Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Remote and headphones.

Bisc

Hello, my first visit to site as my first time owning a Lexus. Just purchased, after many months of searching, a 2007 Lexus RX400h SE-L. So many choices out there and some you have to be wary of. In the end settled for one with full history, recent cambelt, tyres and brakes replaced in a tidy condition. My request here on the LOC is the car has a working underwear dvd player, however, I do not have either the remote nor headphones, not sure if universal replacement will suffice or whether they will be genuine Lexus replacements. Not even sure the make of dvd player only that screens are built into headrests. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ha ha, like to make a first impression, should have been underseat. Mileage of car is 119135, is transmission normally carried out on a service or is it easier to do yourself? Thank you.

On most cars the manufacturer likes to say it's "sealed for life", which is technically true, because when the fluid's all burned up it's done. It's just a question of whether you want the life of it to be 150k or 350k. At that mileage it should have been done at least once, ideally twice. If it hasn't then I would do it ASAP if you plan to keep the car as that fluid will be pretty dirty by now. 

If you're going to do it yourself make sure to look up and follow the correct procedure. I think you usually need to get the car hot before you drain the fluid, only use the correct fluid from Toyota, nothing else, and replace the filter if it has a replaceable one.

If you're pretty handy and follow the correct procedure you can probably do it yourself, I always take mine to Toyotec to get that done as I'm pretty useless with most car repairs and I want to make absolutely sure it's done right. I don't want to worry you but 120k is a lot of miles to have put on the transmission with the original fluid, it'll be well and truly burned up by now and there may already be some damage. You may want to check the fluid that comes out of it for metal shavings. Hopefully that won't be the case and if it's shifting ok then that's a good sign, just bear in mind that when manufacturers say the fluid is "sealed for life" they only really care about the car making about 100,000 miles, beyond that they don't care - the car's well outside the warranty period by then and if it fails and writes the car off they can sell you a new one.

If you service it properly and it eventually fails sometime after, it was the 120k without servicing that killed it, not the service. But hopefully that won't happen and you'll get a load of happy miles out of it. Actually that's another reason to have an experienced tech do the service, if they're good they'll test drive it before and after and make sure there are no issues like the shift points being wrong or delayed engagement etc.

I don't know if you have a lot of history with the car but if the paperwork doesn't seem complete it's possible it has been done at some point, you may want to pull the dipstick and see what the fluid looks like. If it looks pink or dark with a hint of cherry red then that's good fluid, chances are though it'll be dark brown/black and smell burned.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links