Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie MOT and Service Advice

Carriage Return

6 minutes ago, LenT said:

I may have completely misunderstood you, David, but this seems a very jaundiced view of a Dealership.  Or is it just Lexus dealers?

Firstly, I've always been able to match the MoT with a Service.  This is because the Service intervals are either 10K or 1 year.  As I have always done less than 10K in the Lexus, it's very easy to arrange both on an annual basis and thus co-ordinate them.  As it happens, the average UK mileage for 2020 was 6,533 - down from 7,559 in 2010.  On that basis, far from being rare, the average UK motorist would be having their cars serviced on an annual basis, not a mileage one.  So it could easily be co-ordinated with an MoT.

I'm not quite sure how you are defining a Service.  By using the phrase 'box ticking exercise' I presume that you are suggesting that it is conducted in a perfunctory fashion.  On what basis do you make that allegation?  I've just had mine Serviced and the Report does indeed consist of many ticked boxes, with the occasional added comment.  But our Suzuki dealer used the same method .  It ensures that the Service is conducted in a methodical fashion, as per the Manufacturer's specifications.  Frankly, that seems to me to be more reassuring than, perhaps, an Independent who is untrained in that specific Marque and may therefor not be so disciplined.

In any case, if Lexus MK had been guilty of such behaviour, they would hardly have bothered to open the bonnet or put the car up on a ramp - both of which were confirmed by my dashcam!

I would also observe that a Lexus Dealer is obliged to use Lexus approved parts and fluids; an Independent isn't.  This is obviously one area where savings can be made.  These non-Lexus approved items may be perfectly satisfactory.  Or there may be good reasons why they are cheaper.  The problem is that these reasons may take many miles to make themselves apparent!

Somewhat puzzled why you think a Lexus mechanic is not a 'professional'?  To become a Lexus Dealer - indeed to acquire any Dealership - requires a considerable financial investment in, for example, premises, branding, tooling, training, marketing and spares.  Now that may well mean that such overheads make such as Servicing more expensive than an Independent, who has no such investment in the Marque, can offer it at.  But then the mere fact that it has been such an investment means that the Dealer may be more committed to maintaining high standards in all aspects of Customer Service. 

It's all about Customer Retention  and it's not by chance that Lexus regularly tops the annual table for Customer Satisfaction. 

It may also account for the fact that last year Lexus topped (again) the MoT Pass Rate for cars up to five years old with 94.1%.

Yes, you may well save money.  But what evidence do you have that saving money this way will give you a longer period of repair free motoring?

Absolutely agree with this.  And as a car gets older - and loses market value - so owners may choose a cheaper Servicing regime.  Or maybe not bother to Service it all!

Perfectly reasoned Len 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LenT said:

I may have completely misunderstood you, David, but this seems a very jaundiced view of a Dealership.  Or is it just Lexus dealers?

Firstly, I've always been able to match the MoT with a Service.  This is because the Service intervals are either 10K or 1 year.  As I have always done less than 10K in the Lexus, it's very easy to arrange both on an annual basis and thus co-ordinate them.  As it happens, the average UK mileage for 2020 was 6,533 - down from 7,559 in 2010.  On that basis, far from being rare, the average UK motorist would be having their cars serviced on an annual basis, not a mileage one.  So it could easily be co-ordinated with an MoT.

I'm not quite sure how you are defining a Service.  By using the phrase 'box ticking exercise' I presume that you are suggesting that it is conducted in a perfunctory fashion.  On what basis do you make that allegation?  I've just had mine Serviced and the Report does indeed consist of many ticked boxes, with the occasional added comment.  But our Suzuki dealer used the same method .  It ensures that the Service is conducted in a methodical fashion, as per the Manufacturer's specifications.  Frankly, that seems to me to be more reassuring than, perhaps, an Independent who is untrained in that specific Marque and may therefor not be so disciplined.

In any case, if Lexus MK had been guilty of such behaviour, they would hardly have bothered to open the bonnet or put the car up on a ramp - both of which were confirmed by my dashcam!

I would also observe that a Lexus Dealer is obliged to use Lexus approved parts and fluids; an Independent isn't.  This is obviously one area where savings can be made.  These non-Lexus approved items may be perfectly satisfactory.  Or there may be good reasons why they are cheaper.  The problem is that these reasons may take many miles to make themselves apparent!

Somewhat puzzled why you think a Lexus mechanic is not a 'professional'?  To become a Lexus Dealer - indeed to acquire any Dealership - requires a considerable financial investment in, for example, premises, branding, tooling, training, marketing and spares.  Now that may well mean that such overheads make such as Servicing more expensive than an Independent, who has no such investment in the Marque, can offer it at.  But then the mere fact that it has been such an investment means that the Dealer may be more committed to maintaining high standards in all aspects of Customer Service. 

It's all about Customer Retention  and it's not by chance that Lexus regularly tops the annual table for Customer Satisfaction. 

It may also account for the fact that last year Lexus topped (again) the MoT Pass Rate for cars up to five years old with 94.1%.

Yes, you may well save money.  But what evidence do you have that saving money this way will give you a longer period of repair free motoring?

Absolutely agree with this.  And as a car gets older - and loses market value - so owners may choose a cheaper Servicing regime.  Or maybe not bother to Service it all!

If ever you need to form a Posse Leonard, I would like to be a Member, if at all possible.🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

On 2/27/2022 at 9:48 AM, Carriage Return said:

Goodly members of the forum

A year has passed since I carefully sought out my ride - a beautiful 2018 Black CT200h

In that time I've done 7000 hassle free miles and not a peep from the car. It's been a great year. I think having a CATLOCK fitted in the first week of ownership made me sleep much better with her outside. 

Now, the time for MOT and servicing approaches. I've had a look on the forum for commentary around extended warranty and will consider that approach - but my question is a more prosaic one - should I get a combo service/MOT from the Lexus dealership or have the MOT done elsewhere? Any pitfalls or things I should look out for?

Thanks!

Hi,

Mine is booked In this Friday for service and first MOT. Car has less than 12k and it’s in for the 3 year or 30k service and with the MOT they have quoted me £289 from Lexus Teeside.

will update Friday when it get the car back on actual cost.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links