Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h - error code P0AA6

Hi, I'm a new member. I've had my (2007) RX400h for a few years - easily the best car I've ever had. Now I'm facing a problem with the hybrid system (error code P0AA6). I've done some research and it looks like that error code is highly likely to be telling me I might need to replace the hybrid Battery. I'm told the hybrid Battery life is between 10 and 15 years, and the car is 13 years old now. The Lexus dealer will charge £3000 for a new hybrid Battery and £1000 labour, so I'm trying to come to terms with maybe having to write off the car - which would be such a shame - but does it make sense to spend £4k repairing an older car, which is only worth around £4k. I did wonder if the hybrid system could be permanently disabled so I could run the car for the rest of its life on the petrol engine but the Lexus dealership says no, technically not possible because all the electrics work off the hybrid Battery, not the 12v Battery - which is just used to start the car.  I'm looking for ways to get the car back on the road at a lower cost. I'm trying to research whether hybrid batteries can be repaired or if you can get second-hand or reconditioned batteries - finding it difficult to get much information on that. Financially this couldn't have come at a worse time and we're a one car family, so I'm hoping someone might suggest some options I've not thought of, or point me towards where I can get some more information. Thanks.

• Sad 1

Hi Steve, 

in my haste I forgot to say welcome!

Do let us all know what Richard advises. I personally will be surprised if the HB is defunct as there are many,many instances of them lasting for considerable periods of time and for Moon Mileages.

You have a great car and it is worth much deliberation before you decide to get rid. The important question is not how much it is worth. it is how much is it worth to you? If all else is fine with the vehicle and you are as pleased with it as you sound, then it makes sense to spend a few bob on it rather than buy something that you are not so familiar with.You might spend 10 Grand on something which itself requires money to be spent.Better then to spend say £4k on what you have ?

• Like 2

Thank you John for that advice, much appreciated. I like the way you've posed the question how much is it worth to me? That made me think. I'd have to say I couldn't be more pleased with the time I've had this car. It's been great - sailed through MoTs, reliable, moved many large items when needed, plenty of room in the back for the doberman, handles rough tracks in our rural area no problem and is a pleasure to drive - so definitely want to find a way to keep it on the road and if I can get this issue sorted I hope to keep if for years to come. I'll definitely phone the contact you suggested and see what they suggest.

• Like 1

John - you asked me to let you know what happened when I'd got in touch with Richard at Hybrid Battery Solutions. After doing some more research, I discovered that there only seems to be a small number of firms around the UK that will attempt repair a hybrid system. None close, but HBS in Northampton is the closest to me (I live in Suffolk). Richard said that based on the error code and what that typically indicates, he was fairly confident that he could offer a repair solution at around 20% of what it would cost to put in a new hybrid Battery and he offers a one year / 10,000 warranty on the work. So I've had the car recovered from Ipswich and taken to Northampton and I'm waiting to hear what problem has been diagnosed and whether it can be fixed. Fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

Very many thanks for your update.

Richard is a bit like the Sun and the Moon--always there,but rarely noticed.

I`m really pleased that a competent diagnosis will be given to you and hopefully the prognosis and associated cost will be such as to confirm what I expect/hope to be your decision to stay with the Lexus.

We all look forward to further updates and to your (soon to be ) well informed experiences of Hybrid Battery Resolutions..

Stay safe and keep well. 

• Like 1

I'm very pleased to say that my problem with the hybrid Battery has been resolved by Richard at Hybrid Battery Solutions in Northampton. The diagnosis was as follows, "water ingress into the HV Battery compartment .... There are drain points under & near the compartment that over time get blocked". "The damaged control board needed repairing and the drainage holes unblocking". I was very happy to have achieved a solution for around 20% of the cost of a new hybrid Battery. I thought other Lexus owners might be interested to be aware of this potential for the HV Battery drainage holes to become blocked over time and cause water damage. I'm not sure if it would be safe to access the HV Battery to check those drainage holes from time to time. I'm going to ask about that tomorrow. Picture attached of the damage the water did.

20201027_113616.jpg

Great news that it's fixed Steve, brilliant job.

It's not clear from the photo just where these connections are and I think we'd need a wider field of vision for proper context, but in general I'd say no, don't go ferreting around there unless you've got the right equipment and knowledge. I've got a pair of rubber gauntlets rated to 1000V but not many folks will have them as part of their toolkit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links