Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil light slow to turn off on cold start

note

Hello,

The car is IS 200 1G-FE. Oil and filter changed 1 year ago, but I've  only done 2k miles so far. The oil is Ravenol VSI 5W-40, PAO-based full-synthetic.

As the weather got colder (sometimes it drops to 0°C overnight ), I noticed the oil pressure light is slower to turn off in the mornings. It stays on for about 2 seconds after a cold start. The second time is OK, goes off as soon as the starter turns. The oil level is at the top mark and has always been there. The oil color is light brown.

Is this normal for our model? Should I worry? Maybe change the filter and oil, just to be safe?

Thank you!

Do you have genuine Toyota oil filter? Some cheap ones don't have a non-return valve which allows oil to drain away which then takes a few seconds to build back up pressure.

I assume the light was red which refers to pressure. If it is amber then it is related to the oil level.

Might be worth using an oil flush and change the oil and filter. I think 10W-30 is the recommended grade for that engine, certainly for a UK climate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! It is an aftermarket filter. It has not given me any problems until now, but I will change it for a genuine Toyota one and find out if that's the problem.

• 8 months later...

So...I changed the filter, but it did not help. Then I changed the oil and the filter one more time.

The oil is Petro Canada Supreme Synthetic 5W-30. I thought lighter oil would help with the cold start. The filter is Hengst.

Now it takes even more time for the light to go out - just short of 2 seconds. Here is a video with ambient temp around 10C:

Or maybe it is normal for this engine?

Personally I think that’s pretty normal, the engine sounds smooth on idle with no knocking on cranking.

Given it has now been like that since your previous post 8 months ago without causing any problems I wouldn’t worry unduly.

Hengst is not a filter brand I’m familiar with here in the UK so cannot comment on the quality or construction as I tend to use OEM Toyota as suggested by Colin.

• Thanks 1

The engine gives me no problems at all. It does not burn any oil. What is bugging me is that with other cars the light takes less than a second.

We have tried 3 different filter brands, all OEM quality. The garage only works with certain brands, so I have to look for another mechanic too.

Apologies if I missed something along the way but if the video is attempting to show a 2-second delay in the extinguishment of the oil light then in a word it doesn't! The oil light (top left) goes off more or less instantly on the start of the engine! Did I misinterpret something?

Ah, just replayed, and I now assume you are referring to the lower light which curiously looks like a second oil light.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links