Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF - REVIEW

On 10/31/2021 at 3:46 PM, Arnett said:

Disagree with him on a lot of his comments and I also do not really rate his driving at all. He waffles something chronic, and even not talking about how differently it drives dependent on the TVD settings.

Those roads should have had slalom mode enabled.  He claims the seats dont hold you in? wha? Those are possibly the most comfortable seats that hold you in place in any car.  There are so many failings with his video. 

Totally agree with you bud.

On 10/31/2021 at 3:46 PM, Arnett said:

Disagree with him on a lot of his comments and I also do not really rate his driving at all. He waffles something chronic, and even not talking about how differently it drives dependent on the TVD settings.

Those roads should have had slalom mode enabled.  He claims the seats dont hold you in? wha? Those are possibly the most comfortable seats that hold you in place in any car.  There are so many failings with his video. 

He's not my favourite, but I'm still glad he makes videos. He approaches cars a bit differently than most reviewers and usually brings up some interesting points even if I don't agree with everything, nor particularly like his presenting style. But at least it's something different and not too "youtuber".

Aside from putting his foot down a few times I'm not convinced he's ever truly spanked the car, at least that's how it looks from the video. Most of the time he is at low rpm and most of the exterior shots are of the car just moderately driving past. He even said he was being cautious. I agree his driving style is very relaxed, he seems to be more about driver feel and feedback rather than pushing hard, it doesn't really suit the car. He complains the shifts are slow, but as we all know the low-mid rpm shifts are slow and lazy, the high rpm shifts are fast and with decent bite, and I never once heard him do a proper high rpm rev-match downshift with that spine-tingling bark which is one of the best parts about these cars.

Maybe he didn't adjust the seats properly. It took a few adjustments to get mine dialled in. Or they might just not suit his body type.

I don't necessarily disagree with him about the TVD though. At least to me, it's certainly not an obvious difference between the modes, it's so subtle. Any tips? Should I push harder in the corners? I'm scared.

But hey, the F cars are not for everyone and they tend to take a bit of time to grow on people. My first test drive of an RCF I kinda couldn't believe how slow and lazy it felt, but I was coming from a turbo'd 2.0 TSI with a DSG. My second test drive I made sure I was in full sport S+ and manual mode and that's when I started to appreciate how the performance is there, you just have to work a bit to get it.

21 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Somehow I think Lexus will loose the plot again and not produce attractive cars, hope I'm wrong.

I'm convinced that Toyota/Lexus seem to do their level best to produce decent well made components with a very decent warranty.

I sold my CL65 AMG just before a major service, MB Brooklands (MB World) who were leagues above most AMG/MB retailers for servicing quoted me just under £3k for it's next service, let alone the £1900 per annum warranty, so my conclusion was that the Lexus was as cheap as chips to run overall.

£3k for a service and £1900 pa for warranty…..reading that I feel even more smug with my choice! It’ll be a shame if Lexus turn their back even more on offering performance orientated options. The fact that the IS500 V8 is not available in the UK (nor Europe I believe) to me is a statement of intent.

1 hour ago, Rob RCF said:

He's not my favourite, but I'm still glad he makes videos. He approaches cars a bit differently than most reviewers and usually brings up some interesting points even if I don't agree with everything, nor particularly like his presenting style. But at least it's something different and not too "youtuber".

Aside from putting his foot down a few times I'm not convinced he's ever truly spanked the car, at least that's how it looks from the video. Most of the time he is at low rpm and most of the exterior shots are of the car just moderately driving past. He even said he was being cautious. I agree his driving style is very relaxed, he seems to be more about driver feel and feedback rather than pushing hard, it doesn't really suit the car. He complains the shifts are slow, but as we all know the low-mid rpm shifts are slow and lazy, the high rpm shifts are fast and with decent bite, and I never once heard him do a proper high rpm rev-match downshift with that spine-tingling bark which is one of the best parts about these cars.

Maybe he didn't adjust the seats properly. It took a few adjustments to get mine dialled in. Or they might just not suit his body type.

I don't necessarily disagree with him about the TVD though. At least to me, it's certainly not an obvious difference between the modes, it's so subtle. Any tips? Should I push harder in the corners? I'm scared.

But hey, the F cars are not for everyone and they tend to take a bit of time to grow on people. My first test drive of an RCF I kinda couldn't believe how slow and lazy it felt, but I was coming from a turbo'd 2.0 TSI with a DSG. My second test drive I made sure I was in full sport S+ and manual mode and that's when I started to appreciate how the performance is there, you just have to work a bit to get it.

The car hugs the road and corners so beautifully with slalom, take yourself to a big open car park at night and asbo yourself. Stick it in sport S and slalom try some tight turns. Then stick it into s+ and feel the back end play around like mad with the looser settings. 

Tracks I rarely played with pretty sure that's for accerational responsiveness  

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, Arnett said:

The car hugs the road and corners so beautifully with slalom, take yourself to a big open car park at night and asbo yourself. Stick it in sport S and slalom try some tight turns. Then stick it into s+ and feel the back end play around like mad with the looser settings. 

Tracks I rarely played with pretty sure that's for accerational responsiveness  

Okay so I know what you mean now. It feels like a push from the outside rear wheel helping you rotate through the corner. I have noticed it a few times, even in normal mode, but it does seem to happen more often in slalom. Doesn't happen all the time, but you can feel it in normal driving, usually on slow or tight turns on moderate throttle. Track mode feels more normal, according to the manual it emphasises high speed stability (I guess it just sends less torque to the outside wheel).

Haven't found a big empty car park yet. They all seem to be the more modern type around here, with islands/dividers spaced throughout them.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links