Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS300 Lower Ball Joints Torque Settings

Yorkermiles

I recently came to replace the lower ball joints on my 2002 GS300.

Lexus torque specifications is 162N-m or 119ft/ lbs.

On tightening the castle nut the threads stripped at around 120N-m.

I got a replacement part and the ball joints look good but the castle nut looks wholly inadequate for that high level of torque.

I have researched online and through videos and all state 119 ft/lbs except one American video which states it should be 83ft/lbs which is about 113 N-m.

That sounds a lot more realistic and I can't help but wonder whether the quoted 162N-m is a misprint. It appears to be similar for the IS models but cars in general never seem to have such a highly torqued ball joint.

Now I have to get this right as these ball joints on GS300 were a totally nuts design by Lexus and I am surprised they got away with it as a production car. All that stands between driving safely down the road and having catastrophic suspension failure is one castle nut...it is totally nuts and not a matter to get wrong 

Has anybody here clarified this torque settings for these ball joints? as none of these aftermarket ball joints seem to be capable of that high torque setting.

Thanks in advance.IMG_20220203_120535_576.thumb.jpg.a38f66f5b3f5fc9612c17ba8489d07ee.jpgIMG_20220203_134434_402.thumb.jpg.d603748fa4fdb7b95e1a993791b7f8ce.jpg

Seems odd. The workshop manual definitely gives that torque in both the component diagrams, and the removal/re-assembly details. Is the part you have a genuine Lexus/Toyota item?

the 113Nm value you mention is for the two bolts that hold the ball joint onto the hub.

10 minutes ago, TigerFish said:

Seems odd. The workshop manual definitely gives that torque in both the component diagrams, and the removal/re-assembly details. Is the part you have a genuine Lexus/Toyota item?

the 113Nm value you mention is for the two bolts that hold the ball joint onto the hub.

No it appears to be a Chinese product from eBay. It appears to originate from a certain NTY car parts...truly shocking castle nut quality.

Being a load bearing ball joint, I am gob smacked that someone is even selling these. I have reported it and likely to be filing a claim in the small claims court.

I will be using genuine Lexus parts from now on.

The ball joints are of such structural importance that I just can't risk chancing any other manufacturers other than OEM Lexus.

I am quite happy to buy aftermarket parts for minor things as Lexus parts cost a ransom.

Chinese replica parts are saturating everywhere and they really are rubbish and not to mention dangerous.

Moog seem to be more US side but even then they have mixed reviews.

47 minutes ago, robbyD said:

Check out Moog suspension parts. They are top quality, & will last at least as long as Lexus originals. I bought mine from US eBay.

Rockauto sell many Moog parts, I've certainly bought them and the quality appears very good. The "I'll sue you" culture in the US is so strong that I would imagine a company like Rockauto would do the necessary research into their suppliers quality.

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Rockauto sell many Moog parts, I've certainly bought them and the quality appears very good. The "I'll sue you" culture in the US is so strong that I would imagine a company like Rockauto would do the necessary research into their suppliers quality.

Wow...that's an impressive website and delivers worldwide swiftly...very impressive.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links