Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New electric LFA revealed

Goodknight777

It is not new LFA, just an electric Lexus Coupe Concept, so comparison with LFA is not really right. Press called it "LFA inspired", but any inspiration I can see is Aston Martin Vulcan... the only thing which LFA has in common with this is that it is 2-door GT Lexus coupe... but in such case it may be as well LC or RC inspired, because both are as well 2-door GT Lexus coupes.

It looks ok (as any concept to be honest), but I find it purely a concept art which has way to many issues to represent the practical product for example it has this long long hood reminiscent of vintage GT car with maybe V16 FR layout. This would be completely unnecessary and unpractical in BEV. Most purpose built BEVs have "skateboard" type of chassis which is most suitable for BEV car - keeps Battery low to the ground and packaging simple. Lotus have deviated from design in Evija and put batteries centrally in the car where engine used to be in mid-engine car (still they kept it low to the ground, just not completely covering entire floor) - so that is another alternative for high power BEV... In neither case long hood is needed.

So the concept art tries to combine ascetics of this vintage nostalgic GT silhouette with SCI-FI elements of the future and it looks good, but it will never be made into real car, nor called LFA.

• 2 months later...

16 hours ago, Fatts said:

This is more likely, but how many times we heard TTV8 rumour ? 😄

I just can't see why Lexus would do it - they have design of amazing V10, which requires no further development (sort of, minor changes to get it past emissions and maybe adding few NM/HP). Why would Lexus develop whole new V8 which would basically be inferiour as far as exclusivity and car class goes? This is kind of subjective, but one does not need to get super-car to get TTV8, this is sports car/GT territory BMW 650i. And I mean sure McLaren uses TTV8 and it is arguable supercar (but maybe GT like Aston), but V10 screams of supercar with away and Lexus already has it developed. Other thing to note forced induction engine is far more complex than simply slapping some turbos, it requires almost full redesign, because cylinder pressures are completely different. Argument could be made that they can use existing 8AR-FTS as a basis, it was rumoured all along to be Lexus "modular design" - which could be reused to make TTV8, TTV6, TTL6 etc. But all things considered it won't be enough for LFA - say even if it makes 2.5 times power, from 2 times displacement... it would only be around 600HP. Sort of power for new RC-F maybe, not LFA. LFA nowadays would need 800HP to be somewhat relevant. And again why waste money developing new engine for ~ 40HP? In short I don't believe TTV8 story the tiniest bit (or to be honest LFA2 with ICE all together), or basically I will only believe it when I see it. Lexus won't waste money developing new TTV8 just few years before going fully electric. I can see however a small niche for them to fit V10 for sort of anniversary model - basically last ICE car ever made by Lexus, so that they go out "with a bang".

As for design, this is clearly some press outlet guessing, last one was Vulcan inspired, this one is Huracan inspired, but I actually like it, I think it is more likely than previous ones, except of the exhaust... what is going on there?! 😄

You have a point there Linas “why would Lexus commit money to develop a short run TTV8” when they already have a V10 that can be updated. The problem I see is that the V10’s will fall foul of emission regulations in most markets forcing most manufacturers to go the way of forced induction with slightly lesser capacities. If you look at the latest products from AMG for example they are 4.0 litres turbocharged with mild hybrid pairing . Thus one can look at this story from different perspectives.

• 3 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links