Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SC430 FOR SALE Chat

finchy40

I’ve been on the search for an SC430 and thought tou kind folks might have some knowledge.

Im going to have a look at this 2 owner 51k miles with Full LSH on Monday. 
Does anyone on here have any knowledge of this car?

Also, can anyone advise on things to look out for when buying…… What are the common weak areas on these cars?

Many thanks in advance. 

Just missed the cheap tax threshold on this one.

Even at 51k miles I would expect timing chain to have been done.

Bonus if things like shocks and exhaust have been replaced.

Looks like all tyres have been recently replaced. Hopefully with decent ones.

• Like 1

Yeah. Timing chain and water pump changed in 2017 on 43k miles. Tyres all with less than 2k miles. 
it’s not cheap at £13k but looks like a genuine, straight example.

Any thoughts on what I should be paying?

Most of the examples on Autotrader at that price seem to have been for sale a long time.

For 13k I would expect to see 17 main dealer service stamps in the book. I reckon take £400 off asking price for every missing year.

I assume you can look at actual service receipts to see what was done. Lexus service includes advisory on red flag, amber flag items.

Also money off if tyres are cheap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, finchy40 said:

Thanks my friend. Your thoughts are appreciated. 

For nearly 13K you get 12 months MOT and 6 months warranty, but check the small print on what is covered.

Now for 13k I want to know everything major has been sorted in the last 3 years ish. So, exhaust, suspension, brakes  tyres and alloys should be in very good condition. Timing belt and pump you already know about. Pay attention and do a full electrics check before taking it. That roof must work without a hitch.

Look out for any bubbles starting around the edges of the roof area. You need pics of underbody , or a look on the ramp. 17 years old so buyer beware on rust.

The bodywork needs to be exemplary at that price, but frankly silver is not really the markets choice for this car so I would definitely want it for less than 13k. Leatherwork also needs to pass muster at that price. If it isn't and you cannot update it yourself then you would be looking at circa £700 plus to get it back to AAA finish.

In essence you are at the top end with 13k fir this car so you are really looking to have a car that does not have you reaching for your cheque book anytime soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, finchy40 said:

Thanks Boomer. Some really good advice there and I’ll certainly be checking those points out. 

I can also tell you that specific car has been on the market throughout the Autumn and I think originally it was 1k over current price. However, most at thatvkevel and above have dropped price having failed to sell prior to Winter season. Think you can afford to be hard with them on price, because I don't think anything much as sold over 10k at least during the Autumn.

• Like 1

Finally, you do realise they have a 07 plate in blue with ecru leather for a couple hundred more. The small extra mileage is irrelevant given its a V8. The colour combination may not be to your preferred taste, but I think if you ask on this forum you will find it is considered to be the best colourway for the SC 430.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree the blue one would be my preferred choice but the silver has full Lexus whereas the Blue has 4 independents. Mot history on the silver indicates a car that appears to have been better cared for. I’ll check out both when I go there on Monday but the interior looks in better condition on the silver one too.

Is it a lot of work to run that same in depth report on the blue one Steve? At least then I’ll be going fully prepped. 

8 hours ago, finchy40 said:

I’ve been on the search for an SC430 and thought tou kind folks might have some knowledge.

Im going to have a look at this 2 owner 51k miles with Full LSH on Monday. 
Does anyone on here have any knowledge of this car?

Also, can anyone advise on things to look out for when buying…… What are the common weak areas on these cars?

Many thanks in advance. 

Vehicle does look a tidy example, observations ..a closer look at the service book it has 3 stamps  missing 2015,2018 and 2023.

headlamps and seats a little discoloured with age .

Some water staining in the boot area and mould on the roller cover …so possible leaks in boot.

The blue one they are also selling although a better colour combination but has more wear on the seats and also discolours headlamps.

Has black plastic wheel rim protectors , normally means rims scuffed already .

both cars have been for sale for many months so price should be negotiable.

Both cars need to be inspected for underbody corrosion, especially around the rear brake hubs, as the ABS  reluctors ring wear is becoming common.

Like I say just observations not trying to be negative.

What do you think of the champagne coloured example  on Auto Trader…looks outstanding 👍🏻

• Like 2

Hi Bob and thanks for your contribution. I hadn’t noticed the water staining and mould. I certainly don’t want any leaks.

The champagne one at Rykar does look stunning but I’d ruled it out as it’s in London and that’s a 400 mile round trip for me. It would be worth it if it was the right car but without seeing the reg, I can’t do enough pre inspection checks.

Groups like this, with active, supportive members is a big plus for me. I found the same thing when i owned my ISF. 
Thanks everyone. 

On the back of Bobs comment about the champagne coloured one being sold by Rykar, I asked about the reg. They’ve come straight back with it YX07PVE.

MoT history looks fine but has thrown up a new question in my mind. First mot with the car showing 9k miles……. Tyres worn close to limit. After 9k miles? Makes me wonder if it’s either been clocked who given a very rough first few years.

4 hours ago, finchy40 said:

Hi Bob and thanks for your contribution. I hadn’t noticed the water staining and mould. I certainly don’t want any leaks.

The champagne one at Rykar does look stunning but I’d ruled it out as it’s in London and that’s a 400 mile round trip for me. It would be worth it if it was the right car but without seeing the reg, I can’t do enough pre inspection checks.

Groups like this, with active, supportive members is a big plus for me. I found the same thing when i owned my ISF. 
Thanks everyone. 

The water leaks may , or may not be current .They are selling warrantied so should not be. Likely to be simple fix drain holes etc. Bob had  a leak he sorted from is rear bootlid light. Shouldn't be a deal breaker, but you can always draw their attention to it in writing and ask them to confirm in writing that any issue will be resolved prior to purchase.

As for missing years I wouldn't mind betting it was sorned with that mileage.

For full disclosure I have been monitoring the one in London. We usually go down for a trip earlyish in the year and I had thought I might pop in for a look/drive whilst there. Might not happen though as I am also looking at somethingelse currently.

An extra point on the London car for any of us here in the North is any after sales warrantied work becomes a pain if it is on a return to dealer basis.

Just looking at the MOT history on the London car. Might sound a little silly, but that car has done so little annual mileage. Now I know it's done little, but by the same token I suspect it's also had little done to it for the same reason. Problem is there is lots of stuff on cars that wears out regardless of mileage just due to age. I could say I prefer something when it's that age that has some billed works on major stuff ,because then I know this is stuff I won't be paying for. For me this is important for cars like this ,because frankly it's already priced for 'perfection'. Anything you spend on it at this price level is not coming back except through years of use and enjoyment. If you don't keep it that long then you will be eating your expenditure on it.

The worn tyres at 9k is not as bad as it looks. If this is a London car all its life its done a lot of short journeys with a lot of braking wearing those tyres out.

Interesting views regarding the champagne one and very valid.  Your honest and balanced views are appreciated. 
I certainly don’t want to step on anyones toes if it’s something you may want to buy yourself. If I end up viewing it, I promise to let you know and will back off if you’re seriously interested. That’s only fair. 

As I’m sat here today, I’m more likely to try to use the champagne one as leverage on one of the two local ones anyway…….. especially if that boot leak isn’t thought to be a major problem.

48 minutes ago, finchy40 said:

Interesting views regarding the champagne one and very valid.  Your honest and balanced views are appreciated. 
I certainly don’t want to step on anyones toes if it’s something you may want to buy yourself. If I end up viewing it, I promise to let you know and will back off if you’re seriously interested. That’s only fair. 

As I’m sat here today, I’m more likely to try to use the champagne one as leverage on one of the two local ones anyway…….. especially if that boot leak isn’t thought to be a major problem.

If you are interested in the Champagne then go for it. It's first come first served. Likelihood is I will get my alternative anyway (can't talk about it 'cos it isn't a Lexus 😀 )

You are right the Silver looks the better preserved. I like the indicator of the lack of wear on the drivers seat and bolster. Bodes well for the rest as does the under bonnet condition which looks appreciated.

One thing of note though I don't like about the dealer. The slideshow states 15 months warranty with "this car". Their written description states 6 months basic AU warranty. They really need to be careful with that sloppy approach. By the way that description is clear it's warranty at stated price so if you demand a discount they will probably take the approach of at least trying to remove the warranty. Think about what your response will be.

Anyway good look with your viewing. This car is just a terrific experience to drive and the quality is outstanding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, finchy40 said:

On the back of Bobs comment about the champagne coloured one being sold by Rykar, I asked about the reg. They’ve come straight back with it YX07PVE.

MoT history looks fine but has thrown up a new question in my mind. First mot with the car showing 9k miles……. Tyres worn close to limit. After 9k miles? Makes me wonder if it’s either been clocked who given a very rough first few years.

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/Certificate?id=YX07PVE-iEeWP3is

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

You’re a good lad 😉

only had 3 owners that’s a plus.

As to outstanding finance I’m guessing the dealer doesn’t own his stock and is financed until sold. Phone number is there so give them a call to check what’s going on .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, finchy40 said:

The tyres were advised at 9k but didn’t fail until the next mot at 13233 miles .

These cars are common to wear tyres on the inner edges on the front, I suspect at some point during a service the worn front tyres got swapped to the rear ..then good rears to front .

i doubt it’s a London car just being sold by a London dealer …probably bought from auction from another part of the Uk.

exhaust tailpipes are not original , so maybe just tailpipe or exhaust change .

front bumper colour looks off but needs to be seen in daylight to be sure.

Last taxed expired Aug 2023 so they’ve had it a long time for sale ….im sure there is a deal to be had …..and the colour name is KALAHARI SAND  👍🏻

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links