Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys a newbie to the forum recently purchased a lexus is220d love the car  recently been fully serviced using genuine lexus parts at my local trusted garage. i have one issue the car keeps steaming up inside to clear it, i have to keep the aircon on all the time... now the first point of call would be the pollen filter which was nasty when the garage change it, however im still having the same issue.

i have looked for any dampness in the car but none found can someone please direct me in the right direction please.

i have got the car booked into lexus leeds to have the airbag recall done which is outstanding.

thanks 

Well... generally in any car with AC fitted you should have you AC all the time, this is not specific to your car or Lexus. This is because AC needs to be ON to stay lubricated and working. Considering time of the year, I would not be surprised if you car is steaming up without AC - it is wet outside, you car interior gets humid, you turn on the heating in the car and warm humid air hits the cold windows - what will happen next is simple physics... it condenses.

Actually, I keep seeing people doing this all the time - turn on AC, wait until windows clears-up and then turning it off.. congrats - just dumped all the humidity which AC collected back into the car (you can even smell it) and windows will instantly steam-up again.

Thinking about it, I never had a car without AC, so I don't actually know how it is to drive one, but since my very first car I have AC all the time, never turn it off... further I almost never use "fresh air" from outside, unless I am driving on the mountain road in Scottish highlands.... even then it doesn't take long to catch-up with some coal rolling diesel and car instantly stinks like burning rats + outside air is usually humid, so no good in winter and does not help with windows steaming-up

So overall, you need to dry out the car and just keep using AC. I suggest next time after longer journey keep the car running for good 15 minutes with all windows closed and re-circulation+AC on Max heat, then for another 15 min on re-circulation+AC and Min heat.. cycle 2 times like that and you will get most of humidity out of the car.

If for any reason you don't want to use AC, then the only other option is to put ventilation to windows at high setting, heat above normal (say 24-26C), "fresh air" and open rear window a little bit - this will eventually pull out the humidity with the heat, but it will take forever.

In short you do not have any issue, just need to use AC more often. However, if you have AC on and car still steams-up you might have another issue - like leak or blocked AC drain.

• Like 1

Also bear in mind that this time of year ( in UK right now anyway) there are very few dry days and every time you get in car with wet shoes then all that moisture has got to actually go somewhere when you put heater on and dry them out!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links