Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Back Door (Tailgate) not working on 2010 (Series 3) RX450h

On 2/22/2024 at 8:17 AM, karumesilane said:So my conclusion is that cold temperatures are the cause in my case. But now is the question - where is that weak point that gets affected by cold weather?

Interesting, Did you check your auxilliary battery's output? I wonder if a low output from this might affect the PBD motor activation when it drops below a certain level, because it seems  your ECU/motor unit is working OK, just doesnt like the cold/or get enough power to operate in the cold.. Whats tricky about Lexus hybrids is you dont get the tell tale lazy starting to indicate low battery (as the starting is off the traction battery -I believe). I think as my PBD - ECU started to fail it caused a battery drain which meant i was forever trickle charging it through  winter. Its a real game of spot the red herring.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have this problem with my 2012 RX450h. It has sat outside in very cold nordic temps this winter, and I only use it maybe once a week or less, due to working remotely nowadays. The back door used to work from button inside and the key fob until I noticed yesterday (after a loooong time not using the back door) that no matter what I do I can not get the back door to open. Manual button above the license plate does nothing, not one bit of sound. Lock button there works. I would like to get your information also @Herbie if that's not too much trouble. Really looking forward to not having to cough up something north of 1500 euros to the local Lexus shop. I used to take my old RX400h there, and it's somehow always cost an arm and a leg. I figured it's cheaper to get a newer Lexus and it doesn't look like I'm doing it right, lol.

*edit. While waiting for the secret information, I'll get the multimeter out to rule out the Battery voltage... I've seen some low batteries in a lot of cars, and from how well this thing operates, I'm assuming the Battery will be fine.

I have a similar issue with a 2011 RX450h. The tailgate has often stopped working in the past when it is raining heavily, but has always come back when dry. Recently however it has refused to open; wet or dry. I can open by lying down in the boot area and using the manual lever, but this is impractical when carrying anything in the boot. Any ideas? 

Herbie: any chance of the info DM?

It has started working again! Dry weather and it's fine. The only thing I did was to press the on/off switch on and off a lot of times.

Does Lexus have a fix for this issue? Seems like lot's of people have the same problem.

Thank you all for an interesting thread!! The RX is such a rock solid car... obviously apart from the PBD... I have the same problem as many of you seems to have. The PBD won't open, or close or react in any other way regardless of method. I can lock/unlock all four doors from the tailgate handle but not operate the gate itself. I have disassembled enough, including opened up the head liner from behind to see the lift motor and from that, it looks like a limited project to replace it, if necessary. Can the old motor assembly somehow be saved? By resolder the PCB? Or by replace some component that commonly fails? Capacitors, for instance can be weak apoints in some designs. Guess that electronics are more prune to fail than the mechanic parts and both the lift motor and latch motor are affected

And Herbie, if you still are in this thread, would you please send me your fix?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links