Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D READ BEFORE BUYING - REVIEW OF A 2006 LEXUS IS220D SPORT

On 4/4/2023 at 8:15 PM, veryfedupbunny. said:

Hi all, im new to the forum, ive recently had a long winded electrical fault on my 220D Sport. it took ywo auto electricans (well one good and one time waster) to sort it. at one stage on an 58 plate car to see all the front end internals removed - dashe, tunnel audio head, steering wheel put, and the car not having run for 5 months (by that stage)  i seriously considered scrapping it. however, auto sparky Mkii came through. it was a wiring conection had gone bad and caused a fault in the key sensor. so replaced immobilser system which includes the steering colum and bits hidden in weird (to me) places for security reasons. problem was at that stage all that was known was that it was an immobilser fault. new immobilser unit was then fried due to same fault - cue weeks spent by sparky looking for a bad wire. he found it, sensor repaired, Lexus back on road rebuilt. no rattles from reassembled dash etc. so on that basis im well chufed.

car is, as i said a 58 plate sport. in truth its one of the best vhicles ive owned reliavilty wise. as diesels go its not the highest mileage, but its a bit like schitt from a shovel when the EGR is clean and i get the gear box changes right.

Ive done 100,000 miles in it - it still passes mot first time (with maintenace) has an awesome sound system. sadly, and this is maybe me getting used to rear wheel drive again, it no longer looks for excuses to send me to A+E when the road is wet, missus is either happy about that or is hiding her feelings well.

car is a great vehicle, lexus dealers make Jeep dealers look like decent chaps though.  100,000 miles back - car needs new radiator today still got same radiator.  many other issues dealer wise, but why spoil a good car? 

That sounds like an absolute nightmare you've had on the electrical front, glad it's all resolved now!

I myself am a new owner of an IS220D and I have to say, I couldn't be happier, yes the car has its foibles; long gearing, not hugely economically, but what car doesn't! Mine is serving me very well after the first 5k Miles of ownership, I'm averaging about 47/48mpg on 70% motorway journeys, 30% country roads/short trips. On single motorway journeys, if I set cruise control at 65-67mph in 5th gear it averages over 55mpg everytime (see images attached of most recent journey, showing tank average of 49.2mpg over approx 300 miles and motorway average of 58.6mpg over approx 110 miles) I've encountered none of the drama that many forum users have, engine is clean as a whistle, EGR and DPF function perfectly, zero smoke etc. Seems like you and I got the only decent IS220Ds in the country 😂 congrats on racking up 100k miles with no reliability issues and still passing MOT first time, my model has performed the same feat, 17 years old, 32k miles when I bought it, and passed every single MOT without even an advisory, with the exception of the last one before I bought it, that stated rear tyres were ten years old and were beginning to perish. 

20230407_102615.jpg

20230405_163725.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hear no evil said:

That sounds like an absolute nightmare you've had on the electrical front, glad it's all resolved now!

I myself am a new owner of an IS220D and I have to say, I couldn't be happier, yes the car has its foibles; long gearing, not hugely economically, but what car doesn't! Mine is serving me very well after the first 5k Miles of ownership, I'm averaging about 47/48mpg on 70% motorway journeys, 30% country roads/short trips. On single motorway journeys, if I set cruise control at 65-67mph in 5th gear it averages over 55mpg everytime (see images attached of most recent journey, showing tank average of 49.2mpg over approx 300 miles and motorway average of 58.6mpg over approx 110 miles) I've encountered none of the drama that many forum users have, engine is clean as a whistle, EGR and DPF function perfectly, zero smoke etc. Seems like you and I got the only decent IS220Ds in the country 😂 congrats on racking up 100k miles with no reliability issues and still passing MOT first time, my model has performed the same feat, 17 years old, 32k miles when I bought it, and passed every single MOT without even an advisory, with the exception of the last one before I bought it, that stated rear tyres were ten years old and were beginning to perish. 

20230407_102615.jpg

20230405_163725.jpg

Most of IS220d issues are caused by people not using them correctly (same as most other diesels), diesels are just not meant to be used on short journeys in the cities. How majority of people are using cars? For short journeys in the cities! That causes all the usual issues - DPF, EGR, Injectors, Turbo etc. Now sure IS220d had the famous head-gasket problem, so that is potentially the only real issue unique to IS220d that competitors do not have.

Your car being low mileage and you mostly staying on motorway, I honestly would not expect any problems to crop-up. This is how the car meant to be used and even rather awkward gearbox is much less of an issue when you staying at constant speed with cruise control on.

The problems only start when people use these cars wrong and instead of fixing underlying issue i.e. having wrong car for wrong type of driving, they start messing-up with removing DPFs, EGRs etc. and getting into never ending list of issues. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Most of IS220d issues are caused by people not using them correctly (same as most other diesels), diesels are just not meant to be used on short journeys in the cities. How majority of people are using cars? For short journeys in the cities! That causes all the usual issues - DPF, EGR, Injectors, Turbo etc. Now sure IS220d had the famous head-gasket problem, so that is potentially the only real issue unique to IS220d that competitors do not have.

Your car being low mileage and you mostly staying on motorway, I honestly would not expect any problems to crop-up. This is how the car meant to be used and even rather awkward gearbox is much less of an issue when you saying at constant speed with cruise control on.

The problems only start when people use these cars wrong and instead of fixing underlying issue i.e. having wrong car for wrong type of driving, they start messing-up with removing DPFs, EGRs etc. and getting into never ending list of issues. 

Totally agree, I've just been saying the very same thing on another thread, diesels were designed to eat up miles, hence trucks/vans all being diesel. Well at least until the introduction of EV's and hybrid technology. I've had my car remapped (custom) with the emphasis more on economy than power, although it is more powerful as a result of the map. I think diesels do require meticulous maintenance and you certainly can't afford to stretch out service intervals, like you might be able to with a petrol. Providing one is rigid with this and uses a diesel for it's intended purpose, then it will serve you well. I've had a BMW 320d,  BMW 330d, Jaguar X-Type, Ford Mondeo, VW Passat and Ford Kuga, put over 500k miles on them, literally never had a single issue with the archetypal issues (DPF EGR, Turbo etc) had a leaking injector seal on the Kuga and a post cat o2 sensor go wrong on the Jaguar. That's it in 500k miles. 

I should add as well, I'm a proponent of using good a quality engine and TBE flush and fuel conditioner. I've used Archoil D6400 as a flush for years, and either use Archoil D6900 or Oilsyn Diesel Power as a conditioner. There's alot of cheap rubbish out there, but the top end products, of which there are a very few, are absolutely worth investing in. Every mechanic I've ever used has been shocked at how clean the top end components (EGR, injectors etc) of all my cars have been, and I can only put it down to the additives. Not only that, you'll get a smoother, quieter running engine, and usually an uplift in mpg of 3-5%, be wary of interpreting statements on these products such as 'restores performance' thinking it will transform you car, it doesn't add power, it will just help bring your car back to how it should and/or help maintain it. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/9/2023 at 4:54 PM, Hear no evil said:

I should add as well, I'm a proponent of using good a quality engine and TBE flush and fuel conditioner. I've used Archoil D6400 as a flush for years, and either use Archoil D6900 or Oilsyn Diesel Power as a conditioner. There's alot of cheap rubbish out there, but the top end products, of which there are a very few, are absolutely worth investing in. Every mechanic I've ever used has been shocked at how clean the top end components (EGR, injectors etc) of all my cars have been, and I can only put it down to the additives. Not only that, you'll get a smoother, quieter running engine, and usually an uplift in mpg of 3-5%, be wary of interpreting statements on these products such as 'restores performance' thinking it will transform you car, it doesn't add power, it will just help bring your car back to how it should and/or help maintain it. 

As someone who worked for Liqui Moly, I can truthfully say that additives make a big difference, BUT only if they are used as a preventative measure. People often turn to additives when it's too late and expect them to do miracles. This applies to all cars, diesel and petrol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H3XME said:

As someone who worked for Liqui Moly, I can truthfully say that additives make a big difference, BUT only if they are used as a preventative measure. People often turn to additives when it's too late and expect them to do miracles. This applies to all cars, diesel and petrol.

Yes that is very true - preventative maintenance only, once actual metal is worn out put any additives you like it won't put the metal back in.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:26 AM, Jaro said:

Hello All,

I am writing this thread to help fellow future Lexus owners. There is an IS250 new buyers thread, but can't see one for IS220D.

I have had the joys(not) of owning a 220D. I thought of writing this thread for new potential buyers of this car.

If there was a thread for IS220D before going to test drive my old IS220D, I wouldn't have never got it, and would have just went for IS250 instead LOL! 🙂

PROS :

* Very good spec for the year of the car - I have had the Sport model, which came with auto lights + wipers, memory seats, fully electric seats with lumbar support also.

It also had a 9 mode sunroof, but I believe that was an added extra option. 

Very good sound quality (I believe it's the Mark Levinson head unit).

Auto dimming rear view mirror + auto dimming side view mirrors which tilt down when reversing.

Keyless entry and start + front and rear parking sensors.

* Much better drive comfort than it's competitors - Especially for longer journeys, drive is very comfy and the car is very practical.

CONS:

* High Tax Costs - The tax band for this car is quite high, as it comes around £330 a year.

* High Fuel Costs - The reported figures are 35mpg/City and 52mpg/Motorway for the non sport models and 29mpg/City 45mpg/Motorway.

However, from my experience and Fuelly average checks, it will be hard to get above 35/mpg on a motorway run, and more than 25mpg in city.

If you give the car a good run, you will be seeing around 20mpg in city, and 27mpg on motorways.

* Gearbox Is Awful - On the Non Sport models, you will find yourself not being able to shift into 6th gear on motorways, as the RPM's are too low driving at 70-75mpg.

On the Sport model, the gears are too short, and the 1st and 6th gears are useless.

The gearbox stick is heavy and chunky, and quite uncomfortable to shift gears.

There is a quite loud crunch when changing into 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. 

* The Engine Generally Feels Underpowered - This is obviously a large car, and made for comfort, not speed. However the engine feels underpowered, when taking off as the turbo starts to kick in at 2k RPM's. In first gear, the acceleration is slow and sluggish.

* The Engine Has Lots Of Common Faults - It has the Toyota D4D engine, that is being used in Toyota Avensis. The injectors do go bad quite often, and head gaskets go     bad on them very often as well. The EGR valves are also known to get very clogged easily, and need regular cleaning (Easy job,  if  you don't mind getting your hands dirty).

WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR ON THE TEST DRIVE

BEFORE TEST DRIVE

* Head Gasket Leak -  When engine is cold , pop the bonnet and unscrew the oil cap. The oil cap should be nice and clean, with no frothy contents on it and milky like        residue. Also, check the coolant level and colour of it, it should be topped to max and it should be nice pink colour.  

* Fuel Injectors Condition - Take the engine cover off, and start the engine. Inspect the engine near injectors and look out for any leaks. Put your ear close to  each injector  and listen out for any rattling or knocking sounds. If it has any fuel leaks, or knocking sounds, steer away! It will be very pricey!

*Auto Lights/Wipers - Turn the wipers and lights stalk to 'Auto' setting. There is a sensor on the windscreen, in the same position where the rear view mirror sits. Cover it  with your hands, and have someone else inspect the lights - they should turn on. Take a bottle of water with you, and throw the water on the windscreen, it should wipe it off.

*Seats/Radio/Air Con/Sun Roof - Check that the seat can be moved front/back, back of seat can be moved fron/back, seat height can be adjusted. If the car has memory   function, put the car in neutral, start the car, put the hand brake on and hold the 'Set' button and press 1,2 and 3. There should be a beep indicating the position was set. Check that the radio works. Also check that the aircon blows hot/cold air and that the sun roof opens if there is one fitted in the car.

*Check MPG - Check the AVG MPG and Tank MPG indicated on the computer. Reset it, by holding the 'Disp' button on the AVG MPG button. Go for an extended test             drive, and check the MPG displayed. It usually overstates about 1/2 mpg depending on tyres etc, so bare that in mind.

DURING TEST DRIVE/AFTER TEST DRIVE

* Brake Callipers - Walk around each side of the car and check for heat coming from brakes. Each pair of wheels should be the same heat, if one is hotter than other,          callipers are seized and will require rebuilding/replacing which is quite expensive. Another obvious tell tale sign is the car pulling to a side.

* Brakes - Check that the brakes are not spongy, and brake hard enough.

* Oil filter cap seized - The cap, where the oil filter screws into may be overtightened and impossible to get out. Make sure to ask, if it has been changed and if you are      buying from dealer, ask them to check it before sale. Mine was screwed on solid, and had to get a new oil filter housing, which took a very long time to find second hand, as breakers don't sell them separate, they sell them whole on the engine block. I have scrapped the car before fitting it on, so still got mine if anyone is after one!

Leaking shocks - Check if you can see any leakage coming from shock absorbers, expensive replacements but not a real issue - some owners have reported replacing    them and hard to find.

* Exhaust Smoke - As any diesel, do a hard acceleration while checking your rear view mirror - there should be no clouds of smoke left behind. If you can, have someone    watch you while accelerating past them for any smoke - lots of smoke could mean lots of expensive fixes.

* Clutch -  Make sure that the clutch is not rattling or vibrating, when depressed. The biting point shouldn't be too low or too high, and there shouldn't be any fishy smells   in the cabin.

* Exhaust - Check that after test drive, there is no exhaust smell in the cabin or outside the car. This could indicate bad cat, and exhaust replacement is quite expensive       for this and the IS250 model.

* Rust - Check for general health on wheel arches and underneath the car. It shouldn't be excessively rusty.

Hope this helps prospective buyers! My opinion is, that there is a reason on why these are cheaper than the IS250. I have had mine for a while, and there was nothing but issues. Bad MPG, high road tax, rear callipers were seized, front calliper was seized, there was an exhaust issue and more. I have ended up trading mine in for IS250, and the V6 petrol version is better on MPG, than the IS220D sport model :O. No DPF, no EGR systems to be blocked.  If you want the Lexus, just go for an IS250, as it is much more better running costs wise to IS220D, and much more reliable. If you really, really want a diesel, switch to an Audi A5, BMW 520D or Mercedes E Class, do not go for IS220D, unless it has had new injectors, head gasket replaced, and DPF is clean. But let's be honest, if someone invested that much money in it, they will not be selling it LOL! 😄

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE LOOKING TO BUY AN IS220D.

The is250 sounds much nicer too..

• 3 weeks later...

Old thread but seems well revived.

I am also new here, yet find it irresistible to comment regarding the OPs initial post. I'm just in the door, I know, but I believe other users will agree.

Since my genuine belief is that the OPs original post could sway the mind of a prospective IS220d buyer into a wrong decision; I feel it imperative to make comment from the point of view of a qualified engineer (not automotive, so no Lexus/IS bias here - just appropriate qualifications to comment).

I really don't mean to be rude and truly hope it doesn't come across as rude, but there a few points which whittle the OPs "guide" down to nothing more than someones experience of buying a badly maintained vehicle (sometimes known as a lemon, regardless of make), and/or has no knowledge of the secondhand car market nor the workings of cars mechanically. And secondly, a general secondhand car buying guide.

All points raised were by no means "common faults" to any Lexus. They are almost all caused by a complete lack of appropriate maintenance.

If anyone is looking for a secondhand, reliable, luxury diesel saloon then do NOT look past the IS220d. The value with this vehicle is currently unmatched by any other car on the secondhand car market; regardless of manufacturer. The specifications (I refer to quality of design and engineering) are simply unmatched, anywhere.

Which other car of this high spec, e.g, timing chain, rear wheel drive, bomb-proof and time-proven diesel engine, outstanding suspension design and geometry, superb quality electrics throughout the (quality copper) loom and control devices/sensors/motors, including higher wire gauge and box connectors (all of excellent quality), an audio system which has been tested and developed to levels you wouldn't believe (and sounds incredible as a result), luxurious comfort, bla bla the list goes on and on. It all adds up to the value point.

In fact, with respect to the consistent lowering of car quality over the years, I challenge anyone to name a vehicle on the secondhand car market which is below 10 years old to present day which can match the quality of this vehicle for less than 40k. Bold statement? Try it, and I'll tell you why I disagree, from the point of view of a qualified production design engineer. (EDIT: no other Lexus model)

So, prospective IS220d buyers; look for good full history, low owner numbers, and try to get someone with a little knowledge to help you view.

• Like 1

If you really, really want a diesel, switch to an Audi A5, BMW 520D or Mercedes E Class, do not go for IS220D, unless it has had new injectors, head gasket replaced, and DPF is clean. But let's be honest, if someone invested that much money in it, they will not be selling it LOL! 😄

If you really, really want a diesel, switch to an Audi A5, BMW 520D or Mercedes E Class, do not go for IS220D, unless it has had new injectors, head gasket replaced, and DPF is clean. But let's be honest, if someone invested that much money in it, they will not be selling it LOL! 😄

With the greatest respect, this advice is shockingly inaccurate. those German diesels are nothing more than a badge these days. Also, if the prospective IS220d (or any diesel for that matter!!) has had the injectors or the head gasket replaced, avoid it. Simple as. Unless you prefer higher 160k + mileage vehicles that is, in which case it may need injector maintenance at some stage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LexiconOfLove said:

With the greatest respect, this advice is shockingly inaccurate. those German diesels are nothing more than a badge these days. Also, if the prospective IS220d (or any diesel for that matter!!) has had the injectors or the head gasket replaced, avoid it. Simple as. Unless you prefer higher 160k + mileage vehicles that is, in which case it may need injector maintenance at some stage.

I couldn't agree more. I bought a 06 IS220D in Feb with c.30k miles on the clock. I then proceeded to read the horror stories on here about how bad they were, having owned various diesels before (Mondeo, X-Type, 3 Series) I started to panic that I'd made a mistake, but fast forward 7 months and 24k miles later and the Lexus has been absolutely faultless, better than any previous diesel I've had, 3 services in, no gremlins, no trouble, averaging 46.6mpg across that 24k miles too with a 70/30% split of extra urban/urban. Yes the gearbox is agricultural and ratios too long, but they're easily driven around. Diesel cars need to be meticulously maintained (prevention rather than cure) and used for their intended purpose (long continuous journeys) I can only think that all the horror story contributors on here either were severely unlucky, didn't use their diesels as intended, instead only doing small journeys or simply neglected their cars. I must have spoken to half a dozen IS220D owners in person since I bought mine and the same amount of people on this forum and everyone of them was/is over the moon with their Is220d, the only common denominator I could ascertain was they were all used predominantly for long journeys and preventative maintenance was definitely part of all their MO's. 

• Like 2

Also it was clear to me after a month or two of joining this forum that as with anything in life, many contributors have an agenda, especially the anti-diesel/ environmentalists. If you search diesel/dpf/egr or anything akin to that and trawl through the previous posts you'll see the same names pop up time and time again, basically saying the same thing over and over again, that diesels are universally bad and you're an idiot for buying one 

Some absolutely fantastic points raised and added to the subject there, thank you, Miles.

It certainly seems that you appreciate the outstanding quality of any Lexus, especially those of age.

I know (even without you telling me), that the 30k mile luxury car you mention and were initially worried about cost far less than it's actual value. The market (demand) dictates these prices, regardless of value.

Very interesting views about a possible shill population on forums too. Something I hadn't even thought about. I admire your extended thought process on the subject.

• Like 1

I thought I would add my experience of the IS200d,   all the faults with the 220d I didnt want one so I went and bought the 200d, I had it 6yrs and apart from the fueleconomy it was a great car. No faults in all the time of owning it apart from 200 miles from home and decided to go into lkimp mode. As it was night time I decided to drive it back home, I forgot my code reader so couldnt do anything .  it was very slow on the hills but once up to speed on the flat it stayed there till the next hill,  got home scanned it and it was a generic code saying it could be a few things, cleared it and never had a issue since. Over 2yrs since it happened.  My son has it now and he loves it has his daily now. I only got rid as there is no space in the IS ... I now have a RX which is growing on me ..

If anyone is after a diesel IS then I would choose the 200d for sure 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LexiconOfLove said:

Some absolutely fantastic points raised and added to the subject there, thank you, Miles.

It certainly seems that you appreciate the outstanding quality of any Lexus, especially those of age.

I know (even without you telling me), that the 30k mile luxury car you mention and were initially worried about cost far less than it's actual value. The market (demand) dictates these prices, regardless of value.

Very interesting views about a possible shill population on forums too. Something I hadn't even thought about. I admire your extended thought process on the subject.

You're spot on the car cost £4k with a FLSH. And there's defo a shill pop, search the topics as suggested, you too will see 😂 

2 hours ago, Miles Simmons said:

...the car cost £4k with a FLSH...

There you go, you basically stole it.

How can a high mile VAG smokey banger compare to that. Or Merc for that matter.

With regards to shill population; as a man who doubts all before the extent of cynic, you've convinced me already!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LexiconOfLove said:

There you go, you basically stole it.

How can a high mile VAG smokey banger compare to that. Or Merc for that matter.

Well actually I can contextualise that perfectly. On the same forecourt there was a 2011 VW Passat 2.0tdi with 130k and it was £3.25k. Those were the only two comparable diesels. And my Lexus was mint, the Passat average to good. 

You got a wonderful bargain. Great comparison, and if I may add, the Passat isn't even half the car in design nor quality.

The best IS220d bargain for me - 2007, 48k, FLSH £2.8k almost spotless in condition. I picked that one up in Birmingham I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LexiconOfLove said:

You got a wonderful bargain. Great comparison, and if I may add, the Passat isn't even half the car in design nor quality.

The best IS220d bargain for me - 2007, 48k, FLSH £2.8k almost spotless in condition. I picked that one up in Birmingham I think.

2.8k 🤯

Yes, 2.8. This particular gem was purchased for my girlfriend. She had a 4k budget, I produced the car for her, tax, insurance and a five digit private plate. Total cost approx. £3.9k.

I also run a IS220d. Also '07. 65k miles, FLSH, 3rd owner, £4k.

Fantastic cars.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LexiconOfLove said:

Yes, 2.8. This particular gem was purchased for my girlfriend. She had a 4k budget, I produced the car for her, tax, insurance and a five digit private plate. Total cost approx. £3.9k.

I also run a IS220d. Also '07. 65k miles, FLSH, 3rd owner, £4k.

Fantastic cars.

Couldn't agree more re: IS220D. Here's to amazing vfm and top end refinement even at entry level 🙌🏼🔥🖤

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links