if you are working the front pads. Use the correct soap based grease on the slide pins not copper slip.

John. 

• Thanks 2

I replaced my pads in the summer.  Its an easy DIY job if you have any mechanical know how or interest. You should be able to just clean the anti squeal shims and replace with a smidge of copper grease but I did have just one seized retaining pin. The last one. Typical. It took some persuading out which was a pain and needed replacing as I bent it.  That's where the "fitting kit" comes in and it has 2 pins and an anti squeal shim and is typically over priced from Lexus.  I have 1 new shiny pin and the squeal shim left if anyone wants it.