Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold frosty morning reversing up steep hill

I'm out of town and last night parked facing downhill on a steep lane. This morning car was misty when I started up. Only way out is to reverse up the steep hill and then turn around. I warmed up the car a little for about 10mins but not enough for temp gauge to start rising. Anyway as I'm reverse I had to rev quiet a bit to get the power to reverse up but at the same time I had to do it slow because it was very narrow. As I was reversing, there was a lot more smoke than usual. And the smoke was blowing towards the front of the car. I had the window open and the smoke passed me but didn't smell or anything. Looked like the same cold start smoke but much much more of it. Just got me a little concerned. Then I drove up lots of steep incline roads and was looking at my mirrors and couldn't see any smoke at all. Just wondering can condensation smoke be worse like that if reversing with high revs ?

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Perhaps because the car was facing downhill any water in the exhaust couldn't run out but collect nearer the front?

That's a very good possibility. Being very steep, I'm having to rev up quite a bit. I'm assuming the reverse gear can handle this? 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bigbullhead

If it struggles in winter going uphill cold I found my gearbox oil was low from a previous owner not topping up the oil properly changed it all at gearbox garage and all is now ok 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links