Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front bumper poking out at the corner

Has anyone found a solution to this bumper not staying in place? I find that if I turn the screw it will easily screw out but when I get it all the way in, it just doesn't seem to get any tighter and hold the U shaped clip in.

20220103_124612.jpg

How is the hole in the bumper looks like? 

Maybe it has been damaged so it now forces the corner out when fully tightened? I am not sure about solution, because genuine bumpers don't do this (or non-broken ones).

Funny enough, my bumper is similar, but mine is clearly broken - my plan is to glue maybe plastic washer or make up some bracket from sheet metal to strengthen broken tab.

here is how the tad should look like vs. how it shouldn't look like:

20220103_140315.thumb.jpg.efd1d0abf44483297687365cf70d8b96.jpg20220103_140353.thumb.jpg.130aebc457528ca19538a235c87020e9.jpg

8 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Maybe it has been damaged so it now forces the corner out when fully tightened? I am not sure about solution, because genuine bumpers don't do this (or non-broken ones).

Funny enough, my bumper is similar, but mine is clearly broken - my plan is to glue maybe plastic washer or make up some bracket from sheet metal to strengthen broken tab.

20220103_140315.thumb.jpg.efd1d0abf44483297687365cf70d8b96.jpg20220103_140353.thumb.jpg.130aebc457528ca19538a235c87020e9.jpg

Mine is deffo broken, it's like the end part is broken off completely as it looks like a U shape.

10 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I forgot to add when I bought the car a few weeks back it was popped out but I did ask the dealership to fix it, which they did but I assume all they did was pop it in by hand.

I think I'm probably being a bit nitpicky going back and asking them to fix it to be honestI , was was wondering can I just glue it in and hold it for a while till it stays but I don't want to go bodging anything up; I'd like to see if I could use a washer too.

If your bumper fixing point is like in the picture Linas posted then it can be fixed. Same happened on my car but on the back bumper. I used a metal washer and glued it in place using Araldite. A 2 part glue. I then used a nut and bolt and it's still in place over a year later. Bit of a fiddly job but very doable. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, LittleCasper said:

I forgot to add when I bought the car a few weeks back it was popped out but I did ask the dealership to fix it, which they did but I assume all they did was pop it in by hand.

I think I'm probably being a bit nitpicky going back and asking them to fix it to be honestI , was was wondering can I just glue it in and hold it for a while till it stays but I don't want to go bodging anything up; I'd like to see if I could use a washer too.

I think it would be fair enough to ask them to fix it properly, if you asked to fix it and they just popped it in - that would be classified as miss-selling. 

But as for fixing it, my plan was exactly as Vlad described - use some sort of epoxy and glue in washer or some sheet metal tab to reinforce it and that would do.

22 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

If your bumper fixing point is like in the picture Linas posted then it can be fixed. Same happened on my car but on the back bumper. I used a metal washer and glued it in place using Araldite. A 2 part glue. I then used a nut and bolt and it's still in place over a year later. Bit of a fiddly job but very doable. 

I'll have to give that a go, thanks for the advice guys.

Tbh the place I bought it from is over 50 miles away, so I'll probably jus fix it myself, plus I imagine they're only going to do what you guys suggested anyways, I'll take the bolt out and find a washer of the same/similar size; it should stop it popping forwards then hopefully.

I'd get the biggest size washer you can get to fit, even if you have to file a bit off. The more contact the better. Good luck with your efforts am sure you'll do a good job. Just to add when I did mine I left the glued in washer a day so it had fully cured and I used masking tape to keep it in place (yes it'll stick where excess glue is but the rest is so easy to remove)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mr Vlad said:

I'd get the biggest size washer you can get to fit, even if you have to file a bit off. The more contact the better. Good luck with your efforts am sure you'll do a good job. Just to add when I did mine I left the glued in washer a day so it had fully cured and I used masking tape to keep it in place (yes it'll stick where excess glue is but the rest is so easy to remove)

I got a kid of assorted nylon washers on amazon, so I should be able to get a good size, thanks for all the help.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, LittleCasper said:

Has anyone found a solution to this bumper not staying in place? I find that if I turn the screw it will easily screw out but when I get it all the way in, it just doesn't seem to get any tighter and hold the U shaped clip in.

20220103_124612.jpg

I fixed mine with some black silicone. mask tape up til dry.

1 hour ago, markeyszoo said:

no blob just into joint all along then wipe with paper towel to leave just below surface,

I never thought about that tbh, should be pretty easy although do you not have to hold the panel in place to stop it popping back out and then curing in that position permanently?

16 minutes ago, markeyszoo said:

Unless really springy, tape should hold it. if not piece of wood from floor at an angle. will dry in half an hour.

Great idea, I'll pop down to screwfix and pick up some bits, got any recommendations as in regards to what silicone sealant I should use?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links