Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Major Service Due, Exploring options...

6 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

That is great news -I have long argued this should be done! Could you provide some more info on that as this is first time I am hearing about it.

No problem - I did a post here on this with all the details. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I have seen you post, but Lexus nowhere officially announced this and there are no official terms of service. Or at least I can't find any...

You are correct - there is nothing on the website and the T&Cs I have detailed come from my own documents after I took the Extended Warranty out. I am assuming that Lexus don't want to make a big deal out of this (though don't really know why) but it is definitely available if you contact them - I received documentation as per the old extended warranty all headed up 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty. As I mentioned Jemca Lexus were on the ball as soon as I asked about it too. A few other members have also now reported taking this out too. 

Are you sure you have not confused that with "extending" the 10 years warranty past 10 years? Because that is known fact, many IS-F owners did it and it comes under standard extended warranty, where Lexus used to allow and probably still allows to extend it past 10 years/100k miles. The key point here - to extend existing policy. But you can't go to Lexus in 12 years old car with 120k miles and just buy it outright, it has to be extended before your existing policy ends - that was always the deal. 

• Like 1

I remembered earlier that there were a few additional papers in the booklet along with my receipt from my last Lexus Visit just had a browse and it looks to be the Essential care offer 😀

They're asking for £745 which will cover 3 years of servicing, 2 minors & 1 major. £180+£375+£180 = £735 (£245 per year) but a £10 loss overall

Looks like they've made an error though as last service was a minor so it should actually be major/minor/major which would work out at 375+180+375 = £930 (£310 per year) £185 saving based on current prices. 

It also sates that for every service carried out by Lexus they'll give me a 12 month/ 10k mile warranty sounds good but sadly doesn't apply to my car as is over 10. 😒

So not really worth it for me unless they'd be willing to give me a major/minor/major service deal at £745 along with the Warranty...

Attached a pic of what you get for each service too for those that don't know. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Well... it isn't really a mistake. You can go and get yourself essential minor for £180 even thought it would seem you need major and they would simply stamp your book and say service was done on this date at X miles. They really only care to get correct service whilst the cars is under warranty and whilst it is within official Lexus service schedule, so basically up-to 100k miles. After that order doesn't really matter and they won't pay much attention.

In my case it was simple - I came for full service and I believe it was £340, they did the service and said ... "actually, would you be interested in service plan" and I am like, "tell me about it" and they basically tried to upsell me, but it made sense - "so the guy said, you can pay £340 now, or we can add minor service or you next year and add the discount... and that will be like £400"... and I was like "yeah sure, because the difference was very small between just major and major + minor".And he came back few minutes later and say it will actually be ~£420 or 440, so it was good deal. But this was obviously before Lexus Relax. 

22 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Are you sure you have not confused that with "extending" the 10 years warranty past 10 years? Because that is known fact, many IS-F owners did it and it comes under standard extended warranty, where Lexus used to allow and probably still allows to extend it past 10 years/100k miles. The key point here - to extend existing policy. But you can't go to Lexus in 12 years old car with 120k miles and just buy it outright, it has to be extended before your existing policy ends - that was always the deal. 

I don't know about the case you mention of "extending" the warranty past 10 years previously but I had a number of discussions on the phone with Jemca on this extended warranty issue when Relax came out (as I had planned to retain the old Extended Warranty at that time to the original 140K miles) and they explained that this was new and called "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" - they detailed in what situations it could be applied with reference to the new Relax (so could not be used, even if you were prepared to pay for it, with cars less than 10 years old / less than 100K miles). The price was an annual price no other multi-year offers (though the cost could be spread using monthly payments interest free) and the documentation I received carried the "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" too. Jemca never mentioned that it could only apply to extending an existing warranty, but to be fair I never asked and they knew I had an existing Extended Warranty. I guess it would need a phone call to see if could be applied to a 10 year plus car that was not already under an Extended Warranty (or Relax) - maybe they sort of formalised what you refer to when Relax came out? Wonder if the other members who took out the "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" did so off the back of an existing extended warranty or not in that case?

Yeah it would be interesting to know, because that would be very good for Lexus to offer this and very sensible if one has 10-15 years old car, of if they have say 6 years old car, but with 120k miles (not compliant with Relax). 

11 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Yeah it would be interesting to know, because that would be very good for Lexus to offer this and very sensible if one has 10-15 years old car, of if they have say 6 years old car, but with 120k miles (not compliant with Relax). 

Yes, that is where I found myself when Relax came in and the old Extended Warranty (which was valid to 10 years or 140K miles) disappeared. My car was only 7 years old but over 100K miles so I could not take advantage of Relax and so that's when I started talking to Jemca. They reassured me that the new "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" was to meet the new issue created by Relax with the added benefit it could go out to 15 years old or 150K miles. Guess we will only know for sure if someone else has managed to take out the "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" without any previous Extended Warranty in place or someone puts a call into Lexus or a dealer...

35 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Well... it isn't really a mistake. You can go and get yourself essential minor for £180 even thought it would seem you need major and they would simply stamp your book and say service was done on this date at X miles. They really only care to get correct service whilst the cars is under warranty and whilst it is within official Lexus service schedule, so basically up-to 100k miles. After that order doesn't really matter and they won't pay much attention.

In my case it was simple - I came for full service and I believe it was £340, they did the service and said ... "actually, would you be interested in service plan" and I am like, "tell me about it" and they basically tried to upsell me, but it made sense - "so the guy said, you can pay £340 now, or we can add minor service or you next year and add the discount... and that will be like £400"... and I was like "yeah sure, because the difference was very small between just major and major + minor".And he came back few minutes later and say it will actually be ~£420 or 440, so it was good deal. But this was obviously before Lexus Relax. 

Cars only done 83k so I'm assuming it would still be within the Lexus service schedule? 

I'll be asking about this 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty not holding my breath though...

3 minutes ago, eleveneleven said:

Cars only done 83k so I'm assuming it would still be within the Lexus service schedule? 

I'll be asking about this 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty not holding my breath though...

It will be interesting to hear what they say on the "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" - if you don't have any luck you could try a phone call to Lexus UK and ask them what is going on as I and others have this in place.

2 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

It will be interesting to hear what they say on the "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" - if you don't have any luck you could try a phone call to Lexus UK and ask them what is going on as I and others have this in place.

Just had a quick scan through some posts and another person who recently took out the "10 Year Plus Extended Warranty" is @Cypry 1 with a 2010 reg RX450.

9 minutes ago, eleveneleven said:

No, because service schedule states "every 1 year, or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes fist". That means because your car 14 years old, you should have 14 stamps. And to be honest book has place to stamp it up-to 240,000 miles if I am not mistaken, but the key point here is that Lexus only has service schedule up-to 100,000miles/10 years. After that you can repeat the cycle again, but there is no official service for 110,000 or 120,000, so it no longer matter. You can come at 120,000 and say do me a 60,000 service (it would actually be appropriate, because you need spark plugs and water-pump in 60,000 intervals), or you can ask for 20,000 service...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

No, because service schedule states "every 1 year, or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes fist". That means because your car 14 years old, you should have 14 stamps. And to be honest book has place to stamp it up-to 240,000 miles if I am not mistaken, but the key point here is that Lexus only has service schedule up-to 100,000miles/10 years. After that you can repeat the cycle again, but there is no official service for 110,000 or 120,000, so it no longer matter. You can come at 120,000 and say do me a 60,000 service (it would actually be appropriate, because you need spark plugs and water-pump in 60,000 intervals), or you can ask for 20,000 service...

Ahh ok I get you. 👍 

@wharfhouse I'll be digging my heels in on this one, fingers crossed I get a result. will keep you posted 

• Like 1

Slightly adjacent to the main theme, yesterday my RX MOT was due, and passed, no advisories so good news there then. On the accompanying walk-around video of my car the Lexus Derby technician identified leakage on the a/c condenser. Without warranty a replacement would have set me back £700+.  Today, Lexus Derby, emailed to say when would you like to bring it in? So there's two views here, firstly, £700 sounds pretty scandalous, what's the world coming too? Or secondly, what fantastic reassurance you get from knowing you have a Lexus warranty that shields you from such of life's vicissitudes. I for one choose the latter. 😎

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Slightly adjacent to the main theme, yesterday my RX MOT was due, and passed, no advisories so good news there then. On the accompanying walk-around video of my car the Lexus Derby technician identified leakage on the a/c condenser. Without warranty a replacement would have set me back £700+.  Today, Lexus Derby, emailed to say when would you like to bring it in? So there's two views here, firstly, £700 sounds pretty scandalous, what's the world coming too? Or secondly, what fantastic reassurance you get from knowing you have a Lexus warranty that shields you from such of life's vicissitudes. I for one choose the latter. 😎

That is good example... and even if you don't have warranty. That is one of the benefits using Lexus - they know the cars and they will notice if something is off. So even if you have to pay for it and Lexus prices are too high at least you can drive your car with confidence knowing that either there is nothing serious, or that there was something serious and you have addressed it or planning to address it. In short that gives more knowledge and more control, which means less likely to break-down somewhere unexpectedly. 

When car is in depended shop I have no such confidence that they will spot Lexus specific things. They may indeed do what I ask them to do, but I am not sure that they will check model specific areas. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

When car is in depended shop I have no such confidence that they will spot Lexus specific things. They may indeed do what I ask them to do, but I am not sure that they will check model specific areas. 

and it's only the indy garage that services the sliders etc on the calipers ............ it's never on the Service Schedule with the Main Dealer I understand ....  they'd rather replace the whole when it seizes up and fails the MOT  !

Malc

of course I might be wrong nowadays ....  anyone else know ?

56 minutes ago, Malc said:

and it's only the indy garage that services the sliders etc on the calipers ............ it's never on the Service Schedule with the Main Dealer I understand ....  they'd rather replace the whole when it seizes up and fails the MOT  !

Malc

of course I might be wrong nowadays ....  anyone else know ?

Correct Malc,  well known issue that's not looked at in either servicing schedule, but I'm sure they'll happily remove and fit new ones for you when they seize up... for a small fee 🤣

On 2/23/2022 at 2:15 PM, Linas.P said:

Perhaps my experience will clarify things a little Linus.

I bought a 12 year old (2009) RX450 last August from a private dealer, with 96k miles on the clock. I read about the 10 year plus extended warranty on here so I emailed my local Lexus dealer asking for details, and received a reply saying my car was too old for an extended warranty. I then phoned Lexus customer services, who confirmed the existence of the 10 year plus warranty,  and emailed details to my dealer. I was then provided with the extended warranty for around 500 quid a year, renewable annually until car is 15 yrs old or 150k miles. Warranty also includes UK and European breakdown cover.

So, it seems no existing warrranty is required, and you can just go in and buy it. Car needs to be serviced by Lexus to keep warranty valid,  and I think they might want to carry out an inspection first if they didn't service it last.

In short, there is a standalone extended warranty for cars 10-15yrs old and 100k-150k miles, but not all dealers appear to be aware of it, and so it may require a call to Lexus to send them the info.

• Like 4

On 2/23/2022 at 12:46 PM, wharfhouse said:

10 Year Plus Extended Warranty was established for cars that were over 10 years old but under 15 years old or were over 100K miles but under 150K miles

I was not aware of this either but my IS250 (full LSH) does just qualify. I shall make enquiries. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Perhaps my experience will clarify things a little Linus.

I bought a 12 year old (2009) RX450 last August from a private dealer, with 96k miles on the clock. I read about the 10 year plus extended warranty on here so I emailed my local Lexus dealer asking for details, and received a reply saying my car was too old for an extended warranty. I then phoned Lexus customer services, who confirmed the existence of the 10 year plus warranty,  and emailed details to my dealer. I was then provided with the extended warranty for around 500 quid a year, renewable annually until car is 15 yrs old or 150k miles. Warranty also includes UK and European breakdown cover.

So, it seems no existing warrranty is required, and you can just go in and buy it. Car needs to be serviced by Lexus to keep warranty valid,  and I think they might want to carry out an inspection first if they didn't service it last.

In short, there is a standalone extended warranty for cars 10-15yrs old and 100k-150k miles, but not all dealers appear to be aware of it, and so it may require a call to Lexus to send them the info.

Thanks for adding to the knowledge and clarifying a few more things - as there is nothing published on this it's not easy to find out details. My dealer was all clued up so it was no issue for me when I took it out but seems other dealers for some reason don't seem to know about it. 

Mine is a 2015 with 28.500 on the clock and bought in Sept last year, it was given the big 60k service by them (Lexus Coventry) prior to me collecting it.

Went in for an MOT today at Lexus Wolverhampton and I asked about a plan and he came back with a 2 year plan that has the 70k & 80k service plus 2 X MOT’s for £869, sat and mulled it over and as it was interest free I opted for that. He said that he had applied a 10% discount as being a member here.

This afternoon I started thinking that as my car is not due another service until September and the next MOT is now a year away why did I sign up for that ?, I was thinking about being covered by warranty etc but I have that (do I not) from the last Sept service so ……… ?

Thinking I will cancel this tomorrow and take out a plan at the next service date.

Thoughts appreciated.    😉

19 minutes ago, VFR said:

Mine is a 2015 with 28.500 on the clock and bought in Sept last year, it was given the big 60k service by them (Lexus Coventry) prior to me collecting it.

Went in for an MOT today at Lexus Wolverhampton and I asked about a plan and he came back with a 2 year plan that has the 70k & 80k service plus 2 X MOT’s for £869, sat and mulled it over and as it was interest free I opted for that. He said that he had applied a 10% discount as being a member here.

This afternoon I started thinking that as my car is not due another service until September and the next MOT is now a year away why did I sign up for that ?, I was thinking about being covered by warranty etc but I have that (do I not) from the last Sept service so ……… ?

Thinking I will cancel this tomorrow and take out a plan at the next service date.

Thoughts appreciated.    😉

The service plan is just a way of putting money away ready for the next service - if you pay monthly it's interest free and so if you start now you will have enough on the plan for your next service is 12 months. As for the warranty then if you bought the car from a Lexus dealer I believe you would have had 12 months used car warranty on it (but worth checking on that). If you continue to have it serviced at Lexus on schedule you will continue to be covered by the Relax warranty up to 10 years old or 100K miles whichever comes first. If you cancel the service plan then when the next service comes due in 12 months you will need to pay that in full. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

The service plan is just a way of putting money away ready for the next service - if you pay monthly it's interest free and so if you start now you will have enough on the plan for your next service is 12 months. As for the warranty then if you bought the car from a Lexus dealer I believe you would have had 12 months used car warranty on it (but worth checking on that). If you continue to have it serviced at Lexus on schedule you will continue to be covered by the Relax warranty up to 10 years old or 100K miles whichever comes first. If you cancel the service plan then when the next service comes due in 12 months you will need to pay that in full. 

Perhaps if VFR looked at my earlier post it may help 😎

21 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Yes appreciate that and as the next service is an intermediate one (cheaper) my thoughts are to just pay for that at the time.

Yes the car does have the one year cover on it as it was Lexus approved.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links