Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Traction battery air flow

I was recently reading one of my old Car Mechanics mags April 17 they were detailing a service on a 2005 Prius Mk2. They removed the fan that blows ducted air across the Battery pack. The fan was very dirty and required cleaning as this restricts air flow and puts unwanted weight on the blades.

Is this a procedure necessary on RX hybrids, if so is it part of Lexus service tasks or the Hybrid service check? If not part of either service schedule should I be doing the equivalent job myself.

A further question but related, how important is it to keep the vents below the rear seats (RX400h) free from obstruction? I'm always removing someone's handbag or shopping bags!!

Thanks for your comments.

The health check tests the cooling system, runs the fans at full speed to check operation but the exact efficiency isn't tested.

It is important not to block the vents and each vent goes to an individual Battery pack, not a common air channel, so blocking one have an effect. The fan will run fast, and eventually the system will stop hybrid operations to protect the Battery.

I'm sure it won't hurt to clean the fans but most dirt would get held at the front of the Battery near the vent, or throughout the battery - ideally you would want to clean the whole system not just the fans.

If the efficiency of the cooling system is down, you will hear the fans spinning faster and for longer. If you aren't experiencing that then you may not benefit from cleaning.

1708373036_Screenshot2020-06-21at22_26_45.thumb.png.cc716913e89eca28c14efa8b78890ade.png

• Like 2

Thanks Colin, its under warranty at present so I'll let Lexus check it for correct function. I assume its all ok as I can't hear any fan noise from the rear Battery area.

Is it straight forward accessing and removing the upper cover?

many thanks

Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links